Jeep Sahara in Dumont

tarekag

Hi All,

I am an extreme desert off-roader living in Dubai. Over there its Jeeps, Toyotas, Nissans, and V8 trucks; but very rarely buggies or wheelers. I just got a Wrangler Sahara JL in California and I wanted to visit to the Dumont Dunes and play a little. Off roading basics says that I shouldn't go there alone, so I wanted to see who arranges regular trips there, and if there is any trips planned specifically on August 23-24th. The wrangler I have is still stock, and I have my wife and kids with me so I wanted to join a simple junior trip if that is a 'thing' here too. 

If someone would educate me on the culture here for convoy trips in 4x4's, and what's the activity like in summer time.

Thanks everyone

Tarek

Edited by tarekag
  • Like 1

Too hot out there now and in August. 

Halloween 🎃 is usually the first big weekend at dumont kicking off the start of the winter dune season. 

If the weather has cooled off some before then people will start making trips on the weekend. Dune season lasts into March- May depending on how quickly the weather heats up. 

Guys. I was never going to go alone, especially with my family. So, no one goes out in August 🤔🤔. Just 10 days ago, in Dubai we had a 75 car convoy in 120 degrees weather, just sayin 😁. Just kidding, I know the tolerance for heat out there is different; it is above 90 for most of the year. Anyway, my question is, when the season is here, do you guys arrange regular convoys for some extreme riding. And again, is all the extreme riding here with wheelers/buggies, or do you do that with Wranglers, FJ's, and similar as well. 

Thanks

• Like 3

Wow, that is a great little video.  

I always find it amazing how people take there Jeeps and such in the sand like that.

Some do out in Dumont during the season, late Sept to around April/May

Most of Dumont is SxS, Sand Rails, Quads and Motorcycles

Most with Paddle Tires

I have seen Trucks and Jeeps etc

It's not usually day trips like you see in Dubai, since here it is such a drive just to get to the Dunes

Dubai they are in your backyard

It usually is a big camping trip for the weekend or week

Halloween Weekend (the weekend before Halloween is the Big beginning of the season weekend)

Tons and tons of people out there, riding and having fun.  Plus Trick or Treating from camp to camp as well.

You might want to look into a number of the Jeep groups in California and Vegas

Jeep groups love to do many different runs and you will get a taste of the different kind of Jeeping in the areas

As I mentioned before

Dumont is a distance from anything, help etc

The sand will melt you and your shoes it is so f'ing hot, its a dry heat, LOL

Another Dune area to look into is Glamis

I have never been there

But it is in lower SoCal, San Diego area

I don't know if their season is the same as Dumonts

Again, Jeep groups might be your best bet for the type of runs you are looking for

I am the proud new owner, 6 months ago, of a 2018 4 door Jeep JL with the 4 cyl Turbo....  We love it 🙂

At my luck I would bury the damn thing out at Dumont 🤣

Best of Luck

IrnBear

Edited by IrnBear
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@IrnBear

Thank you buddy for you reply. I guess I will look this up again when I am back here in November. And if you are up for it, let me show you what your JL can do on the sand.. it's an absolute beast.. the minimum upgrades though are tires beadlock rims, 2.5" lift, and good Shocks. 

Good luck bro

• Like 2

• dunefreak featured this topic
  • 1 month later...
On 8/16/2019 at 11:26 PM, tarekag said:

Guys. I was never going to go alone, especially with my family. So, no one goes out in August 🤔🤔. Just 10 days ago, in Dubai we had a 75 car convoy in 120 degrees weather, just sayin 😁. Just kidding, I know the tolerance for heat out there is different; it is above 90 for most of the year. Anyway, my question is, when the season is here, do you guys arrange regular convoys for some extreme riding. And again, is all the extreme riding here with wheelers/buggies, or do you do that with Wranglers, FJ's, and similar as well. 

Thanks

I was just there in the sand dunes of Dubai, a month ago. We rode a Range Rover in the desert. It was exciting!