Anyone tow double trailers?

Free Agent

A friend of mine pulled doubles out to Dumont for years. He had a Dmax, 5th wheel and 20 foot enclosed behind that. It put a lot of strain on the middle 5th wheel.

He would blow tires until he flipped the axles and put 16 inch tires on the trailer. Then he bent the back bumper so he had to send it in to be welded for reinforcement. When you look at his 5th wheel now, it looks tweeked.

Just dont think they were designed for that. They are not built like a commercial truck trailer.

Maybe look at a big stacker type configuration.

Edited by 80grit

My buddy did it for a couple of years until he got stuck one time and couldn't back out! I 've done it once and did not like the way it felt towing.

I pull ball to ball 28' tt with 12' flat bed pulls ok for me, I don't pull to dumont that way only Amargoosa since the route is much friendlier, I see plenty of 5er's with a trailer behind them just can't go with too big of a trailer. If I had a 5er I would pull anywhere it's much easier of a pull than with a ball.

I pull ball to ball 28' tt with 12' flat bed pulls ok for me, I don't pull to dumont that way only Amargoosa since the route is much friendlier, I see plenty of 5er's with a trailer behind them just can't go with too big of a trailer. If I had a 5er I would pull anywhere it's much easier of a pull than with a ball.

I thought you could tow doubles as long as the first trailer was/is a 5th wheel.

It is not legal any other way??????

I do it all the time! I have a 30 ft fifth wheel and a single axle 12 ft utilty trailer, although my 5th wheel has a heavy duty frame I make sure to balance the load on the utility trailer very evenly not putting to much wt on the tongue ! it pulls great , But even with a well built hitch i still wouldnt put much more wt than a rhino or three quads on it or u will damage the frame IMO!

Edited by stock 350

ok here is the law...first off you have to have doubles endorsement to pull doubles. if you have a fifth wheel and your pulling a trailer behind it...the trailer hitch can be a ball type hitch as long as its welded and permanently installed. total length can be 60 feet in this configuration. you can pull with two ball hitch's as long as the first one is welded and length can not be longer then 50ft.

highly recommended the the vehicle is a 3/4 to 1 ton or more to pull this configuration, because the axle and chassis is designed for the extra weight... try to put more weight as far forward as possible to help with the "fish tailing affect' use anti sway bars and stabilizers and keep your speed down. never over correct or you will flip the rear trailer over speeds of 15mph

ok here is the law...first off you have to have doubles endorsement to pull doubles. if you have a fifth wheel and your pulling a trailer behind it...the trailer hitch can be a ball type hitch as long as its welded and permanently installed. total length can be 60 feet in this configuration. you can pull with two ball hitch's as long as the first one is welded and length can not be longer then 50ft.

highly recommended the the vehicle is a 3/4 to 1 ton or more to pull this configuration, because the axle and chassis is designed for the extra weight... try to put more weight as far forward as possible to help with the "fish tailing affect' use anti sway bars and stabilizers and keep your speed down. never over correct or you will flip the rear trailer over speeds of 15mph

you also forget that this must be a TRUCK cannot be a truck based SUV I.E. Excursion!!! A feller once got pulled over for pulling doubles with his excursion only reason he got popped was cuz he didnt have a truck.. SUV didnt work for CHP.

• 2 weeks later...

Would I just go to a hitch store to get the hitch put on my toy hauler and they should know what type of hitch is needed?...

The pic with the trailer and the bost hooked up..What is needed from the DMV to do this option and also what is needed on the back of the toy hauler(Hitch set up)..is it a stage 3 set up?