camera shopping...again

dunefreak

Here's my situation. Some of you guys might remember a while back when I was camera shopping.

I bought the Canon SD1100 and loved it, until it broke and I used the replacement insurance about 3 times. That got old quick. What's the point of a camera that takes badass pics but doesn't hold up right?

post-3-1233636023_thumb.jpg

I then traded up that camera in on an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. Basically it is a indestructible camera. Shock proof, dust/ sand proof, water proof, drunk proof etc. I love it except for the lense is crap for any kind of quality zoom shots. It's perfect for dune trips, but when I really want to get some good shots, I want a better camera.

post-3-1233636065_thumb.jpg

So now I have been checking out the Canon 50D. Point and shoot compact cameras aren't gonna cut it anymore so that is why I am looking at a DSLR camera like this. The reviews seem like it is what I am looking for. It looks like Costco has it the cheapest and it seems to come with a good all-around lense. I'm hoping someone on here (80grit, SP2, RUn2it, Mike330R, etc :grin::banghead: ) might have 1st hand info or some good camera knowledge to give my some feedback before I take the plunge one of these days here soon.

I understand I cannot bring this out on every dune ride and beat this thing up like my camera I have now, but I'd like to have a bitchen camera for when I'd get more into taking pics. I have been taking more and more of an interest in photography and I think this camera will do it for me. Any feedback is appreciated. :beerpint:

post-3-1233636091_thumb.jpg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The 50D isnt bad at all.. When i was looking i was looking at the 30D it had a real stout body on it and had quite a few options. If your more budget minded the Rebels are essentially the same camera minus a couple features i doubt you would use anyways and are in a plastic body instead of a metal body.

The lense is where its all at. a good 75-300 lense is where its at for doing what we do.. the stock lenses that come with these are OK but in order to get some of those shots like 80grit and 330r you need to upgrade the lense.

Check on gd.com in the gen chat there is a digital slr thread going with lots of good info in there :D

my dad has been giving a digital camera lecture lately. he will be in town in a couple weeks. im sure he would be able to answer a lot of operation type questions. and i bet he has some suggestions about buying a new SLR cam. let me know and i can get him in touch with you

The 50D isnt bad at all.. When i was looking i was looking at the 30D it had a real stout body on it and had quite a few options. If your more budget minded the Rebels are essentially the same camera minus a couple features i doubt you would use anyways and are in a plastic body instead of a metal body.

The lense is where its all at. a good 75-300 lense is where its at for doing what we do.. the stock lenses that come with these are OK but in order to get some of those shots like 80grit and 330r you need to upgrade the lense.

Check on gd.com in the gen chat there is a digital slr thread going with lots of good info in there :D

Yep, read a bunch of that thread. That's mostly how I ended up looking at the 50D.

I understand about that lense too. This is the one I was eyeing if the 28-135mm lense didn't cut it.

959511L.jpg

link

If I spend more than 500/ 600 bucks on a camera, I rather go all out with a high quality metal body. ;)

Yep, read a bunch of that thread. That's mostly how I ended up looking at the 50D.

I understand about that lense too. This is the one I was eyeing if the 28-135mm lense didn't cut it.

959511L.jpg

link

If I spend more than 500/ 600 bucks on a camera, I rather go all out with a high quality metal body. ;)

I have that lense and it is great. I only break that one out when there is zero wind and had zero drinks.

dune trips with cameras....not alot...i have gone thru 4 or 5 cameras in 3 years and alllllll because of the dunes. i have the same camera that you do pete,and ilove it, if the shuter if sticking,then put it under water and turn it on and off. it will come loose.

