Sperry wash

ynot

If we decide to come out this weekend I wanted to see if anybody was interested in taking the sperry wash ride in Rhinos or on quads. My understanding is that you will want to run Knobbies for the trail. In 30+ years of going to Dumont I have never explored the Sperry Wash Trail as I have always had paddle tires on the quads. Since I sold the quad and the car is being put back together I might be inclined to take the Rhino out . If anyone is interested in doing this maybe Sat morning let me know? :flipoff::laughoff:

I have never been down that traile as of yet either. If I was bringing my Grizzly, I'd check it out but I will only have the sandcar and the Raptor with paddles.

I am pretty sure KensColors will be up to it. I think he is gonna make it out and he has a Sportsman 700. :laughoff:

when I was out there for one weekend holding down the ddr campsite. the wind was blowing too hard to even think about riding so I took my truck up there about 15miles with tacomama (remember her!?). so you should have no prob nick. Ive been back up there about 20 miles or so on the quad and turned back only because I didnt know how far I could get on a tank of gas!! Nice ride tho, there were several signs pointing out diff destinations but never any trails in those directions or even leading off the main trail. You can also get into the wash without going up to the main road.more or less just head north on the flats out of the duness and there is a bunch of trails that all lead into the wash

My Dad and I took Jeeps dopwn the trail a couple of years ago. Back then I had an 84 Jeep Scrambler. For those not familiar with Jeeps, it is 18inches longer than a normal CJ/TJ7 I think it is 118 inches long. Anyways, there was only one turn that I remeber where it was tight for my Jeep.

There is alot of cool stuff on the trail that you will miss if you did not know they were there. Thjere is one section where you actually drive on the old Tonapah and Tidewater railroad bed. Look out for railroad spikes. They are not common due to scavagers but we saw a couple.

There is one section where the dirt trail turns into what looks like old asphaut. I asked a few old salts here in Barstow about the asphault and supposedly it is part of the old old road to the town of Dumont which was not much more than a train station, kinda cool if your into old west history.

Towards the end of the trail I think, there is what is called miners dump. Basically it is where the miners would dump ther trash but there is a few old cars there (I remember on old 40s ford truck) and a couple of late 30s early 40s sedans. I found a small glass 7up bottle there. Lots of what looks like coffee cans and food cans.

If I remember right, it ends at a road and there is an old building close by. I forget what its called but it is where miners would take there gold or ore or whatever and get paid. It is close to China Lake?, that date farm.

Its a good day trip in a Jeep to go the entire way.

Well the weekend is just not going to work out for me to make the trip. I just have to much other stuff to get done. Have fun, be safe and I will catch Sperry wash halloween weekend.

My Dad and I took Jeeps dopwn the trail a couple of years ago. Back then I had an 84 Jeep Scrambler. For those not familiar with Jeeps, it is 18inches longer than a normal CJ/TJ7 I think it is 118 inches long. Anyways, there was only one turn that I remeber where it was tight for my Jeep.

There is alot of cool stuff on the trail that you will miss if you did not know they were there. Thjere is one section where you actually drive on the old Tonapah and Tidewater railroad bed. Look out for railroad spikes. They are not common due to scavagers but we saw a couple.

There is one section where the dirt trail turns into what looks like old asphaut. I asked a few old salts here in Barstow about the asphault and supposedly it is part of the old old road to the town of Dumont which was not much more than a train station, kinda cool if your into old west history.

Towards the end of the trail I think, there is what is called miners dump. Basically it is where the miners would dump ther trash but there is a few old cars there (I remember on old 40s ford truck) and a couple of late 30s early 40s sedans. I found a small glass 7up bottle there. Lots of what looks like coffee cans and food cans.

If I remember right, it ends at a road and there is an old building close by. I forget what its called but it is where miners would take there gold or ore or whatever and get paid. It is close to China Lake?, that date farm.

Its a good day trip in a Jeep to go the entire way.

china ranch. ynot got it. i posted before scrolling down all the way

Edited by superdave

Well the weekend is just not going to work out for me to make the trip. I just have to much other stuff to get done. Have fun, be safe and I will catch Sperry wash halloween weekend.

That's too bad, Terry. I don't know if we'll be able to have some beers without you. :thumb::(:dunno:

OK, we'll manage. :flipoff::laughoff: That sucks you can't make it. I hope you have the car together soon. I'm lookin forward to some buggy runs on Halloween. :driver::thumb:

We will join you on the run at halloween ynot. RR might even do it with her new toy.

:thumb: