Nov 18-21 trip report

dunefreak

I hope nobody is expecting some good smooth dunes for Thanksgiving weekend. :laughing: What a killer weekend it was out there.

I pulled in Friday night and met up with vegas style and mr.brown sand. It was a bit windy but I knew it would be gone by the morning. Saturday morning arrived and it sure was nice. The Dumont gods did a great job cleaning up the dunes very nicely. We went over to see raspadoo and his buddy, Doug, in there Funcos and then we all hit the dunes. The sand was super smooth and almost sketchy to read, but we got a good moderate run in and chilled at the north pole for a while.

My buddy Jason showed up and had some fuel issues with his car, but luckily we got it handled after finding out his fuel filter plumbed incorrectly. At that point Lou B showed up and we did a couple good runs until I managed to rip off a control arm tab on the rear of my car. I was coming back from Talladega when I opened it up across a stretch that was fairly smooth except for an off-camber bump. It wasn't much but the angle that the car landed it must have been a bit of hammering on the left rear. It didn't help that my heims were pretty sloppy too. That played a big part. Lou ran back to grab a ratchet strap and luckily they found us just before it got dark. My new whip light helped out. :woo_hoo: The ratchet strap held it together well enough that I was able to drive it all the way back to camp. :grin:

Sunday morning we performed surgery on it and it was a success. Huge thanks again to Lou. I'm glad he had all those kickass tools and welder when he came out. It saved my weekend. So I was back in business again. After a moderate test run I was confident it was going to hold. At sun down we did a RIPPEN run for about 35 minutes straight. There was nobody in the dunes and we were haulin a$$. THAT was a good run. :headbang1:

Monday morning I got a good solo cruise in on the Raptor finally. It's nice to just cruise around and take pics every now and then. I went out to the south end, past the south pole (I think I saw dinicolada), and back to comp for some more pics.

We squeezed in a few more runs on Monday before I had to finally pack it up and head back to reality. I made the most of it though and stayed until about 6pm.

I burned through a good amount of race gas this weekend and other than the little hiccup with the tab break, the car performed amazing as always. I really love that thing. It has made duning so much more for me.

Other than all the good runs...the company was awesome with PLENTY of laughs all weekend. The weather was bitchen. Pretty much long sleeve t-shirt most of the weekend and sunny except for Sunday which was really overcast. That was ok though. It made for some good duning. No rain other than maybe 20 drops on Sun night but not enough to even make for damp sand.

Let's see what else...got some fun times on the ATC70 in camp. We had a fun figure 8 track going and I managed to run my foot over and crash trying to chase Lou around the outside of camp. :lol:

Vendor row was just getting going for Tday with H Town Performance, a few t-shirt places and it was cool seeing Pete from Got Sand partnered up with Racin Dirty in the big RD rig. Good to see some RD presence again.

Throughout the weekend we saw 80grit and crew, happy hour and crew, and I recognized a few other DDR people like crazybanshee out there as well.

I'll quit yappin now and get to working on some pics.

Killer weekend for sure. Those dunes are going to be rough this weekend. Have fun! :laughing:

That Sunday night run was pegging the fun meter for sure, glad We dropped in on you guys :thumb: Great to meet some new peeps, Lou B was super cool and his daughter hauls the mail on a quad! Nice to meet Jason as well. Had a great run this am but the dunes need some wind for sure. They did a great job of smoothing out the road entrance road, but that mix was DUSTY. Vegas style ought to get a mailbox out there, 10 days straight, sheesh.... :drinkbeer:

Learned two things this weekend,

Don't ask a Jamaican Captain what kind of navigational aids he uses

and

Tighten the harness up before following Pete on the Twilight run :driver:

Cheers

Saw you guys at the North pole that day. I left the car back at camp and was cruzin around on the 185. Got there on wednesday and left on sunday. the dunes were great and got in some good rides. Going back on the 30th so i hope the wind comes thru and smooths out all your tracks. :P

This was definitely a duner weekend. The mentality and attention span of the people in the dunes was WAY different than Halloween weekend. Halloween you wouldn't even get eye contact from or see anyone turn their heads while duning. This weekend just about every single duner I came up on acknowledged me when I put my hand up to let them know I see them, whether they were on bikes, side x side or a car. Even a guy on a quad gave me a quick double take like "does that rail see me?", then when I let him know he gave me a quick wave and head nod. It's great to see people dune responsibly and actually understand what the hand up menas. I'm not just trying to say hello. :hello::shake::laughing:

where is the Video, Pictures are old school... lol

When vegas style gets back he has some. He strapped his go pro to my car on one of our fast runs. It came out pretty bitchen but that run was over 30 minutes long. It will need some editing for watching it on the web. It was cool to watch it on the big TV though in his hauler. :headbang1: I'm sure he has plenty of other footage as well from his RZR too. :)

Good pics as always. Those landscape shots from inside your car look great. Was that done with the gopro or your camera?

Thanks. It was hand held with my Olympus.

Thanks for the Pics! :beerpint:

You're welcome, Eric. I wish I could have gotten a few action shots of you and Doug but we all were too busy duning. Not really a bad thing. haha

Great weekend. Nice meeting your wife and hanging with you guys. Can't wait to do it again.

I like the pic titled DOH!

I've been high centered like that was up at the big D with my first car, but I deleted those pics :)

haha yeah J didn't really take the same line as us in that one. :laughing:

(btw everyone, the gallery now has a comment feature if any of you guys want to comment on any pics. Makes conversation a little easier for some pics. ;) )

haha yeah J didn't really take the same line as us in that one. :laughing:

(btw everyone, the gallery now has a comment feature if any of you guys want to comment on any pics. Makes conversation a little easier for some pics. ;) )

Didn't I read about a broken control arm tab or somethin? Didn't get any pics of that, did ya?

I have a small album of stuff I've broke....my favorite of all my pics! Thinkin of one now where I drove it back to camp on 3 wheels, with the right steer tire in the front seat :headbang1: (first car that is...not the funco)

Edited by andydew