PLEASE READ! Internet Buying Scam

ocean's 4

Hey everyone. Just thought I would bring this to your attention. Recently I put my 2 quads up for sale on a few sites, including right here on DDR. Well, I got an email from a guy that was very eager to buy my 2001 Blaster. He asked if I would accept a check, I told him cash, cashier's check or money order only. He insisted that he had a "client" in the United States that owed him $7,000.00 and asked if he could have his client cut me the check for the amount. He said he will have the check emailed to me (that is what tipped my wife off) and that I can take the $3,000.00 for the quad, take an additional $100.00 for the inconvinience, and send the rest of the remaining balance to him via Western Union. It sounded like a good plan but my wife did not trust this. Upon further investigation, she came across this.

Scam Site

Basically, this is word for word of what the guy told me. See below:

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 8:06 AM

To: Ocean,Randy V

Subject: Payment and shipping Arrangement....................

Hello ,

Thanks for your mail,it look great and I 'm interested in purchasing it.Concerning the shipment have a shipper company that will handle the shipment so you dont need to bother about the shipment.however,This is how the payment will be made A client of mine in United State his owing me some funds of ($7,000)I will instruct him to issue a Check Drawn from US BANK in your name and once it clear you will deduct the cost of the :{2001Yamaha Blaster}{$3,000) and the remaining balance will be end back to my Shipper via western union money transfer for immediate shipping arrangment.the reason is that i am financialy at this moment and i have so much interested in buying the{2001Yamaha Blaster},that is why i want my client to issue you the Check.If this is okay with you do get back to me immediately with your information as listed below for me to instruct myclient to issue the Check in your name.Hope to hear from you soonest and also if the pics is aviliable i will like to see it.

NAME :

ADDRESS:

CITY: STATE:

Zip CODE:

PHONE NUMBER:

I will compensate you with $100 for the running arround and transportation and also to consider the item sold to me

N.B, THE CHECK WILL CLEAR YOUR BANK BEFORE THE SHIPPER COME FOR THE PICK UP

As you can see, this is a pretty crappy scam. I almost got screwed, but fortunately my wife caught on to this punk. So, I emailed him the following:

Thank you for the response, but I had my Special Investigation Unit here at work look into your email. They investigated and pulled this from the internet about your scam.

http://www.ultralightnews.com/classifieds/internetscams.htm

Basically, this is word for word of the crap you fed me, please do not email me again. It was a nice try on your part, but a very sh*tty thing to do to a person. My people have this email and it will be further investigated in my Special Investigation Unit.

Advice to you, hurry and get what you can, there is now an investigation hot on your a$$.

Thanks again.

RVO

-----Original Message-----

Sent: Monday, May 15, 2006 6:29 PM

To: Ocean,Randy V

Subject: Payment and shipping Arrangement....................

Not only will the person get your stuff, but you will be responsible for the money that is cashed with the fraudulent check. Please let others know about this scam. The site link has good info on what to look for.

I've heard about this happening a lot lately. I even get emails from US Bank stating that I need to hurry and provide my personal info so that they can keep my account open. If I click on the site the same day as the email it redirects to a mock US Bank site....If I wait a day, it is no longer valid.

I have gotten numerous emails like this...mostly from US Bank. I don't even have an account with them. If you go to their site they even warn you about this scam. It's a good thing I'm a computer geek and aware of not sending personal info like what they were asking for.....SSN, PIN, account numbers. :angry:

After reading this, I would go out on a limb and say US Bank is probably the number one spoofed bank out there. But, beware of the rest....

Nice catch and thanks for the warning. :headbang:

Edited by cmyfirepole

Same thing, only they said they wanted to buy my (bikes) for a wedding gift...go figure. But being that I had 2 for sale they wouldn't say which one...weird :beercheers: . It looks like something from overseas my wife said by they way they write :blink: . It sounded weird and they always began the letter with, (my client) and ended the letter with (regards) :drinkbeer: . Five of the e-mails had different first names, but the last name was the same :thumb: .

GET A REAL JOB U A-HOLES :blury:

I've heard about this happening a lot lately. I even get emails from US Bank stating that I need to hurry and provide my personal info so that they can keep my account open. If I click on the site the same day as the email it redirects to a mock US Bank site....If I wait a day, it is no longer valid.

I have gotten numerous emails like this...mostly from US Bank. I don't even have an account with them. If you go to their site they even warn you about this scam. It's a good thing I'm a computer geek and aware of not sending personal info like what they were asking for.....SSN, PIN, account numbers. :rockwoot:

After reading this, I would go out on a limb and say US Bank is probably the number one spoofed bank out there. But, beware of the rest....

Nice catch and thanks for the warning. :laughing:

i have gotten similar emails from what appears to be paypal and msn. they look totally legite. the tipoff is when they ask for account numbers. :woo_hoo: