$#@#$@#! RUNNING LIGHTS

Richard Cheese

So...i usually rock my running lights while camping, makes the rig easy to spot cause no one else wants to look like a dumbazz :lol:

anyway...i put the jumper in the 7 pin between the 12v and the marker, running light pin, and the marker lights wont come on. The rear lower lights, in the same housing with the brakes is coming on, but the to front up high, two front side and back side, and 5 rear high wont come on

I have checked the ground..all is good. i have checked the bulbs...all is good....i have checked the battery ground, found it loose, reconnected it and drilled and attached to a new ground

I dont know WTF is going on, and if anyone could help me, ill bring you a bag of dicks the next time Im out at the D :driver:

thanks in advance

So...i usually rock my running lights while camping, makes the rig easy to spot cause no one else wants to look like a dumbazz :barf:

anyway...i put the jumper in the 7 pin between the 12v and the marker, running light pin, and the marker lights wont come on. The rear lower lights, in the same housing with the brakes is coming on, but the to front up high, two front side and back side, and 5 rear high wont come on

I have checked the ground..all is good. i have checked the bulbs...all is good....i have checked the battery ground, found it loose, reconnected it and drilled and attached to a new ground

I dont know WTF is going on, and if anyone could help me, ill bring you a bag of dicks the next time Im out at the D :clap:

thanks in advance

maybe the light circuit ground is daisy chained with the last light in the circuit actually grounded and the connection/wire is broke so the circuit is hot but has no return path. Try a voltmeter, on ohms ~ , 1 probe on something grounded and the other on 1 of the 2 socket connections, 1 should have continuity to ground somehow. Just to be sure try an alternative 12v source directly to the circuit if the prior doesn't give you anything, or even supply 12v and ground into a bulbless socket. One of these should tell you something unless your hauler is possesed for Halloween.

So...i usually rock my running lights while camping, makes the rig easy to spot cause no one else wants to look like a dumbazz :headbang1:

I dont know WTF is going on, and if anyone could help me, ill bring you a bag of dicks the next time Im out at the D :ban-split:

thanks in advance

Our Rv is doing the same thing!!

I have also checked the fuses and light bulbs... Dont know what to do...

• 2 months later...

Are you guys using "jumpers" or a female plug end? If you're using a jumper wire, you could be touching another connection causing it to not light up. I'm a RV tech, and I have a female 7 pin connector that I put alligator clips on the ends of the 7 wires. All you have to do then is clip what you want together and viola, it works, and it tests any circuit in the running/brake lights, and the electric brakes too.

If this ain't what you're doing, I'm stumped since I'm a few miles away. Does it work when plugged into the truck, towing?

BBTank

Are you guys using "jumpers" or a female plug end? If you're using a jumper wire, you could be touching another connection causing it to not light up. I'm a RV tech, and I have a female 7 pin connector that I put alligator clips on the ends of the 7 wires. All you have to do then is clip what you want together and viola, it works, and it tests any circuit in the running/brake lights, and the electric brakes too.

If this ain't what you're doing, I'm stumped since I'm a few miles away. Does it work when plugged into the truck, towing?

BBTank

no, its not working when plugged in either. im not sure what you mean by female plug end or jumper :lol:

i use a fuse at the 7 pin to connect the power, and the running lights...maybe that is what you mean?

where are you an RV tech at?

Do you have power to the truck side of the plug in? If not I am betting that you have a blown fuse in the truck. I know on Ford there is a big fuse under the hood that when it goes out the brakes work but nothing else does. If you have power to the back of the truck then it's in the trailer and I got nothin for you there.

Do you have power to the truck side of the plug in? If not I am betting that you have a blown fuse in the truck. I know on Ford there is a big fuse under the hood that when it goes out the brakes work but nothing else does. If you have power to the back of the truck then it's in the trailer and I got nothin for you there.

3274132386_0723915d6c.jpg

this is what I am doing on the trailer side. i am jumping the 12v and the brake lights, which is also the running lights with a fuse.

Its not my truck, because i have an atv trailer that i hook up to, and its running lights come on.

its either the plug, or the ground, im thinkin

3274132386_0723915d6c.jpg

this is what I am doing on the trailer side. i am jumping the 12v and the brake lights, which is also the running lights with a fuse.

