Nevada OHV rules paperwork in..

Adam @ GTP Off Road

I sent my paperwork in today so we will see how it goes.

I sent in 2 forms, one for each registration sticker. Simple enough overall but had to go to 3 places to get the Notary Public done. I tried BofA (my bank) and they said they don't do it anymore. tried a Fedex store and that store didn't do it. 3 place was a Chase bank (I have a Chase Credit Card). They did it no problem, and free. I like free. So reg stickers hopefully will at least be here before i go to Oregon, or i will have to by Oregon stickers again. The Registration stickers were $20 each. The Notary Public is required for all bikes bought previously to July 1st, 2012 to say that you actually did buy it before July 1st, 2012.

I also sent in the paperwork to get a title for the Raptor as I own it. My other bike is still financed so don't need a title for it. I went to Ridenow and the Service guy came out, looked at the VIN on the bike, filled out the form. quick and easy. I copied the sales form i got when i bought the bike (from ridenow) and sent that in as proof of purchase for the bike. I called the DMV and they said that would be good. The title was $28.25.

I am hoping that the money Nevada collects might mean some riding areas around here. I just don't know anywhere around Vegas that Nevada actually maintains??? Nellis i think is BLM, which Nellis sucks anyway, but that would be Federal. Not sure about Amargosa??

I still think if you don't ride in Nevada, and basically hit Dumont and have a Cali sticker they aren't going to care. Maybe if they looked at your driver's license for some reason they would know you were from Nevada (license plates on truck/ trailer) but why would Cali care? Just curious to see if Nevada is going to try and enforce sales taxes for the vehicles bought out of state trying to register. So far, i don't see it. If the vehicle is bought after July 1st, 2012 there is a different form to fill out that asks the sales price, and requires a form from the state showing that the tax was paid. Private Party sales has another form, and states no tax is due.

I need to do this i guess. I currently have a cali sticker that's good through june 2013 and was transfered with my title. at least i'll be good in dumont through next riding season. not sure how much they actually check it, my friends haven't been checked yet and neither have a sticker for cali. i got to get my nevada sticker now i guess....hope it's not huge like the cali green sticker

• 2 weeks later...

"SIGH"

ok, now the BS begins. I got the paperwork back for the Outlaw, for the registration. you MUST get the vin verified and submit the VIN paperwork in along with the Registration paperwork

Site for OHV information: http://nvohv.com/

To get the $20 OHV registration sticker you must get a VIN verify. I went to Ridenow on Rancho, and you must go while Service department is open. You must send in the Registration Form, and the VIN verify on each vehicle to get the OHV sticker.

OHV's purchased before July 1st, 2012:

Application for registration Form: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohv001a.pdf

Vin Inspection: http://www.dmvnv.com/pdfforms/ohv002.pdf

hold onto to your panties cause here is where it gets crazy...

To get a title:

You must get the VIN Verification, same verification will work for Registration and title

You MUST send in original title, or bill of sale

If you do NOT have a title from another state, you can call and ask for the "Off-Highway Vehicle Statement Of Facts" form. They will email it to you.

If you have a title:

Mail the original title

Vin Verification Form

If you do NOT have a title:

Mail original bill of sale

Vin Verification Form

OHV Statement of Facts Form (must call to have them email it) I am going to try and scan in the one i have just in case.

I think that 's it for now... I hope this helps others in the future.

according to them, without another title or a bill of sale, you wont get a nevada title. a little catch 22 here. it is kinda stupid to require a bill of sale when you could just make one up from a friend or even a fictious name. i would assume a bill of sale wont cut the mustard for a title.

i am going to get the registrations first and then apply for titles after the fact. i would hope you dont need another vin inspection since you had to do that for the registration sticker etc.

also according the them, once you have a reg sticker etc, you then will get the renewal in the mail next year just like your car or motorcycle. that is the good part. wont have to go to notary again either. just mail in or internet like one does now.

it will take time to get the bugs out, but good i think so i only have to have 1 sticker and not 49 other ones one my bike. yippee

ps. i have my paper work for only 12 vehicles. ugg

Edited by foolofsand

the OHV statement of Facts page, which i forgot to scan before i filled it out, has to be signed and notortized. In the form you have to explain how you got it, and why paperwork isn't available. I think they are using the notorized Statement of facts as part of the safety net to cover their a$$. They are only going to be as good as info they get, and she admitted to me on the phone that they are learning themselves how the process works. i was told before that a scanned version of the bill of sale was ok, but it's NOT.

The bill of sale i have is from ridenow, so that is different then from a general private party. The OHV website has an official bill of sale form for future sales, if people use them. An older bill of sale is supposed to work, again that is the point of the OHV Statement of facts, and getting it notorized. some stolen bikes, when people actually submitted the VINs, might get caught.

I still think that many people won't even register their bikes. They could still use Cali stickers, or just go with out depending on where they ride. Nevada will have to step up patrolling riding areas if they want to catch people. I have never seen anyone at Nellis/Apex, they will really need to check there.

Adam, Thanks for all you information. I am on a mission to get mine done. Here is where I am at...

I started the process by collecting all Titles/MSO’s for our toys. Then filled out the Off-Highway Vehicle Inspection Certificate and asking a Law Enforcement Officer to inspect the VIN#’s. EASY!

Then I contacted a customer service rep at the DMV to make sure I had everything in order before mailing documents. Rep advised to fill out “Application for Duplicate Nevada OHV Certificate Title form”. This form requires a notary, so I will be asking another friend to notarize these documents. She also advised to send 20$ for registration and 28.25$ for a Nevada Title = $48.25 per vehicle. The only thing I thought was odd was she suggested sending separate checks for each vehicle and send packet via certified mail. (I am a little bothered by sending 5 checks, but okay) If all goes well I will be sending all documents to the DMV tomorrow – crossing my fingers that they send NV Titles and tags in a timely manner.

Christina... for any bikes that you don't have a title on you will need the statement of facts form. I sent in payment with the payment form. I think it's easier to pay seperately since one bike might be ok on paperwork and other might not.

Make sure to send original titles, and Bill of sale paperwork to them.

$48.25 per vehicle sounds right to me.

I have to get the statement of Facts form notorized tomorrow, who are you having do it? I had Chase bank do my other stuff, they did it free since i have a credit card there. BofA wouldn't do it, even though i have tons of stuff through them. I also have to do the VIN for the Outlaw Tommorow.

Getting a TITLE is optional. You don't have to get it titled here to get the stickers. I'm not sending them my original any thing, gets lost I'm screwed.I'll give them all the info and VIN inspection stuff thats about it.

If I could do it in person maybe not through the mail though.

Edited by ~JILL~

Adam,

I filled out all three documents... The only reason I'm doing all three documents is because everytime I talk to someone at the DMV they seem to not know what the heck is going on. They have not worked out the kinks in the system. I have titles that have been signed over to me; I purchased my 400 over 5yrs ago. I have lost the bill of sale, but I still have the title...The DMV Rep advised that I can not title this bike in my name without a Bill of Sale - WTH??? I have the title!!!

I am lucky that I have a co-worker that notarized all my ducuments. FYI - Nevada State Bank on the corner of Commerce and Craig has a Notary. I have used them in the past.

Jill - I understand that I do not have to title our toys, but I would like to just get everything done at once. Plus I would like to have title for the future; just in case I sell the RZRs or one of the bikes.

that is probly why they suggest certified mail. the only one that wants the originals is them, i have a copy of the BOS, and could always go back to ridenow if needed. Once I get a title i won't need an original BOS, but i think it's stupid. Especially with private sales.

I figured it was a good idea to get a title on the Raptor since i own it... the bank still owns the Outlaw so waiting till it's paid off. Having a title can only help in the future.

Edited by Rap_Rider

• 2 weeks later...

just talked to DMV today and they haven't even started printing the Registration stickers yet. I was told by Nancy it would be within the next week or so.

Just great considering i already took the Oregon sticker off my raptor... Nancy said she would mail me a receipt showing i "have" a sticker so i will be trying that for my Oregon trip. Unless by some miracle i do get it before I leave on the 20th.

Getting a TITLE is optional. You don't have to get it titled here to get the stickers. I'm not sending them my original any thing, gets lost I'm screwed.I'll give them all the info and VIN inspection stuff thats about it.

If I could do it in person maybe not through the mail though.

agreed. since they are just starting all this up i could see them losing stuff if it's not organized. think i'll keep my cali title for myself.

Edited by flavtfan

just talked to DMV today and they haven't even started printing the Registration stickers yet. I was told by Nancy it would be within the next week or so.

Just great considering i already took the Oregon sticker off my raptor... Nancy said she would mail me a receipt showing i "have" a sticker so i will be trying that for my Oregon trip. Unless by some miracle i do get it before I leave on the 20th.

2 year or. sticker for 2 years is only $10.50 should you have to buy one. I don't think the rangers in Or. are going to take a letter. They can be sticklers about their permits.

2 year or. sticker for 2 years is only $10.50 should you have to buy one. I don't think the rangers in Or. are going to take a letter. They can be sticklers about their permits.

Hopefully, if i get pulled over, I can talk my way out of a ticket. I will have the paperwork for Nevada, and if i have to try and talk my way into just going and buying a sticker if they let me go. I have never been stopped, or talked to in Oregon before. Stupid thing I guess was I had the Oregon sticker, good till end of August, and took it off thinking i was getting the Nevada one. :slap: that's what i get for trusting government.

I will also be hoping they don't bother me for my new Dual exhaust that has no chance of meeting 93db. I might be 96-98db. I guess i have a lot to hope for while i'm there.

Hopefully, if i get pulled over, I can talk my way out of a ticket. I will have the paperwork for Nevada, and if i have to try and talk my way into just going and buying a sticker if they let me go. I have never been stopped, or talked to in Oregon before. Stupid thing I guess was I had the Oregon sticker, good till end of August, and took it off thinking i was getting the Nevada one. :slap: that's what i get for trusting government.

I will also be hoping they don't bother me for my new Dual exhaust that has no chance of meeting 93db. I might be 96-98db. I guess i have a lot to hope for while i'm there.

they hide in the brush and radar and sound check you....you will get a ticket, a friend of mine got one before dune fest started........like 178.00

well to legally do a sound check there is a procedure they are supposed to follow. has to be a certain distance, and rpm level which is different for each bike. I am sure they were all over for Dunefest... I was watching some videos from this year's Dune fest though, and saw several people riding double and no helmets.

There is no way I am putting the stock exhaust back on as this is my first good trip with my new mods, so if i get the ticket so be it.

• 3 weeks later...

And the saga continues....

I got the stickers and Title today. The stickers are HUGE!!! I have no idea where i am going to put this damn thing!! I will have to look around. They are just smaller then the size of a motorcyle license plate. IT'S HUGE for a sport quad or motorcycle.

The title looked great, too bad it was for the wrong bike. I paid for the title on the Raptor and got the Title for the Outlaw. Now i have to send the Outlaw title back so they can destroy it, and they will process the Raptor title.

Wow!! I am not looking forward to this mess. Good info Adam.

I am a little worried about my choices about a new ride. I got a what I think is a good deal on a new RZR in AZ and I would't have to pay their sales tax if I signed an out of state purchase. Is Nevada going to try to stick me with sales tax when I try to get a title here. If I understood what I was told from the AZ dealer I wouldn't receive a title from them. Does any of this make sense to you guys? What do you think?

when did you buy the RZR? If if was before July 1st, 2012 you are good on the sales tax. If it was after July 1st, 2012 you will have to pay the sales tax for a title, and i beleive even to get the registration banner... ( I mean sticker, stupid f*cking HUGE sticker). there is different forms to fill out for prior to July 1st, or after July 1st, 2012. Anything sold private does not require sales tax.

One thing is, if you don't really ride in Nevada, as in just ride mainly Dumont, just get a Cali sticker. Nevada has no real way to verify or even know if a bike is in Nevada unless you tell them. They are so disorganized on all of this it will take forever to figure it out. Maybe Amargosa has people checking for stickers but not sure. Not really many areas to ride Nevada around here, IMO.

You also have until July 1st, 2013 to register for the first time. You are NOT required to get a title for any OHV bought before July 1st, 2012 in Nevada. I don't know how that affects out of Nevada Purchases. I am sure the out of state sales, and private party sales are going to be a mess at first. For anyone that doesn't have the right proof of purchase for an OHV bought they will have a real tough time getting a title, but getting the registration shouldn't be too bad.

you want used, private party sale to save the taxes for After July 1st 2012. They ask for proof of tax now, except on the private sales.

OHVs Purchased From a Out-of-State Dealer On or After July 1, 2012

The vehicle must be registered and titled within 30 days of the sale. You must have a VIN inspection completed by a licensed Nevada OHV dealer or a sworn law enforcement officer.

You must also obtain a Use Tax Clearance Certificate (Form APP-08.01) from the Nevada Department of Taxation.

Edited by Rap_Rider