Generator help!

Dune Cruzer

I've got a Generac 5500 that wouldn't crank over. Ran out, bought a starter & solenoid and a new spark plug. I got it to crank over, but there's no spark. Batteries are dual 6V deep cycles, fully charged. I'm running outta hair to pull out, anyone have any suggestions??

It's been sitting for about 2 weeks before this problem developed. Ran fine then. I'm getting the shop book for this model from the Gen-Tech shop here in town on 5/8. Hopefully I can troubleshoot the problem. I'm surprised none of you "techs" out there didn't chime in. Could it be the magneto coil or circuit board? I'm not getting any spark at the plug...

LOL, you guys are nuts. What does low oil have to do with not getting any spark at the plug anyways? The oil level is fine. I got her runnin' tonite!!! Unplugged the wiring harness from the circuit board and plugged it back in and guess what? Yep, she started right up. Must have been a loose contact, or dirt or something in there. Anyways, hopefully It'll continue to run once it's all back together. Thanks for the all the help!! :breakdance:

LOL, you guys are nuts. What does low oil have to do with not getting any spark at the plug anyways? The oil level is fine. I got her runnin' tonite!!! Unplugged the wiring harness from the circuit board and plugged it back in and guess what? Yep, she started right up. Must have been a loose contact, or dirt or something in there. Anyways, hopefully It'll continue to run once it's all back together. Thanks for the all the help!! :breakdance:

Actually IF it were low on oil that would have triggered a low oil switch to kill power to the ignition resulting in no spark.

Glad you got it fixed. :D

The shop manual said nothing about low oil. :breakdance: if it has a low oil shut-off or not. Go it back together & of course it didn't start up. Guess I'm gonna have to fork out for the circuit board for some peace of mind.

Edited by Dooner

Defintly check the oil first as stated here, most gennys do have a switch in the oil pan that kills spark if the oil is low.

If it worked after unplugging and plugging the board why waste money on a new one? Buy some contact cleaner and some fine sandpaper then go to work getting all the crud off the connector.

Im I the only cheap a$$ on here that would rather try to fix something instead of replacing it?????

Edited by britincali

Defintly check the oil first as stated here, most gennys do have a switch in the oil pan that kills spark if the oil is low.

If it worked after unplugging and plugging the board why waste money on a new one? Buy some contact cleaner and some fine sandpaper then go to work getting all the crud off the connector.

Im I the only cheap a$$ on here that would rather try to fix something instead of replacing it?????

Nope I do not think you are the only "cheap a$$" that fixes things that can be fixed.