It's Official, more OHV area GONE.

aceisback

It always sucks when losing riding area no matter what the reason. I guess of all the reasons I have heard, for the Marine corp is the best.

I have Oregon tags on my ATVs and going to give that a try. People mention to stop buying the green stickers, so buy them from out of state??? not sure how that would go over. May make more areas close, since they will just say they don't have money. Which we know Cali is BROKE. :stirthepot:

For the Vegas Folks... Nellis/Apex may be within the next few years. They have posted signs that say something about "higher then normal levels of Arsenic have been found" by some college study. Further studies are being conducted and the results are supposed to take a few years.

1st public meeting for us high desert people is April 14th at 5pm. Hilton Garden Inn, Victorville. I really want to believe the place will be packed, but over the last couple years have lost confidence in the off road community trying to stand against this type of stuff. The Marines really DO NOT need that area, the base is over 900 sq miles now, most of it dedicated to training. I'll see anyone there...Semper Fi, Woody

The DEIS Public Comment Period runs from February 25 through May 26, 2011

o Public Review and Comment Meetings will be held during the hours of 5:00 – 9:00 PM on

 April 12, 2011, at Copper Mountain College, Joshua Tree, CA

 April 13, 2011, at Ontario High School, Ontario, CA

 April 14, 2011, at Hilton Garden Inn, Mirage/Sahara Conference Center, Victorville, CA

o More details on the meeting locations and to where to send comments is on the project website set out below.

For Further Information Please Contact

29Palms Training Land/Airspace Acquisition Project

(web) www.marines.mil/unit/29palms/las – (e-mail) SMBPLMSWEBPAO@usmc.mil – (phone) 760-830-3764

(mail) MAGTFTC, MCAGCC, Bldg. 1554, Box 788104, Twentynine Palms, CA 92278-8104

• 2 months later...

:bump: update. Sounds like some positive news for JV and the offroad community!

http://www.hideserts...4d760954498.txt

That statement by the Cali guy is good. I hope the Congress, in it's infinate wisdom and superior decision making history, doesn't over rule him!! I'll just bet the tree huggers are :bawl: their eyes out.

:old:

chuck shaner(and others)from victor valley 4 wheelers built the hammer trails out there. we were just asked to conduct that tour they took out there and i hear they were VERY impressed. they had no idea there was going to be so much resistance to the closure in the beginning. we just presnted a plaque to chuck last fall at our event "fun in the desert" for his contribution to building them. people really do come from all over the world to run some of the toughest trails in america. i just bought a rock crawler toyota pickup from a guy at pismo beach and he built it for the hammer trails, even though he lived 220 miles from them! i plan on doing all the hammers before they close it down. it will be a shame to lose them, but from what i've seen of our gubmint they seem to get what they want. it was nice to see that ray of hope, but color me sceptical. there is an organization called friends of johnson valley if anyones interested. and of course check out victorvalley4wheelers.com if interested in crawlin'.

Here is a Blow by blow account of the fight!. I did the JV tour with the OHV Commission the day before the Ontario meeting and I can tell you that they were very impressed with what they saw. Not just the terrain but the condition of it all after being used heavily by tens of thousands of enthusists during the winter months. The OHV Code Enforcement were from all over as were the BLM Rangers. Places like Hungry Valley, Pismo Beach, Dove Springs, Ocotillo Wells, Superstition, Dumont, etc... The great majority had never been to Johnson Valley and stated that the users respected it much more than the areas that are in their charge. Might have seen three or four water bottles on the 5 1/2 hours that I was on the tour.

Want to give a shout out to the rock crawler folks. Not my cup of tea, it looks expensive!, but they are some hard core dudes. On of the crawlers with the Commissioner in it rolled over on it's side and the rest of the group flipped them back over and off they went like it was all too normal! Five point harnesses are a good thing. There were probably a dozen crawlers, a few jeeps, a rail, an a$$load of white Government vehicles, and a lone DS650, wonder who that crazy a$$ was!?!

Anyway, saw a lot of territory that I had never ventured near before but captured it all on the GPS and will definitely be breaking in a RZR XP out there. I don't know how many DDR peeps have attended any of these meetings but from the amount a cain being raised on the internet you would think that there would be much more attendance at them than there actually is. Hopefully many many more have sent in letters then what showed up to voice an opinion.

Ride there while you can.

I was at the meetings. it's said how many people didn't take the time to fill in thierry name on a letter generator to help save this place. I wrote several.

but what are you gonna do, big thanks to the gen right off road crew they were in full force at the meetings.

I live about 20 min from JV and I am there every weekend during the season, seriously. if I'm not there I'm in Dumont lol.

Ace u live near by? I can show u some awesome stuf in JV on my bike, or in the rhino.