Gearing for dune's ......

1bad4fiddy

I was wonderin if anyt of you guys change your gearing for the dunes .... I have a 06 trx 450r , i run 14/38 in the desert and dune's i can pull comp in 3rd sometimes 4th ...stock is 13/38 ..........but it seemed too low in the desert i was always searchin for a higher gear in 5th ...........So should i try different gearing for dunes to pull 4th?? or will it be the same as runnin 3rd with the gearing i have now?? Sorry for all the questions just i've never messed with gearing ........

Also what kind of bike do you have and what gearing are you runnin??

I was wonderin if anyt of you guys change your gearing for the dunes .... I have a 06 trx 450r , i run 14/38 in the desert and dune's i can pull comp in 3rd sometimes 4th ...stock is 13/38 ..........but it seemed too low in the desert i was always searchin for a higher gear in 5th ...........So should i try different gearing for dunes to pull 4th?? or will it be the same as runnin 3rd with the gearing i have now?? Sorry for all the questions just i've never messed with gearing ........

Dude i thought you had a REAL quad :laughoff: A REAL quad pulls 4th no problem,even with a 240lb rider,LMAO!!!......JK.... :laughoff: Seriously though if you are close to pulling 4th with a 14-38 you should start adjusting your rear sprocket to fine tune it.Maybe a 14-39 or a 14-40 depending on how much more you need.Dropping teeth on the front sprocket on the 450's is usually overkill and overdoes whatever you are shooting for.Good Luck.

Edited by Sand_YFZ

I was running a 13/36 on my 06 ltr with a 20x10x10 extream 7 paddle

i just put a 38 rear on it so we will see how it does now at thanksgiving. from what i have heard fullerton sold me the wrong tires. everyone says i should be running a 21x12x8 tires :laughoff:

I was running a 13/36 on my 06 ltr with a 20x10x10 extream 7 paddle

i just put a 38 rear on it so we will see how it does now at thanksgiving. from what i have heard fullerton sold me the wrong tires. everyone says i should be running a 21x12x8 tires :laughoff:

Ya 20x10x10 7 cup extremes are a good duning tire,but 21x12x8 haulers will give you alot better mph up the hills.If you decide to change them i would go with a 21x12x8 6 cup regular hauler.You really dont need extremes.6 cups will also make duning a little more pleasant on an 8" wheel.The tires you are running now are about the slowest style haulers for the hill speeds,not to mention alot heavier.By cutting down the rotational mass on the rear end your quad will accelerate much quicker which makes all of your duning more enjoyeable. :laughoff:

Ya 20x10x10 7 cup extremes are a good duning tire,but 21x12x8 haulers will give you alot better mph up the hills.If you decide to change them i would go with a 21x12x8 6 cup regular hauler.You really dont need extremes.6 cups will also make duning a little more pleasant on an 8" wheel.The tires you are running now are about the slowest style haulers for the hill speeds,not to mention alot heavier.By cutting down the rotational mass on the rear end your quad will accelerate much quicker which makes all of your duning more enjoyeable. :dunno:

yea thats what i have heard. i am hoping to find someone at dumont on thanks giving that has a set that will fit my ltr to try out. or try there bike but we will see. just wish i had known before i spent 300 on the set i have know :thumbsdown:

yea thats what i have heard. i am hoping to find someone at dumont on thanks giving that has a set that will fit my ltr to try out. or try there bike but we will see. just wish i had known before i spent 300 on the set i have know :thumbsdown:

Dont feel bad ive spent thousands trying different tire,pipe,and motor combo's.When i first started i had no clue what worked good with my YFZ.The more i read on the internet i finally started understanding what i needed to do.All i can say is EBAY!!!I would just sell my old stuff on ebay and buy what i needed.I can tell you right now what the difference will be by changing your rear tires.Your bike will accelerate and pull each gear longer with the 21x12x8 6 cup haulers.On dune rides it will take a little more effort to turn but your bike will run so much better overall you wont care.If you want the best overall hill/dune tire get the Sand tires unlimited comp cut 21x12x8 padla brats on a 8x7 wheel.They are pricey at $400 a set but are the lightest tire on the market and dune way better than haulers.If you want to save money just get the 6 cup regular haulers on a 8x8 wheel.They are alot cheaper,just dont quite dune as good as the brats.Ive had both and the brats are the best all around tire,and just give up a hair on the hill.I sold mine to get a taller tire for hillshooting.What you are running now is ok,just limited in what they can do.You can do alot more gearing wise with the 21x12x8 haulers,and the brats are so light(9.5lbs each with the wheel)You can get away with taller gearing and still run the hills very hard.You will notice a very big difference in the way your bike runs just by changing to a lighter tire setup.Night and day.... :dunno::blury:

What Sand YFZ is tellin you is no lie...I put 21x12x8 6 paddle Brats on mine and the difference from my old 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers is retarded. Night and day...

Only thing that sucks about the Brats is they are pricey and you have to be careful in the rocky sand...but other than that they do everything better than my haulers...climb, slide, launch, hillshoot...everything.

The tires you have now are beyond overkill on an LTR. They are geared super tall for the sand as it is...I dropped a tooth on the front to a 13 and still need a few more on the back to be able to launch worth a sh*t.

If I ever catch you at Dumont you can rail on my bike if you want. :dunno:

Edited by Rob Sanders

What Sand YFZ is tellin you is no lie...I put 21x12x8 6 paddle Brats on mine and the difference from my old 20x10x10 8 paddle haulers is retarded. Night and day...

Only thing that sucks about the Brats is they are pricey and you have to be careful in the rocky sand...but other than that they do everything better than my haulers...climb, slide, launch, hillshoot...everything.

The tires you have now are beyond overkill on an LTR. They are geared super tall for the sand as it is...I dropped a tooth on the front to a 13 and still need a few more on the back to be able to launch worth a sh*t.

If I ever catch you at Dumont you can rail on my bike if you want. :dunno:

we will be out there at thanksgiving camped with the ddr group :thumbsdown:

i run 13-38 on my ltr and it's awesome considering i'm 220 lbs. i'm also trying to decide between 21 or 20' paddles for my bike. all my stuff is in my sig, and i'm looking at either 20x10x8--6 blade haulers or extremes and 21x12x8--6 blade padla brats. but i do alot of "duneing" bowls,buggy chaseing etc.ohh, p.s. i've seen girlwithhorns reguarly at armagosa andshe's quick :shocked2:

I went to the dunes for the first time last week. I re-geared also. Stock on my Predator is a 14 and it had a 13 on it. I also thought it was to low. I went to a 15 and loved it. I did comp hill in 2nd "pinned" with zero problems. 20" paddles.

Edited by Bound4Dirt

Gearing? I don't even worry about a clutch... let alone my final drive. :)

Works good enough...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W32AZiwxBls

• 3 weeks later...

Dont feel bad ive spent thousands trying different tire,pipe,and motor combo's.When i first started i had no clue what worked good with my YFZ.The more i read on the internet i finally started understanding what i needed to do.All i can say is EBAY!!!I would just sell my old stuff on ebay and buy what i needed.I can tell you right now what the difference will be by changing your rear tires.Your bike will accelerate and pull each gear longer with the 21x12x8 6 cup haulers.On dune rides it will take a little more effort to turn but your bike will run so much better overall you wont care.If you want the best overall hill/dune tire get the Sand tires unlimited comp cut 21x12x8 padla brats on a 8x7 wheel.They are pricey at $400 a set but are the lightest tire on the market and dune way better than haulers.If you want to save money just get the 6 cup regular haulers on a 8x8 wheel.They are alot cheaper,just dont quite dune as good as the brats.Ive had both and the brats are the best all around tire,and just give up a hair on the hill.I sold mine to get a taller tire for hillshooting.What you are running now is ok,just limited in what they can do.You can do alot more gearing wise with the 21x12x8 haulers,and the brats are so light(9.5lbs each with the wheel)You can get away with taller gearing and still run the hills very hard.You will notice a very big difference in the way your bike runs just by changing to a lighter tire setup.Night and day.... :driver::dunno:

I have a stock yfz 450 with a pipe and jet kit. I am running 20 x 11 x 10 ITP sand stars on the rear. I can go up olds in 3rd great, but 4th seems a little slow even though it is still pulling. I have a friend with a 660 raptor that keeps pretty even with me because he doesn't do as much shifting. Also on the front I have 22x8x10...I think I should have 21x7x10; what do you think?

Edited by gears911