i used to do alot of action sports photography. nothing professional or anything, but i spent alot of time and effort on it. ill start posting up some more pictures in the pic of the month contests. but the expense of the 50d is very high. if that is well within your price range and you plan on taking some very over the top pictures then it might be a good buy. but i bought my sony dslr when they first came out about 2 years ago for around 800$ and it works great. it has all the settings i could need for taking pictures of pretty decent quality. im sure there are much better camera's but ive done shooting with bmx magazine photographers and they were really impressed with the performance of my camera. the majority of them are, or were at the time shooting with the canon 50d and nikon d80's i believe. they say good things about both models but it comes down to price imo. 1500ish dollars for a magazine quality camera seems like a little overkill and a waste to me. :rockwoot:

Edited by tylerthehucker

The 30D, 40D and 50D are all awesome and durable camera bodys. Durable and reliable. I put it in my back pack and when a ride the quad all the time. When a photo op comes up....I just stop and take it out and start shooting. Just have to realize its a quality camera and you have to be a little more careful out in the sand.

The lens is where the cost is gonna be. So many to choose from. Canon's high end lens's are their L series lens. The have a rubber gasket on the banet where it attachs to the body. They offer greater sealing then thier other lens. That is also there higher end construction and glass lens.

Starting out your probably only gonna buy one multi purpose lens due to their costs. But you can get more lens down the road as you get more addicted to the hobby.

The 30d, 40d and 50 d are not full sensor cameras. So they have a 1.6 multiplier that you add to your lens to give you a true length of the lens compared to traditional 35mm film camera lens. So that 70-300 telephoto lens on one of these camera bodys is like a 112mm-480mm lens. My opinion, for your only one walk around lens...thats a little long. 28-135mm lens with the multiplier is 44.8mm-216mm. That is more of an all around lens (if you only have one lens). You could still get your camp fire pics with that lens.

Lots to think about when it comes to lens.

Edited by 80grit

Here's my situation. Some of you guys might remember a while back when I was camera shopping.

I bought the Canon SD1100 and loved it, until it broke and I used the replacement insurance about 3 times. That got old quick. What's the point of a camera that takes badass pics but doesn't hold up right?

post-3-1233636023_thumb.jpg

I then traded up that camera in on an Olympus Stylus 1030 SW. Basically it is a indestructible camera. Shock proof, dust/ sand proof, water proof, drunk proof etc. I love it except for the lense is crap for any kind of quality zoom shots. It's perfect for dune trips, but when I really want to get some good shots, I want a better camera.

post-3-1233636065_thumb.jpg

So now I have been checking out the Canon 50D. Point and shoot compact cameras aren't gonna cut it anymore so that is why I am looking at a DSLR camera like this. The reviews seem like it is what I am looking for. It looks like Costco has it the cheapest and it seems to come with a good all-around lense. I'm hoping someone on here (80grit, SP2, etc :lol::dope: ) might have 1st hand info or some good camera knowledge to give my some feedback before I take the plunge one of these days here soon.

I understand I cannot bring this out on every dune ride and beat this thing up like my camera I have now, but I'd like to have a bitchen camera for when I'd get more into taking pics. I have been taking more and more of an interest in photography and I think this camera will do it for me. Any feedback is appreciated. :rockwoot:

post-3-1233636091_thumb.jpg

Pete, I use a 40D and the 50D is basically the same but with more MP a hi-def monitor (920,000 vs 40D 230,000 pixels) latest processor, 6+ frames/sec = 40D. dp-review is the best >>> http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canoneos50d/ <<< 32 pages and tells you everything and compares to previous model as well as compares to other brands, at this level it's usually only Nikon. I'm looking at the new 5D mark ll, but not as fast as the 40/50D . Check my 40D out when we do those pix we talked about. Typically most peoples camera will out-resolve their lens, the lenses that will match will usually cost more than the camera. The lens I shoot most with is twice the cost of the camera.

Pete, the pic of Dumont with the A-10 (warthog) was shot with a little Canon S3IS 6MP ($350) and does video also. Anyway, See ya Pres weekend.

Pete, I have a budy that is holding out on Circut City price drops. He said the one he went to last week had 10 40D's in stock (price marked down about 300 already). It may be worth it to drop down to the 40D and wait for Circut City to sell them for dirt cheap.

