? on towing toyhauler in the sand

YamaKiller

Got a quick question and wanted to get some feedback.

We usually camp around the second sand finger backed up to the finger facing the opeing to cop hill. (B6 on the map looking at the opening)

Old toyhauler weighed @15k-16k loaded 2 axle. So that is about 3750-4k on each tire. We usually made it there and out with no problems. Sometimes a little hard getting back up to the road where the vendors were but never got stuck or towed.

New trailer weighs @ 20K but triple axle so that is only @3333 on each tire. I am worried about going to the same spot and getting stuck. Seems like it will be just as easy since less weight on each tire but yet more weight for the truck to tow. And also I heard that triple axle is more drag in the sand regardless that the weight is spread out more.

What do you guys think? anyone have experience going from dual to triple axle?

Thanks

nice looking truck. Let me know how the tires work in the sand for you. We almost bought that same trailer, nice layout. Nitto does not make the dune grappler in my size but they do make the terra grappler.

I have the terra grapplers on 20's and I have the Le3305 so you have a few feet on me, and I have had no troubles out there, and I have never put it in 4 wheel. The Terra's float over the sand..

So.... Mike. how did it do???

pulled in no problem...probably could have done it in 2 wheel drive but the ground was very hard packed due to rain on tuesday (what I heard). It still seems to tow better on the road and in the sand. I think even though it is 5000K heavier, it tows better due to triple axles. We'll see in a few months when the sand is all tore up how it does. If you see a big tractor towing out a red dodge with a big WW behind it, you'll know the was me :flipoff:

pulled in no problem...probably could have done it in 2 wheel drive but the ground was very hard packed due to rain on tuesday (what I heard). It still seems to tow better on the road and in the sand. I think even though it is 5000K heavier, it tows better due to triple axles. We'll see in a few months when the sand is all tore up how it does. If you see a big tractor towing out a red dodge with a big WW behind it, you'll know the was me :shake:

Hey Mike seemed like your dually had plenty of nuts. I was a few rigs behind you when we left. You your pulling better than the rigs between us! :shake:

Hey Mike seemed like your dually had plenty of nuts. I was a few rigs behind you when we left. You your pulling better than the rigs between us! :shake:

could have been better at the top but some rv slowed me down and i lost it down to 45 2 nd gear. if I don't have anyone in front of me I can pull the top of the hill at 60. I am really impressed with the dodge. Getting the transmission upgraded next week with shift kit and billet torque converter. Should be even better.

• 1 month later...

DO YOU PUT LESS AIR PRESSURE WHEN DRIVING IN THE SAND

normally you can...but with my rig I can not or do not want to as my dually tires would touch and that is not good. Airing down the trailer is also not a real option for me as the weight of this trailer is a lot and I would be afraid to do it....

• 4 weeks later...

I'm pulling a WW 35ft and with Dumont it's not an issue until you hit real soft sand, but at Pismo, all tires are set to 15lbs otherwise you'll spend the evening looking at the fish via your kitchen window..... :DDRrocks::rockon:

yeah i only have an Expedition and my fully loaded 10k 23ft. I pull has no problems in Pismo either. Just air down all tires, including trailer, and I'm set to go. Well I also have a blower on the truck to boost me through most of it! :D