Seatbelts

SandBox_Kid

Not to add insult to injury...but those seatbelts are looking like they've had enough UV.....

just a thought...I know you already have other issues.

They don't look like they do in the pics. They are dirty and my camera doesn't help much either. They actually aren't that old, but I was thinking of getting some new one anyways ever since the whole seatbelt problem people have been having..but that's another thread. Thanks for lookin out though. :huh:

I don't follow major racing sanctions because I'm not majorly racing my car. I f that was the case for normal use you would have to replace the seat belts in your street car every 2 years. Think about it your seat belts in your car get 10 times the use of any race car. :laughoff:

I hear people saying every 2-3 years replace your belts... i believe they go by 2 years cuz thats what major racing sanctions go by..

It's 2 years and from what I understand all belts have a date stamp on them. I don't think twice about it..... It's too cheap considering the cost of injury of life.

Ya but your street car isnt doing 80mph around a huge bowl either!!! or launching over transistions, or doing wheelies up comp is it!!!

So are you saying that cars like Ferraris and Corvettes and Camaros and Firebirds and any others cars that do over 80 mph should have their seatbelts changed every 2 years? Let's use some common sense. The average peson out there doesn't need to change all their seat belts every 2 years.

Hey Nick how often do you change your seat belts? :laughing:

And my car won't do wheelies .

It's too slow. :yeah_whatever:

its his porogative if he doesnt want to change his belts... but we are talking about a 1500lb car composed of sticks of 1.5" tubing and thin a$$ sheet metal.. sorry but better safe than sorry.. especially when its your life at stake!

Actually most rails have the seat belts mounted incorrectly. The above rail is no exception, unless your very very very short those belts are in wrong. The shoulder harness mount should not be below your shoulders. Or above. If you error on one side or the other its ussually to mount below the should, but it should NEVER exceed a 45 degree angle, or about 4 inches below the shoulder. IMO it should be 75-90 degrees to your shoulders. In an impact, if the shoulder belt mount is below your shoulders, the impact causes the belt to shorten as your body pushed against it, thus causing compression fractures of your spine.

In the above rail , I thnk most adults will have there shoulders above the corner of the seats even, and by running the belts through the seat you make the angle much much to great. Even over the top of the seat for most adults (me anyways but Im tall) the rear bar would be to low to get a safe angle on the belt.

OEM belts are designed to last. Oem cars are designed soft.....most things in cars now are soft, not like a 57 chevy steel dash or a roll bar in a rail. OEM's also have air bags..... The belts are not designed to be the sole source of deceleration in other words. Crush zones, air bags, softer interior plastic etc....all slows down the impact. In a rail, not much if anything gives.....geuss were the force of the impact lands then....on you, caus ethe car doesn t absorb any.

Racing belts are your sole source of controlled deceration. Racing belts ARE designed to strech up to 25% on impact. That is why you always were them tight. They will be loose after an impact, if you were them loose you run the risk of slipping through or have your body move much more then you expected. This runs big risks in rails with solid odjects all around you , the roll bar.

Uv (sun light) degrades the racing belts webbing, making it brittle, taking the strech out of the belt. With enough exposure the threading can break and have virtually no cotrolled strecth which imposes the force of the impact directly on your body. If exposed to sunlight for two years, it is a risk. The two year rules in racing exists because not everyone has enclosed trailers or garages. Some people have there cars exposed to sunlight virtually everyday of the two years, and the rule is for those guys. If your car is covered, parked in a trailer and a garage you can go much longer then two years safely. All rules exist for the lowest or worst situation. If you compare oem application to racing, or rails, or what ever, you are sorely mistaken. I mean very sore if your lucky.

What did I do today? Install a roll cage in a race car.

Edited by 1320

When I heard about the sewn in Crow's ripping.....I replaced mine right away. I was going to ask Crow to replace the bottom portion of the shoulder harness but after inspecting them they were out of date, and they were the 2x3's. We are building a baja for my son, and just put in the class 11 cage.....so there was a new set of 3x3's available and not being used at the moment. I like the 3x3's much better and my son wants his replaced with the 3x3's with sewn in padding.

I'm also thinking about moving my rear bar where the shoulders mount....I'm not super happy about where it is now.

Sorry about the thread hijack dunefreak.....oh well...it's a good subject anyhow.