Pete, I have a budy that is holding out on Circut City price drops. He said the one he went to last week had 10 40D's in stock (price marked down about 300 already). It may be worth it to drop down to the 40D and wait for Circut City to sell them for dirt cheap.

defintely. I'll keep an eye on that. Thanks!

i dont believe costco sells the kit so if you buy the body from there your still going to have to buy a lense.. the 28-135 is a decent all around lense but there will be times when you wished you just had more :D

Thanks guys...the info is much appreciated!

Do you think that 28-135 lense is decent to start out with or should I just buy the camera body and get a better lense from the get go?? Will that one have some ok zoom?

As 80grit said the 40/50D sensor isn't a "full frame" sensor, it's an aps-c, means there's a crop factor of 1.6, translated a 31mm aps-c sensor camera gives you the same field of view as a 50mm full frame sensor. A 35mm(the film dimensions) film camera at a focal length of 50mm is 0 magnification (wysiwyg) but a 40/50D crop factor of 1.6 at 50mm focal length gives you the field of view equivalent of an 80mm full frame sensor. here's avisual that puts it in perspective.

post-1632-1233698594_thumb.jpg

Red=full frame sensor, Blue=APS-C (1.6) sensor

Canon has "C" size lenses but won't work on a full frame camera if you ever upgrade. So your question on the 28-135mm, with the crop factor it will give you the equivalent results a 45-216mm lens on a full frame digital or 35mm film camera, which is a slightly wider field of view than your eyeball vision at 45mm to the equivalent of 216mm at max zoom. As a side note the Canon 5D is the next camera above the 50D and is full framed. Hope this all makes sense, now only a few thousand more tech points to go. :rockwoot:

959511L.jpg

link

Pete, I didnt notice the 70-300, if you want campfire pics or pics where you're standing close to the subject the 70mm cropped means it'll be 112mm equivalent and kinda restrictive. If you can wait till after pres weekend to decide and/or buy you can check out my 40D, same as 50D with respect to angle/field of view issues and can actually see the differences of the focal lengths . I have a Canon EF 24-70mm (38-112 eq)1:2.8 L USM and a Canon EF 70-200mm (112-320 eq) 1:2.8 L IS USM lens plus a Canon EF 1.4x II extender for the 70-200 that extends the range to an equivalent of 448mm.

post-1632-1233704286_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1233704306_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1233704325_thumb.jpg

Wow, that's some tech talk right there! :blury: I understood some of it though...I think. :dunno:

I may have found a smokin deal on a 50D. It comes with a lense nut not sure which one yet. I may pick it up before prez weekend, but I will definitley wait to buy a lense.

Thanks Lee and Rob! :laughing:

Pete, I didnt notice the 70-300, if you want campfire pics or pics where you're standing close to the subject the 70mm cropped means it'll be 112mm equivalent and kinda restrictive. If you can wait till after pres weekend to decide and/or buy you can check out my 40D, same as 50D with respect to angle/field of view issues and can actually see the differences of the focal lengths . I have a Canon EF 24-70mm (38-112 eq)1:2.8 L USM and a Canon EF 70-200mm (112-320 eq) 1:2.8 L IS USM lens plus a Canon EF 1.4x II extender for the 70-200 that extends the range to an equivalent of 448mm.

post-1632-1233704286_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1233704306_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1233704325_thumb.jpg

50 D is a great camera. And These are Excellent len's. Top of the line Canon L series Lens and 2 of the highest rated Canon Len's

If you guys go out shootin......I wanna go too :hatdance:

50 D is a great camera. And These are Excellent len's. Top of the line Canon L series Lens and 2 of the highest rated Canon Len's

If you guys go out shootin......I wanna go too :hatdance:

A Dumont shootout? A couple cameras and a couple people jumping and wheelies might draw a crowd which will fuel the "hey, you think that's bad ... watch this!" and it usually is quite entertaining. :dayum::pics: = :blury::beat::randog: and maybe :mog: not to mention a couple of :dunno::laughing: