extreme traveling

vegas style

well I just got back from a trip back to north Carolina to move my girlfriends stuff here. it was a good trip and didn't take very long to do having 2 drivers and good conditions. we flew out Monday and spent most of the day travling. with the time change (3 hours)and lay over (2 hours) to change planes.

picked up the truck the next morning (f350 gas 16' box after returning 2 gmcs for different problems) and spent the day loading in 2 different places. then traveling to her dads place for the night about 300 mile for the day.

Wednesday morning we headed out I40 wanting to push through a long day and put some miles down. ended up just east of Oklahoma city right about a 1000 miles for the day :idiot: (states of north Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and Oklahoma)

Thursday after a good night rest we left around 9 am thought we would shoot for gallop and decide what to do then. we made it there around 8pm had dinner and started talking seriously about sleeping in our own bed instead of another hotel. I and taken the first shift of the day about 400 miles and she had taken the next one about 500 miles while I had rested some. I said I was up for pushing on after all it sounded so nice flagstaff, needles, and laughlin (due to the rental truck being banned from the dam crossing) searchlight cross the valley and my comfy bed! sounded so easy! so with a 4 pack of red bull and some bad am radio (my serius sat radio had a melt down on the first day) we headed out and made it home at 3:330am we had 2 time changes that day :mc_smiley: . ended up right at 1300 miles and 21 hours for the day :slap: .(states of texas, new mexico, arizona, and nevada) it was all 70-75 top speed I40. never felt too tired with having a break and a nap while robin was driving. and having someone to chat with. I have pulled 8 or so 1000 mile trips solo before but this was the most miles in a single day in on the road. :headbang1:

so what kind of miles or time have you traveled? flying is a whole another topic! :lol:

thats not to bad for 2 people. I used to drive to my dads house in Idaho springs which is 30 miles west of denver, 800 miles approx in about 10 hours normally, which was always in winter time. So roads arent always the greatest when hitting the mountains.

Did have 1 trip where the roads were so bad, major accidents, and the road was closed twice, and also at one point snow was coming down so hard, was doin about 15 on the 70. couldnt really see the road at all, was following the tail lights in front of me. Then got to the tunnel and they had the road closed for the second time. We got stuck sitting outside the tunnel on 70 for about 2 hrs. Did I mention the temp was -8 degrees. Needless to say left the truck running the whole time.

was pretty funny being stuck up there with all these other people in their cars and my son had to go to the bathroom. so he gets outta the car runs to the side of the freeway, falls in a snow bank. he didnt find it to funny, I did though. :headbang1:

Anyways. thats my travel story of when I was actually driving.

Ive gone back and forth across the united states about 6 times when I was younger with my parents. I wanna say we made it from Kentucky to Vegas in 3 days once with my mom being the only driver.

Longest MOST deadliest trip ever

Lived in Charleston SC, working construction after hurricane Hugo. Worked all day got off work at 3:30 went back to the apartment loaded all my stuff up (back then I could fit it all in my Toyota truck) drove until 4 AM pulled off in a hotel parking lot 'till the sun came up 6 or so back on the road with a HUGE cup of Joe.

Drove all the way until about hour outside of Denver I think it was 3 am started hillucinating (thought I drove through a brick wall) slammed on the brakes swerved the whole nine yards, my brother and sister in law following me and them switching off each gas up followed me down the next gas station where I was running around the station...

my brother was like WTF was that??? I told him, and he said maybe Sharon better drive your truck 4 a while she said she would, but didnt want to drive through Denver, so I got an hour under my belt felt like a million bucks back behind the wheel until we got to Cheyenne Wy (where we grew up) got in about 6 AM went directly to bed after the HI's Hello's and about noon back up loaded the truck with Beer (really full) from the rails to the front and back with cases of beer for a week in Lake Powell, and then drove the 600 miles to Lake Powell.....

That was a LOOOONNNNGGGGG 2 Days!!!!!!!!!! BUT had a week to get over it!!! :headbang1: Course I was much younger then, now I need a nap when I drive to the 7-11 :idiot:

When I was six, my parents being both school teachers, took us across the country in a motorhome. All together it took us 6 months, we took the first three months out of school. Started out in Washington, then zigzagged up and down the US, hitting all of the continental United States. We stopped at every historical site along the way. We had to keep scrap books and write stories about what we had seen. Being only 6, I really only had to draw pics and a sentence or two. I turned 7 in Maine, where my mom invited the entire campground for my birthday party. Then we crossed into Canada and traveled through Canada to Alaska. Spent sometime in Alaska with grandparents, then back home to Washington. Best trip ever. I remember soo much even though I was little and I learned more about the US then I could have in any book!! :headbang1:

Driving myself? Back and forth from Washington to Florida to help a friend move there, took us two weeks.

