Poker Run @ Dumont

Sanduners

Would you participate?  

36 members have voted

1. 1. If the donation was $20 a hand?

• YES
    • No

Our club put on the first 3 annual Glamis Poker Run's (6th Annual - Sat. Nov. 4th, 2006) and had huge success with them!

In the 3 years we sponsored it, we raised over $15K for those OHV organizations we support. (ASA, CORVA, SDORC) :woo_hoo:

The poker run is now sponsored by the Orange County ATV Association a much larger club than ours.

If our club was to sponsor a Dumont Dunes Poker Run and the donations went to the Friends of Dumont Dunes organization to help fund the projects they are working on, would you participate?

If you have never done a poker run in an OHV setting you should try it, lots of fun!!!

Poker Run Info

I want to get a little feedback first before approaching the club about this... (this is WORK for them and they might think I'm :mc_smiley: ...... :driver: (and they just may be right... :P )

thanks,

The cool thing about glamis is when you do a poker run you have such large distances between dealers... With dumont i can only see 4 dealers and it would be a short game if you know what i mean.

1 Dealer at the North pole

1 Dealer at the South pole

1 Dealer at Comp/Banshee hill

1 Dealer in the little dunes

?? 1 dealer at the river crossing ?

The cool thing about glamis is when you do a poker run you have such large distances between dealers... With dumont i can only see 4 dealers and it would be a short game if you know what i mean.

?? 1 dealer at the river crossing ?

I was gonna mention that too since Dumont's square mile area is pretty small and doesn't have too many "named land marks". Either way, it would be fun. Time to start naming some more areas of Dumont! :mc_smiley:

V8 rail was involved in Dumont poker runs if I remember, perhaps it was with FODD as well, I forget.

But I do remember they quit because of insurance.

The guys of V8Rail (Stephan and Thomas) are part of FoDD. :mc_smiley:

It sucks insurance is needed for such an event that is intented to raise money for a good cause.

V8 rail was involved in Dumont poker runs if I remember, perhaps it was with FODD as well, I forget.

But I do remember they quit because of insurance.

I sure don't remember any poker runs at Dumont in the last 5 years. Certainly none organized by V8 Rail.

Jim you are :dunno: , but in a good way. :driver:

A poker run sound like fun and a great way to make some $$$. But it is lots of work.

Jon, in the sand it is really much easier to do, no trails to mark. Unlike the Glamis Poker Run (GPR) as some have said, the checkpoints could each have a game to play, one for the adults, one for the kids under 12 maybe? That is needed to break a possible same hand. Prizes too for adults & kids and maybe a lower price per hand for the kids like $5.00 a hand, I like that... :ninja:

I think the hardest part of this poker run would be where to make the ending place location. We use Boardmanville at Glamis to end the GPR at, a great place to hang out. We would need a good spot at Dumont to do the same. Maybe work with the regular vendors and make it there???

Insurance is a HUGE expense of a "legal" poker run. Each of the GPR's we did it the right way, insurance and BLM permits. The insurance I assume would be about the same, $1000 - 1200. But we have wonderful people at the BLM Barstow office to work with that I know pretty good. I'm sure I could get the permit needed too. :flipoff:

And those are the checkpoint locations I was thinking about too but not one at the river crossing, (to hard packed) the final checkpoint at the ending location like we do for the GPR. The difference in doing a "dune" poker run,,, YOU decide the path to take and the time to get to the next checkpoint... and just how :laughoff: you drive... :dunno:

FYI...We had 304 poker hands sold at the 1st Annual Glamis Poker Run,,, the next year it went to 654 :woo_hoo: So they do catch on quick and I've never heard a bad thing about any of the 5 GPR's... :mc_smiley:

I used to belong to a mini-truck club back in the late 70's early 80's (gosh, I'm old... :P ) and we used to do ralleys runs all the time. At those checkpoints they would have a contest or game to play. I think we could have one checkpoint with a golf theme,,, like put a round target about 30' away and give points to where you land it...

yes, the ending must be located near a bathroom... good thought...