October 4-6 2013 Trip Report

sand chick

:news:THE DUNES ARE OPEN!!!! Even if the government isn't! :rolleyes::laughoff:

BLM was still out there manning his post, checking on things. We saw him Friday and Sunday. Saturday we spent most of the day in the dunes.

We arrived about 10:30ish on Friday morning. Adam was already out there chatting it up with the BLM ranger. Really nice guy.

We unloaded and hit the sand to lay down some fresh tracks. There were maybe 6 or 7 other camps out there. And Saturday brought many day trippers. The dunes were their normal early season weirdness. Witches eyes, witches ditches, and sand hills and shelves were there weren't any last season.

There are about 5 large witches eyes on the right side of comp, you'll want to look out for those.

We started out with our usual dune run to the North Pole. Rippled sand, only tracks were ours. Back to camp to have a quick bite of lunch and let the shadows return. Do some adjustments, fill up and back out we go. We just dropped over the second big dune in behind Banshee, when I notice I was getting water on my leg, now that can't be good! So I stop to check things out. I had lost the cap to my radiator overflow. Head back to camp to look around and see if we can find it. No such luck. Fix it with what we can, plastic bag and a rubber band, hole in the top for ventilation. Hey it worked.

Just about the time we were ready to head back out. Our new sand peeps, Scott and Shelly and their pops, Don rolled up to camp. As excited as we were for dune runs, they unloaded and we headed out in just enough time for hitting up comp and the epic sunset North Pole run. Scott and Shelly were rolling in their just broke in the motor Rzr XP 1000, they had not had it in the dunes yet, so the sunset run was a nice cruise. Back to camp, fill up, eat dinner, and a slow night cruise to the South Pole. Back to camp, small fire, early to bed :sleeping: to get up at the crack of dawn for a early morning run.

After the early morning run, we had some newbies joining us for the day. Marvin and son and grandson, they wanted to "see what all this sand stuff is about" They have a 4 seater XP. Never been in sand before, so we took them on a nice slow cruise to the South Pole so they could get the feel of it and then on a slow cruise to the North Pole. By the time we hit the North Pole there were grins from ear to ear all around! :woopitydoo: :B

I think we may have some sand converts on our hands!!!

We split into two groups, I took the slower group around the back road and the front side of the dunes and Mike took the faster group through the dunes and back to camp. By then the sun was right over head again, so Mike and I took a break. But the others were not ready for a break, they had a quick bite and all took off to Little Dumont and the mines. When they got back, they were having wayyyy toooo much fun. You could hear them laughing and hootin before they rolled into camp. We never thought we would find sand peeps who were just as go go go go as we are! :headbang1:

We hung out a little longer, waiting for our friend Karl to show up. As soon as he did, we were off again. Back to camp, fill up, Adam had a DJ gig earlier in the day and he arrived JUST in time as we headed back out for a great adrenaline rushing heart pounding, a$$ sliding, balls out sunset run to the North Pole. Scott and his pops headed back, they had only dark goggles. But Adam, Karl, Mike and myself hung out at the North Pole until the sun dropped all the way down.

Back to camp for dinner, chatting around the fire, and early to bed.

Sunday brought an early morning long long, draggin out leaving as long as we could dune run, with some stops to play, wheelies and jumps and back to camp to load up, when the shadows disappeared and the sun was directly overhead.

That is how our first weekend back in the sands of Dumont went.....

:coffee::rzr::atv::rzr::atv::eat::rzr::atv::rzr::atv::rzr::atv::eat::rzr::atv::beercheers::laughing::sleeping:

Wake up, eat, ride, fill up, ride, fill up, eat, ride, ride fill up, ride, ride, eat, ride, sleep.... repeat..

Needless to say today I am :cripple::cripple::cripple::cripple::cripple:

AND I LOVE IT!!!

Pics to follow...

What a great weekend. I had a blast figuring out how to getting to know new to me xp900. Jodi was getting to know her Raptor as well. ADam is a die hard. Left for work and then came back. I knew I liked him for a reason. Always great to have Karl around. He sure can ride. The new build we did for him worked great except for he now needs a stronger clutch to hold all that power. Thanks for all the Pics Jodi.

Thanks for the great write up, Jodi! We had a freaking blast with you guys this weekend. I love the amazing shots you took of everyone. Gonna get those paddles ordered and hopefully we can keep up with Mike, Adam, and Karl a little easier next time. But it was fun trying to catch you! AND we didn't break anything... bonus!

Shelly : )

P.S. Mike - sorry about the whole "Chargers are gonna whoop the Raiders tonight" thing... Um. Ya. :dunno:

• Like 1