VW Horsepower

sandawg

Any of you VW motor users know what the approx H,P, is with the different sized motors that are popular. 1915, 2180. 2236 etc.etc. No turbo and a mild build up. Good heads and cam only!

thanks

Edited by SANDAWG

I had a 1915 with 90 hp, a 2180 with 150 hp, and a 2332 with over 200 hp, the 1915 was mild the other two had big heads, big cam and high compression.

That is exactally what I needed to know, thanks to all of you. I would love to get 200HP in my rail. Compared to the weight difference for my old 2.3 Turbo ford that had about 240-250 HP with 15#'s of boost I would love to have that and not the weight!!!!

thanks again!!

Edited by SANDAWG

A 2276 and a 2332 are basicially the same motor with the 2332 having a slightly bigger piston. If your contemplating doing either size motor I would highly suggest doing the 2276. It will have a thicker cylinder wall and will help keep the motor cooler. I had a 2276 in my chenowith 4 seat car and loved it. Make sure your trans is geared for the cam your going to use and the weight of the car. I did alot of homework on my car and it turned out perfect. You don't want to motor to be running out of RPM's and your still not ready to shift. It sucks going between gears because the trans isn't geard for the motor.

Ask ISBB, I drove my car like a quad in Glamis. I was able to keep it in the power band and I had turning brakes.

Also--- Dual carbs are the only way to go unless your going to turbo the thing. But be ready to to some tinkering to get them syncd. It takes a while to get it right but after some practice it gets fairly easy.

Edited by bp-guy

A 2276 and a 2332 are basicially the same motor with the 2332 having a slightly bigger piston. If your contemplating doing either size motor I would highly suggest doing the 2276. It will have a thicker cylinder wall and will help keep the motor cooler. I had a 2276 in my chenowith 4 seat car and loved it. Make sure your trans is geared for the cam your going to use and the weight of the car. I did alot of homework on my car and it turned out perfect. You don't want to motor to be running out of RPM's and your still not ready to shift. It sucks going between gears because the trans isn't geard for the motor.

Ask ISBB, I drove my car like a quad in Glamis. I was able to keep it in the power band and I had turning brakes.

Also--- Dual carbs are the only way to go unless your going to turbo the thing. But be ready to to some tinkering to get them syncd. It takes a while to get it right but after some practice it gets fairly easy.

2276 and 2332 both have 94mm pistons, 2276 has 82mm crank and 2332 has 84mm crank. :headbang1:

I'm with Tim on this one. 2276 is the combo foe schizzzz. :headbang1:

You don't want to over stroke a VW motor.

I had my 2276 for about 9 years. Babied the chit out of it though. :gayboy:

I also had 45 dellortos, syncin' was pretty easy. Get and read the Dellorto book. It's awesome. :yiah:

Build a throttle stop so you don't bend the tabs and throw them out of sync.

Cheese, They're a lot easier on a sandcar than a Bug. :lol: (access)

Good luck, and keep us posted DAWG.

R-

I'm with Tim on this one. 2276 is the combo foe schizzzz. :dunno:

You don't want to over stroke a VW motor.

I had my 2276 for about 9 years. Babied the chit out of it though. :slap:

I also had 45 dellortos, syncin' was pretty easy. Get and read the Dellorto book. It's awesome. :yiah:

Build a throttle stop so you don't bend the tabs and throw them out of sync.

Cheese, They're a lot easier on a sandcar than a Bug. :thumb: (access)

Good luck, and keep us posted DAWG.

R-

Thanks again to all.

I have Webber 40MM IDF's on it now. Due to limited funds, since I can't seem to sell the quad, I will be limited to what I do. The tranny is stock and that will need to be upgraded no matter what I do. The case work needed to go "big" is also a $$ problem. I would consider going with a 1776 with a turbo if I could swap someone the carbs out. Would like a single carb like my old 1641 had 20 yrs. ago. I'm also thinking about looking for a light 4 cyl of some other type that I can buy cheap and rebuild myself that will do 150 or so HP. Retirement is great but the limited income now clamps me down! The 2.3 I built was all the HP I needed but it was so damn heavy.

I'm in no hurry, at least until prez. day weekend. May even have to do it on the off season.

I've only had this one out once and need another trip to really evaluate what this supposed 1835 can do for me.

Thanks again! :beercheers:

I hate to say it being a VW guy myself but a stock Subaru engine would really do you well in your predicament. The only problem being the adaptor to the tranny costing you as well. I do agree on the tranny though, you may even think about a bus tranny unless you are going mid engine.

Side note on the carb sinc issue; you need to tune the carbs with a carb sinc tool for air pressure and then dial them in by ear. I have only used Dellorto carbs and even used them on a 55 oval, talk about cramped? I did just fine! :beercheers:

i had dual delortos in my 69 vw bug with a 1776 (my high school ride)...man that thing was a b*tch to sync the carbs...once i got it down, it seemed like i had to do it like every freekin week

Sounds like your engine was tired and your valves needed to be adjusted as well. Not talkin' chit- but I know my VW's...

Sounds like your engine was tired and your valves needed to be adjusted as well. Not talkin' chit- but I know my VW's...

My future Son in Law told me to look at the MR2 Turbo. Looks interesting, light and +- 200 HP stock. sure is a "winder" though. 6600 RPM power range. Like driving a Busa!

Aren't Suburu's expensive and getting hard to find? Thought about that too.

the "hunt' goes on!

I do like unique. After all, I raced Fords when everyone else did the Chevy thing. :angry2:

I have had 1776 ,1835 and last vw motor a 2285 and it hauled azz but always had to tinker with

the motor almost every trip I had $2200.00 in parts into the 2285 now i'm on my 2nd season with

my 2.0 turbo subaru and I have about 3800.00 into putting it in and I will never go back to a vw

again its worth the little extra for lots more power and no tinkering my little 2 seat beam car

is twice as fast as it was with the big vw motor look into jdm motors you can get a jap used

motor cheap and outfront motorsports for the rest :angry2:

A lot of peeps use Webbers but I prefer Dellorto carbs if you can find them. If you're going Turbo then I would suggest getting ahold of CarCraft in Riverside. :laughing:

get ahold of CARCRAP!!!! :laughing: that inless or buying parts i would have those jaska$$ work on any thing.try a buying a steel crank and finding out later after it broke it was a cast crank.my 2 cents