Zzyzx, ever wonder what's there?

RUn2it

Going through old pics I've taken over the years and scanned these to upload. The springs have been used by Indians, then by Francisco Garces and the Spanish (1776), then Jedidiah Smith (1826), then the US Army built 3 outposts, including this one, between Fort Mojave and Camp Cady along the Mojave Trail that settlers would eventually use going west. The Mojave Trail was new and it intersected here with the Old Spanish Trail between LA through the Cajon Pass, down the Mojave River but went north from here, Soda Springs, up the State Hwy 127 valley to the Amargosa River through Tecopa going right by Dumont and eventually to New Mexico.

post-1632-1243952644_thumb.jpg

post-1632-1243952939_thumb.jpg

Doing a break right/dive :beercheers:

post-1632-1243953121_thumb.jpg

Just checking were these recent pictures? Always laughed at the name of the road. Never would have guessed there was anything there. :laughoff:

Those pics are about 20 yrs old. Last week I found part of the Old Spanish Trail about 1/4 mile from the Cajon Summit crest, was overgrown with vegetation. Been trying to map it so I can use the metal detector and see what I can find.

Lets go swimming :D

And quite possibly have some of your boby parts fall off in a couple of weeks. Is that a motel?

The newer buildings were from a "religion-based health spa", if you look on the back side of the little rock hill opposite the newer buildings you can see some ruins from the original construction with a dirt road in front, that's the early Mojave road. You can see strait ditches in the dry basin, they're from a short lived mineral company from the early 1900's, they would run the springs hard water down the ditchs to a shallow pools and let the water evaporate then scrape up the mineral deposits for their little mill. Didn't last long. The facility is a "Desert Studies Center" run by 1 or more universities. At 1 time they had public access if you wanted to visit.

Your a wealth of information. No really, I'm serious. Do you hang out with Sandawg. He has some really interesting stories about old desert places. I was born in Trona, CA so I have been to alot of odd places in the deserts of So. California. My dad used to drag us all over the place. One time we went for a picnic somewhere in Death Valley. Dad chopped out a large area under a Cat Claw, layed down a blanket in the shade, and we went sea shell hunting. We always knew we were in for something we the family would take off somewhere and dad know a "Short Cut." :laughoff:

Your a wealth of information. No really, I'm serious. Do you hang out with Sandawg. He has some really interesting stories about old desert places. I was born in Trona, CA so I have been to alot of odd places in the deserts of So. California. My dad used to drag us all over the place. One time we went for a picnic somewhere in Death Valley. Dad chopped out a large area under a Cat Claw, layed down a blanket in the shade, and we went sea shell hunting. We always knew we were in for something we the family would take off somewhere and dad know a "Short Cut." :laughoff:

^

^

^

The Hills Have Eyes!!!!

Haaaa I knew it :lol: :?: :laughoff::rolleyes::laughoff:

Capt

^

^

^

The Hills Have Eyes!!!!

Haaaa I knew it :thumb: :?: :drunk::idea::laughoff:

Capt

I wasn't born that close to a Nuke Dump they didn't even have them then. But Sierals Lake (at the time) had every mineral known to man in it. That's why they mined it. The Pnacales are badazz. They used to film Lost in Space out there.

Only when I have a bad day........... Wanna play?

post-1439-1243999720_thumb.jpg

Edited by desertskyz

RU,

You've peeked my interest with you mentioning the Movave Trail. I was in the origional group based in Goffs CA. that had a handle on the area now taken over by the new Movaje Reserve. Over 800 miles of drivable roads and trails mapped , pictured and historical info. If your interested in more information on the area of the east Movaje I have a series of books that show the mapped trail and history of the area! Your welcome to borrow them if you wish. Look up Dennis Casbier if you want any information on the origional "Friends of the Movaje"

Goffs, Essex, Kelso etc. etc.

have a good one!

When's the last time you been smoked on a quad by an old geezer? :dunno: :dunno: :offtopic::banghead:

I'm in, but I don't have a qwad. But I can shuffle a good lap with my walker.

Hey! we could call it the 1st Annuel DDR Old Timers Gettogeezer. :blink::dunno: :drunks:

I'll bring the Oatmeal. :offtopic:

Edited by desertskyz

A group " Senior Moment"

I'm in for that!!! :rockwoot:

I only have a couple of years duning but I have a couple of decades poking around the desert. Does that mean mean I :hungry: enough? Don't answer that.

Eli

I only have a couple of years duning but I have a couple of decades poking around the desert. Does that mean mean I :dunno: enough? Don't answer that.

Eli

Oh Yea, that qualifies! If the head says you can do it and the body says Hell NO, You might be :ninja: enough! :whip: