Buggy & Drone testing

dunefreak

I headed out to the Jean dry lake bed Sunday to do some testing on the car. My friends, Brian & Amanda, joined me and got some practice in with their new Phantom 3 Drone. Stupid drones. I've gotta have one soon. haha They are too much fun! This is a little edit I put together from the day's footage.

• Like 2

I think I got it figured out. Seems there might have been an issue with the vacuum line to the module that controls the secondary injectors. After I unplugged it at a barb connection, pulled on it and plugged it back in, it ran awesome. I made like 4 passes with it running great so I hope it was just a kinked line or something restricting it. I'll be running a new line, maybe a steel braided one, to make sure it doesn't have any issues in the future. I suspected that line might have been pinched and even checked it out at D, but never could see anything. The scan tool I was using confirmed my theory though of it running lean. I was at least half right and on the right path. A full weekend trip in the sand will confirm it's fixed and not an intermittent problem.

Drones are a money pit, be aware.

I now have a phantom 3 Professional. an Ipad air 2 to see it way better than off my phone and I just got my 3rd battery along with 3 16gb media cards.

FYI- I was talking to FE135 about holding the down lever all the way and some people were saying it would cause the motors to shut off and crash. I tried it and it will not shut off the motors. It will shut off the motors when it confirms it is at the altitude it was at take off. So doing a rapid decent will not turn off the motors (atleast on the professional version)

Imagine using helium balloons for race course like watercraft and seeing the video of a string of drones banking around the markers and trying to pass, would sound like killer bees on steroids. Now we need to fab bottle rocket launchers for them..... ever have the feeling that good clean fun could take a turn for the worse, that's the best kind. We need a fleet of those $80 Costco drones, Dumont IROC drone-in.... or drone-off. What would someone think riding a quad and look back at a bunch of drones stalking them....

I think the military might have it all wrong, instead of flying miles up in a big a$$ drone and launching a high $ JDAM bunker buster at a cave in Afghanistan they could fly one of these "hobby" drones with a grenade right into the cave looking for the right dude and BAM, nothing left but doo rag and sandals.

• Like 1