Some Questions

ash

Okay, I have a 2002 F250 PSD with 57,000 miles on it and it's a great truck, but today I got to sit in the 2006 Dodge Ram Mega Cab Cummins. I'm seriously debating trading in my truck for this truck and I'm kinda stuck on what to do. I'd like some input from the DDR group. They are offering me $26,000 trade in value sit unseen right now against the Mega Cab at $46,000 plus some rebates of about $4,000. The reason I am thinking of switching is power, but then again, I don't know if I'm going to gain anymore power than I have. Right now I run a 4" Banks exhaust, guages, Edge programmer. It's got power and I pull Mt. Potosi with a full load in a 40 foot 5er at 48 mph. Will I get anymore gains from a Dodge Cummins? Also, I am thinking of a dually. I know I saw a DDR sticker on the back of a Ford dually coming home from the clean-up and I would like to know if having a dually makes a difference in towing stability?? My wife thinks I'm nuts for thinking of this, but I had to ask. Thanks for any input.

That Ford dually would more than likely be wingnut, ash.

I personally have always been a Chevy guy, so I can't offer you much help on those 2 trucks, sorry. I love my DMax though.... 60mph up Potisi (going to Dumont) fully loaded w/ my 34 ft t/h! :laughing:

Either way you go though, they are all good trucks. Sounds like if you like your truck already and it works for you- I wouldn't take the plunge just because of the nice new factor. I doubt you would really gain any power from the Cummins over what you already have. Sounds like you have a good setup already. Just my .02. :laughing:

I agree, if it works don t fix it. I think you could make more power with the cummins, err more towing power. You could possibily get better reliabilty. I d like to think the cummins is the best engine, but they all have bad stories, it just depends on who you talk to. I drive 3500 dually ram with a cummins. Its 12 valve though, not a 24, it the 98, the last year for the 12 valve. Its over 200k miles now.

The mega cab I don t belive is available in a long bed or a dually though, so towing big with one is gonna take a slder hitch and probably overload the tires before you overload the truck itself.

After towing with a dually, and a gooseneck and 5 th wheel, I have no plans to ever go back to a single rear whelel truck or a tag trailer.

I have a 05 dodge cummins all banks out I pull a 37ft 5th and have no problem with it I can pull it as fast as I like on the flats and can pull tehachapi coming out of bakersfield at 60-65 no problem first trip to dumont with trailer at 16500 could pull at 65-70 truck likes to run faster than I like have to watch the speed.

... what do you see in the semi's w/ millions of miles... what type of diesel's do you see making huge power... thats right the INLINE 6.. :D

What type of diesels do you see on the road all day, every day towing enormous toyhaulers and trailers?......that's right...all of them! They are all good trucks. Every one of the diesels are good engines...Powerstroke, Cummins, Duramax. In my opinion, they have ALL been proven to be reliable and crank out tons of power, it's just a matter of preference.

The dually will give you some added stablity, but if it's gonna be your daily driver, I'd stick w/ the 1 ton SRW. But that's just me.

depends on the purpose...

Chevy IFS & Interior, Dodge Motor, Allison Trans, Ford Body!! put them all together and have one HELLLLUVA truck! :D but since that will never happen... Ill take the Dmax for the comfort and ride!! :D

Not trying to start a Ford vs Chevy vs Dodge, but everyone will always have a favorite. Its just an opinion, so if you like your truck, then keep it. Why get an extra payment if you have something that works already? The guy that just bought my trailer drove up from San Diego in his 05 Duramax and while he was there told me he missed his 7.3 ford powerstroke. He told me he traded it in for (and I quote) "the 6 point toilet powertsroke" He said he had so many problems that his buddy at chevy hooked him up with a killer deal to get out of the 6.0. Anyway long story short, if you like what you got, then keep it. If you want to learn how to get some serious power out of it check this site...www.dieselstop.com or send me a PM. I used to run the Edge Evolution stacked with the Banks 6 Gun. Now I have something way better!

Hope that helps,

J.J.

Edited by lvnalolife

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to keep my F250. Yeah I love my truck, I even love it more knowing it's paid for. I have enough power as it stands and it's really not a race to see who gets to the dunes first, so with that said, I am going to save up some money over the off season and buy a semi. Like Ynot said, it's really not about the power as much as the control and breaking. Thanks for all the input!

Thanks for all the input. I have decided to keep my F250. Yeah I love my truck, I even love it more knowing it's paid for. I have enough power as it stands and it's really not a race to see who gets to the dunes first, so with that said, I am going to save up some money over the off season and buy a semi. Like Ynot said, it's really not about the power as much as the control and breaking. Thanks for all the input!

Good call. Especially since your rig is paid for. I agree with most of the comments here. Like Pete said, they're all great rigs. Also, to agree with Pete again, the duallys are fantastic for stability..................but you should hear me cus like a sailor every time I have to park mine. If u need more power thats not a problem. Just remember if you start maxing out power to build the tranny too!!

Good call. Especially since your rig is paid for. I agree with most of the comments here. Like Pete said, they're all great rigs. Also, to agree with Pete again, the duallys are fantastic for stability..................but you should hear me cus like a sailor every time I have to park mine. If u need more power thats not a problem. Just remember if you start maxing out power to build the tranny too!!

I agree on the tranny building up too! After the first rebuild, I had them upgrade the TQ and added a shift kit. Another good mod is the Sonnax/Tricumilator valve springs install. Its about $50 and well worth it. AN even better fix would be to save up (since it is paid for now) and get a bullet proof tranny from a place called BTS. Do a search for it on the site I recommended above and you will see some good info.

So far I have been through 3 trailers ranging from a 30' bumper pull to my current 40' 5er which is my last (so my wife says). I have never had a problem towing them and power is plenty. I like the programmer since it allows me to drive in Stock, Tow, Race and Extreme modes, although I have never gone passed Race. My tranny holds strong and my truck is used almost nightly pulling a 7x14 enclosed trailer with pressure washing equipment. Before I bought any of my trailers, I had air bags installed with onboard air compressor and a set of helper springs, so when I do put my 5er or pressure washing trailer on it, the truck does not sag at all. I only have about 57k miles on it and I bought the 100k mile extended warranty through Ford, so I am good for a few more miles on the tranny. Hopefully it will explode before the warranty is up and I can just get a new one. I also had commercial brakes put on from Ford installed and that helps out tremendously with the trailers. Hopefully I can get my semi before the end of summer and have my truck lifted again. If you know of anyone selling a nice Day cab FL, Peterbuilt or similar, let me know. I am also in the market for a Box Van, 14' box, diesel preffered but I will take a gas motor.