Its not my truck, because i have an atv trailer that i hook up to, and its running lights come on.

its either the plug, or the ground, im thinkin

Screw it!!!!!Just drive during the day!!!!! :xmas_grin:

:dope:

no, its not working when plugged in either. im not sure what you mean by female plug end or jumper :xmas_grin:

i use a fuse at the 7 pin to connect the power, and the running lights...maybe that is what you mean?

where are you an RV tech at?

I was a RV tech at Beaudry RV, in Tucson. I've gone back to work for the Air Force now tho'.

The "female" part that I'm talking about it the female portion that's on the truck. You can buy the female part and put alligator clips on any/all wires to test different lights, wires, connections, etc.

A jumper is just that to me, not making sense to you, in my terminology. Jumper is just a piece of wire, length is up to you, that has alligator clips on each end. I have a few different lengths for different jobs.

Now the fuse thing, it's ok, if the fuse reaches across, which I'm guessing oit does, since you're doing it.

Like previously stated, test the truck plug to see what kind of power you have there. That's the first place to start. After finding out that, it may lead you to what happened to the trailer. I also have a PowerProbe from one of the tool trucks. I think you can find one at a good auto parts store. A powerProbe is a kinda test light with a probe out of the handle and 3 wires coming out of it. The 2 wires in the long sheath, are for pos. and neg. battery connections. This HAS to be connected to the battery of whatever vehicle you're gonna test. The shorter black wire with an alligator clip is for a local ground that you may need to add. The PowerProbe has a 3 position switch on it. The middle is the test mode, a light shows red or green for + and -. The switch can be rocked forward or backward. One way will add + and the other will add - to test a particular circuit. That tells you what circuit has ground, power, or if its just plain AFU.

I hope I haven't insulted anyone's intelligence, I was just wanting to be very simple, because I can get too technical sometimes.

I hope I helped, and not confused,

BBTank

OK...without the truck hooked up...i use a jumper between the 12v and the running lights

the freekin running lights in the brakelight housing work, but the side marker lights don't...is there a fuse between the tailight housing lights and the running lights?

are the tailight lights primary and the running lights secondary on most rv lights? (power goes to brake lights first, then running lights?)

Edited by Richard Cheese

OK...without the truck hooked up...i use a jumper between the 12v and the running lights

the freekin running lights in the brakelight housing work, but the side marker lights don't...is there a fuse between the tailight housing lights and the running lights?

are the tailight lights primary and the running lights secondary on most rv lights? (power goes to brake lights first, then running lights?)

1st, are you running a ground wire to the trailer chassis?

2nd: If you have running lights @ the "brake lights"(tail lights), it sounds like a bad connection from there up to the side markers. I've come across this before, but it is hard to say with certainty without crawling under there and following the wiring path. If you are getting tail lights at the rear, the problem isn't in the plug, or the lead vehicle. :laughing: Hope this helps; electrical problems suck!!!

Edited by andydew

1st, are you running a ground wire to the trailer chassis?

2nd: If you have running lights @ the "brake lights"(tail lights), it sounds like a bad connection from there up to the side markers. I've come across this before, but it is hard to say with certainty without crawling under there and following the wiring path. If you are getting tail lights at the rear, the problem isn't in the plug, or the lead vehicle. :laughing: Hope this helps; electrical problems suck!!!

thanka

that is what i was thinking. thanks

The trailer should be grounded on itself and not need a seperate ground from the plug to the frame ofg the traoler, it should be grounded already from the trailer to the plug itself.

Make a jumper wire with a 5A fuse in it. Jump from the battery to each of the light terminals, that should "light up" all the lights, one circuit at a time.And that's my 2 cents worth.

BBTank

The trailer should be grounded on itself and not need a seperate ground from the plug to the frame ofg the traoler, it should be grounded already from the trailer to the plug itself.

Make a jumper wire with a 5A fuse in it. Jump from the battery to each of the light terminals, that should "light up" all the lights, one circuit at a time.And that's my 2 cents worth.

BBTank

ill try that too

• 2 weeks later...