Fuel Injector Issues

Sandpirates2

Truck started running really rough coming home from Cali last week pulling the TH, when we came up the final climb on the Baker Grade into Vegas. Was able nurse the truck home drop the TH and after changing fuel filters, no change, so took it to the local ford dealer here in Vegas. Got the truck back today, and they found two bad injectors and decided to replace a third one. They also upgraded my progamming and sent me home with a $100 deductible on a $1483.00 bill. Thank God for ESP this time....I've got service records that shows I replace those fuel filters ($85.00 set) every 15K miles, which is twice what Ford says to do it, so I thought I was being safe. Apparently not, but they could not give me a specific reason for the injectors failing. We originally thought it was bad fuel in Barstow at the Pilot Truck Stop, but they check the fuel for contamination and no issues were found. Just seems like a high dollar amount for 3 injectors....Must be the mechanic's big bucks for labor :headbang1:

....Must be the mechanic's big bucks for labor :headbang1:

I doubt the tech made out that well if it was covered under warranty (even extended). That seems like a reasonable bill for 3 injectors on a diesel. :beerpint:

Oh and BTW, injectors don't go bad because of plugged fuel filters. They just fail on their own sometimes.

Those injectors are probably just as pricey as the D Max ones like ISBB said.

Glad you got it all handled, Mike. Just in time for your trip. :beerpint:

I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - I have nothing worth adding to this post!! - x2 on what dunefreak said...injectors on diesels are not cheap...something like 4k to change out all 8 on a d-max ??? :headbang1: glad to hear ;you got it fixed

from the horror stories i have heard about fords, esp the the late o3-06 model 6.0......you got off lucky

my father in law has been diesel mechanic/engineer for a long time and he always suggested to change the filter every 10,000 miles. I buy my filters on the internet and change them for about 40 bucks.

40 bones for a fuel filter? thats a lot of money :DDRrocks:

GM has the audacity to charge over 50 for the ?Dmax fuel filter

i think ford is so high because they have 2 fuel filters ??? :DDRrocks:

glad i have a cummins...5 $ fleetguard filter and i change every other oil change, fuel quality is bad, and it is bad if you run bio-diesel

Truck started running really rough coming home from Cali last week pulling the TH, when we came up the final climb on the Baker Grade into Vegas. Was able nurse the truck home drop the TH and after changing fuel filters, no change, so took it to the local ford dealer here in Vegas. Got the truck back today, and they found two bad injectors and decided to replace a third one. They also upgraded my progamming and sent me home with a $100 deductible on a $1483.00 bill. Thank God for ESP this time....I've got service records that shows I replace those fuel filters ($85.00 set) every 15K miles, which is twice what Ford says to do it, so I thought I was being safe. Apparently not, but they could not give me a specific reason for the injectors failing. We originally thought it was bad fuel in Barstow at the Pilot Truck Stop, but they check the fuel for contamination and no issues were found. Just seems like a high dollar amount for 3 injectors....Must be the mechanic's big bucks for labor :DDRrocks:

Unfortunately, thats one of the issues with 6.0's

$100 deductible on a $1483.00 bill. Thank God for ESP this time Just seems like a high dollar amount for 3 injectors....Must be the mechanic's big bucks for labor :DDRrocks:

:no_no: And that's at warrenty pricing and labor time. Customer pay, you would have been out of pocket probably about $2200+. Poor tech lost about 4 hours labor on that one. Don't worry though, he'll get it back from you next time :lol:

Diesel injectors are big $$$. They have enough pressure to cut your hand off.

• 3 months later...

Just a lil FYI...

Ford 6.0L injectors are $300 each

and warranty labor pays to replace an injector 2.0hrs left bank and 3.9hrs right bank.

The largest problem we see with the 03-06 6.0L in our fleet at work is the EGR valve plugging with carbon causing it to stick open and severly missfire.

wow, those are expesive injectors.

The cummins 370 injectors (which can make around 600 hp) run about 300 new for all 6. DDP 4's that I got used cause they never go bad anyways, are around 800 for a set of 6 new.

Takes about 1 hr to change them all.

A friend was telling me that he thought his 6.0 as leaking fuel from the injector into the cooling system through a sleeve around the injector? Later he thought that it might be a bad head? Sounded strange to me.

He still hasnt fixed it, and is still driving it, with a lot of diesel in the radiator.

Just a lil FYI...

Ford 6.0L injectors are $300 each

and warranty labor pays to replace an injector 2.0hrs left bank and 3.9hrs right bank.

The largest problem we see with the 03-06 6.0L in our fleet at work is the EGR valve plugging with carbon causing it to stick open and severly missfire.

had that happen to me :beerbong: :beerbong: :beerbong: :beerbong: :bert: