is a carson fun runner a good first trailer?

gotsand450r

i would like to get the people's of DDR opinions? i get back to the lovely U.S. of A. in less than one week :offtopic:. i love camping out at the dunes and tought the wife how to ride and she loves the whole idea of duning. but now that we have a little one, tent camping is out of the question. so i'm in the market for a toyhauler. i don't want to go over board :dunno: and have a toy i cant afford to take out. plus the truck i have now is a 2005 chevy 1500 crew cab Z-71 with a leveling kit on 295 70 17s nitto terra grappers so i'm limited on the size of trailer i can pull

i was thinking of a FC 182 carson titan

i found one for $13000 loaded out pretty good minus a generator, but i have a honda eu2000i gen

what should i do??????????? :MBdance:

They are good trailers... Many peeps on here have started with Carson's. There have been some nice ones for sale around 10k. The only prob I see is your geni being able to run your AC....

i was thing about picking up another honda EU2000i geni to paralle the two together or pick up the EU3000i. i camp at pismo alot i dont think i need it there. would i need to run the AC at dumont after halloween, is it still that hot? what about the truck? it should have no problem right? its just me, my wife, and my son, two quads as of now. no farm equipment yet :dope:

We had a 2003 20' Carson Funrunner for 4 years till we upgraded to a 5th wheel in March. We never had a problem with it. I have a Dodge Ram 2500 and it towed ok ,they do get pretty heavy when they are fully loaded. I think you can find one cheaper. We sold ours for $8500.00.

Edited by GORDONFAN

We started out with a brand new 26ft Funrunner special ordered with 120 gal water, flipped axles, no gen, no microwave...bare minimum. Then in October 05 we went to a WW 5er. Had no problems with the Carson. The WW? Well that's another story, but we love it now. I would totally recommend the Funrunner!

Our first trailer was a Carson 24 ft. w/out microwave or gen. We bought a portable gen. and installed a microwave and we were good to go. We would probably still have had we not outgrown it (3 kids). We bought it used for around $7800. and we sold it a couple years later for $7500. By the way the only time we used our a/c was in our own driveway while cleaning it out. But we normally don't start going to Dumont til Thanksgiving-Presidents Day, most of our summer time is spent at Pismo and we never have to use the a/c there.

thank you to everyone who has replyed so far :bump: this is my first trailer and i'm trying to get as many opinions as i can before i pick one up. i got my eye on a new 18 footer at the carson factory its a blue one with alot of good options, i have never seen a blue toy hauler. it should be easy for friends and family to find it out at the differant camping spots.

is there any options i should go for or stay away from?

double bunks add weight so stick with a single bunk if its just you the wife and child. double goucho's for sure.. pump station if you think you absolutely need it if not im sure a few 5 gallon cans in the back of the truck wont hurt. the eu2000 is a good place to start but might be a bit underpowered for the warmer months. just get the necessities.. i dont think there is a bad option per say but think about what you will use the most? Microwave for heating formula?

If it were my choice... No oven stove or microwave.. everything can be cooked on the pizzaz LOL.. ok maybe a microwave.. Just sit down and think about what matters the most comfort wise between you the wife and the child and choose your options based on that. There will always be one of those " DAMN i knew i should have gotten that option" after the fact but you will live and learn, and include it in the next hauler when you upgrade.

pizzaz cooker and microwave for sure. double goucho's and single pull down queen bunk.

whats a good size fresh, black, grey water tank size?

with my wife, my son and me, we can EASILY get by with 100 gallons of fresh water for an extended weekend.....the longest we have made it was 6 days. :laughing:

black tank...unless your just full of sh*t :jester: 40 gallons is good too. gray tank......40 gallons isn't enough, imo. :laughing: ...but hey, it'll still get U by.

I have a 20ft Funrunner and it works great. I wish i would have got front bathroom instead of front kitchen. I got mine bare and put a sterio and microwave in it. Leave a TV on the floor set it up when i get where i am going. I have a portable gen. Works great. I have went 7 days taking a shower everynight in dumont on a tank of water. Still had some left but i was by myself. Just remember no matter what you get you will find something wrong with it. Mine was back to the factory a few times but now its been great. Good Luck

We didn't have a oven in the Carson but we have one now but have never used it, kind of a waste. But always got tons of use out of the micro and stove, especially when your stuck inside the trailer for a day and a half at Dumont when the wind and sand kick up. We also installed a stereo. And we also had two gouchos and one fold up bunk and it worked just fine until the 3rd kid got too big. And something you might consider is changing your battery to golf cart batts so they stay charged longer or even better a inverter but that can be costly. The only other colored Carson I have seen is a red one and a black one at Pismo. Good luck with whatever you choose.

• 1 month later...

I had a 26' Carson "Titan" trailer and not once did I ever take it in for service, for the 3 years we owned it. Sold it for 14k last year. New one has been in the shop 3 times in a year, we only sold it because all the toys wouldnt fit. The main option i would get is a larger water tank, mine only held 60 gal.

what ever it is your gonna be really happy.....just last night i purchased

a 2000....22ft road house weekend warrior.....i tell you what the wife is gonna be very happy

heres a picpost-3102-1191710180_thumb.jpg

Edited by DuNePrEd