Edited by buggychick

Years ago me and a friend of mine did a trip from here to Indiana. We had to takes his dad's Vette to him. Made some stop along the way, to visit some of his family. Awsome road trip, and awsome timing too. Made it from here to Albaquerque (sp) NM in about 6 hrs. Left 11 pm at night , pulled in at around 5-530.....i think the fastest we hit was around 120-132 mph......it was awsome.

About 4 years ago me and Dave (sikkbanshee) shot down to Houston to trade in my 96 Impalla SS for my F250. We left Thurs night at 10pm and were at the dealership the next night by 8pm. Drove straight through. Hit 125-130mph couple of times. Turned around on saturday afternnon and were back here in Vegas early afternoon on Sunday even after stopping at a buddies house in Kingman for a while. Now that was a fun weekend. He swears he will never do that again! Good times though! And he is banned from eating McGriddles while on a road trip with me. :laughoff:

The first long distance trip I took was when I was 16. My brother and I decided to head out from Vegas to Charlotte, NC. That was a fun trip, did it in a Ford Festiva. Man that car got some killer gas mileage.

After that, I've driven from here to Myrtle Beach, Hilton Head, Charlotte, a couple trips to Kentucky and then all back again.

One of my most memorable trips was a few years ago with my Son. We flew into Huntsville, AL to pick up a piece of equipment for my company ( a BIG street sweeper). We drove back, stopping in Memphis,AR then again in Normon, OK to see me niece. We left OK and drove straight through to Vegas, total of 18 hours on the road that day.

Longest trips though have been to China (a bunch of times), Indonesia and soon to be another trip to China but before that will be a trip to New York for a week and then straight to Japan with a turnaround trip back to China in January. And to think I will be at Dumont in between those. Those trips are a mother, going over the international date line really screws up the sleep schedule. +15 hours to China, +16 hours to Japan and +14 hours to Indonesia.

Pheww, I'm tired just thinking about it.

after i moved to vegas from portland oregon. i found out my mom had breast cancer. i took off and made the 1000 mile trip in 13 hours no tickets and surprised my parents just as they were sitting down to the breakfast table. it was just what mom needed.

that was in my civic that was all raced out low, fast, and killer stereo. cruzed at 90-95mph alot of the way.

I have done the Vegas to Charlotte trip a few times... our shuttle truck does it once a week during the summer months.. I left here drove to elk creek Ok.. then into charlotte in my chev.. comming back to vegas did charlotte to OK city then to flag Staff, ran into some bad weather outside Gallop. Its a pretty fun drive... except Arkansas dont stop in Arkansas....

Steve.....when did you get a girlfriend? She was in the states? I thought you were gonna get a Russian bride from the classifieds!!!! :angry2: I'M JUST KIDDING BRO........

Back on topic, my dad and I did Detroit to Vegas in 27.5 hours!!!!

i did southern cali to dc in 2 days... boy that wasnt a blast..

:flipoff::lol: Jesus H Christmas! 2 DAYS! :flipoff::lol:

Ok as for long trips which dont seem all that bad after reading some others.....

I used to drive 900 miles from Ct to western Michigan to go to Silverlake dunes for the weekend (yes weekend) did that 3 times :banghead:

On 9/11 I left for Little Sahara Oklahoma. I was picking up a friend in Philly on the way to Oklahoma, but since ALL of NY and the major highways in and out of NY were closed I had to go around the city. I spent the night in Philly and left the next morning for Oklahoma. My friend I drove with "said" he was more than capable of towing a trailer and "has done it many times"...... well after driving 10hrs I asked him to drive so I could sleep. We didnt get 3 miles up the highway before he almost killed the two of us. Needless to say I was wide awake and drove the rest of the way. We stayed the night in a hotel and finished up another 13 hrs of driving the next day. (29hrs total) No sooner did we get to the park we were harrassed until we unloaded and went for a bitchen ride.

Last year I drove from Ct to Vegas alone in 3 days. I would average around 14hrs a day. 2798 miles in 3 days. Got out of the truck and started helping ynot polish the wheels on his car

Then dont forget the loonnnng trips from the northwest part of town to henderson :flipoff::dunno: Its like driving to the other side of the planet! Sheesh~ :flipoff:

Edited by b370