damn LV peeps...any of you go to this place within the last few years?

Richard Cheese

Terrifying news

Health officials say unsafe procedures at Las Vegas clinic have put thousands at risk

Fri, Feb 29, 2008 (2:08 a.m.)

The news Wednesday that 40,000 people should undergo testing for life-threatening blood diseases because they were treated at a private Las Vegas clinic where safety procedures governing the use of syringes and vials were commonly violated was beyond shocking.

As Southern Nevada Health District officials related the news at an afternoon news conference, it became obvious what they were describing: a terrifying development for the individuals and families affected, and an outrage for the whole community.

Health District officials said the unsafe procedures occurring exclusively during the administration of anesthesia medication took place at the Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada, at 700 Shadow Lane.

They recommended that all those who had procedures requiring injected anesthesia at the clinic between March 2004 and Jan. 11 of this year have their blood tested for hepatitis B, hepatitis C and HIV. All three of those illnesses have a range of severity but can eventually result in death, district officials said.

The risk to anesthesia patients occurred because the clinic’s staff commonly used the same syringe for both injecting a patient and then drawing up new medication from another vial for that same patient. This process posed a serious risk for contaminating the remaining medicine in the vial, yet it was common at the clinic for that leftover medicine to be used for a second patient, district officials reported.

Health District and state health officials zeroed in on the clinic last month after identifying a hepatitis C cluster six patients over the past few months, when two cases a year are normal. A common factor among the patients was their anesthesia procedures at the Endoscopy Center of Southern Nevada.

The unsafe practices at the clinic involving syringes and vials have been corrected, Health District officials said, which is why the clinic is being allowed to remain open.

Correcting what should never have happened, however, is not enough. The Nevada Board of Medical Examiners should thoroughly investigate why standard procedures that are understood even by laymen were not followed by doctors and other trained staff.

In our view, the Clark County district attorney’s office should open an investigation as well, to determine whether any criminal charges should be filed.

Yeah! Thats pretty messed up isn't it. i went to google.com and typed in endoscopy and on the VERY ad/information was this:

Sponsored LinkHepatitis in Las Vegas

YOURLAWYER.COM Were you a patient of the Endoscopy Cntr of S. Nevada Call 800-LAW-INFO

Fuggin' Lawers. talk about not wasting time. Jezzzzzz :headbang1:

I hate to say it, but I feel a bunch of lawsuits are going to be filed against them. That is just bad news. Being doctors or nurses, they should know about the possiblity of contamination by re-sticking a used needle back into the viles. MORONS! Somebody that doesn't deserve it is going to die because of the establishemnt appearenty trying to cut costs. I hope no-one I know is affected by this and if they are, I am sorry for them. Just having to go get tested because of it would scare anyone.

I work in the medical field in Las Vegas. Having done so since I moved here I can tell you that medicine in Vegas sucks. I am a nurse and so is my wife. We both have over 20 years as nurses, most of that as Emergency Room nurses. I would not let almost all of the doctors that I have come in to contact with here in Vegas touch me. This latest item does not suprise me at all. In fact I have specific instructions that if I am hurt at Dumont that I want to be flown to Loma Linda in Caifornia instead ofback here to Vegas as they do most of the injuries out there.

I work in the medical field in Las Vegas. Having done so since I moved here I can tell you that medicine in Vegas sucks. I am a nurse and so is my wife. We both have over 20 years as nurses, most of that as Emergency Room nurses. I would not let almost all of the doctors that I have come in to contact with here in Vegas touch me. This latest item does not suprise me at all. In fact I have specific instructions that if I am hurt at Dumont that I want to be flown to Loma Linda in Caifornia instead ofback here to Vegas as they do most of the injuries out there.

one of my friends daughters lost her lower leg in a wreck in Vegas...the family has been told by doctors back here in bako that the leg didnt need to be amputated, but was due to poor quality of medical attention in Vegas..

thats what they have told me :assblast:

Damn, good point. I need to get that will worked out...

It was just anounced that they closed clinic #5 for unsafe practices!

This one is over in Henderson on Horizon "Gasteroenterology Center of Nevada"

I'm glad mine was done at Sunrise hospital....hopefully a hospital can get it right.

On another note....if you are going to quest diagnostics for blood....MAKE AN APPT. I was there for 2 1/2 hours on Fri. :beercheers:

I don't think it's a Vegas only problem, I'm sure it's more wide spread than that. I honestly think it's an HMO problem. They are run like a business, Supercuts, get 'em in and outta the chair in 10 minutes! Save those $$$ wherever they can, it's all about the bottom line!! :beercheers:

I'm glad mine was done at Sunrise hospital....hopefully a hospital can get it right.

On another note....if you are going to quest diagnostics for blood....MAKE AN APPT. I was there for 2 1/2 hours on Fri. :beercheers:

Just dont classify UMC as a hospitol then, youre almost guaranteed dead going in that joke of a dump.