Heater problem

dunefreak

Check it out...I'm gettin a$$ pumped. :hump::bawl::bawl:

I took it into DKRV this AM. They got a look at it (for a price) and called me just now. It's the electronic ignition board. It is gonna be about $450 parts & labor. :bawl::coocoo::finger:

I am gonna be on the phone tomorrow AM w/ Forest River. :finger: My hauler is just out of warranty (by about a month or two). :finger: I can't beleive they don't take care of this. The auto industry is way different. :shake: People have blown their friggin motor up at 80,000 miles (well after the 36,000 mile warranty) and we have warrantied it for FREE! :shake: So much for karma! :(:dunno:

Oh well, it will be ready tonight so I am gonna just gonna pay the price to have it for T Day and have heat and try to get full or partially reimbursed by Forest River later. :blury: ....or I'll just keep bitchen about it until it doesn't hurt anymore. :chev_bowtie: :rant:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pete - I have a propane heater made for inside spaces that you can use - its actually quieter the the ones in the RVs and puts out the same heat - oooh and its made for Indoors so its safe. Let me know if you need it - I only used it once for the one time I thought it was a good idea to stay in a tent in dumont...

Pete - I have a propane heater made for inside spaces that you can use - its actually quieter the the ones in the RVs and puts out the same heat - oooh and its made for Indoors so its safe. Let me know if you need it - I only used it once for the one time I thought it was a good idea to stay in a tent in dumont...

He said his will be fixed tonight, so I doubt he will need one. Sorry to here it cost so much Pete! :chev_bowtie:

Yep, well I just picked it up. My heater works now, but my a$$ is bleeding a lil bit. :bawl::bawl:

I asked them if it is normal for a brand new heater to go out only after about 3-4 times of use. He said, uhhhhh yep. :chev_bowtie: :bawl::hump: WTF???? I said "yyyyeah? WTF do you mean "yeah"???? So Forest River wouldn't waranty such a repair even though it is just barely out of warranty and it obviously failed because of manufacturer defect?" He said, "NOPE." :shake::finger: I continued to explain that my last toyhauler's heater was used for 4 years straight with no problem. I sold it, bought a $30,000+ toyhauler, used the heater 3 or 4 times, and now when it goes out the manufacturer isn't gonna stand behind their product only being out of warranty by a month or two? :bawl: He pretty much ignored me and got the card swiper out and continued to tell me the totoal cost of 457 dollars and 27 cents. All I said was "unf*ckinbelievable! :dunno: " I paid the bill and drove home pissed off as all hell. :shake::shake:

It's a good thing it's Thursday. I'm gonna need it tonight. :shake::blury::coocoo::finger::finger::shake::rant:

oh and by the way, thanks Chris, but I won't need it now. I have 500 dollar heat!

If anyone wants to hang out in my toyhauler while the heater is on... it's gonna be like 20 bucks an hour, ok? :chev_bowtie:

Yep, well I just picked it up. My heater works now, but my a$$ is bleeding a lil bit. :bawl::bawl:

I asked them if it is normal for a brand new heater to go out only after about 3-4 times of use. He said, uhhhhh yep. :chev_bowtie: :bawl::hump: WTF???? I said "yyyyeah? WTF do you mean "yeah"???? So Forest River wouldn't waranty such a repair even though it is just barely out of warranty and it obviously failed because of manufacturer defect?" He said, "NOPE." :shake::finger: I continued to explain that my last toyhauler's heater was used for 4 years straight with no problem. I sold it, bought a $30,000+ toyhauler, used the heater 3 or 4 times, and now when it goes out the manufacturer isn't gonna stand behind their product only being out of warranty by a month or two? :bawl: He pretty much ignored me and got the card swiper out and continued to tell me the totoal cost of 457 dollars and 27 cents. All I said was "unf*ckinbelievable! :dunno: " I paid the bill and drove home pissed off as all hell. :shake::shake:

It's a good thing it's Thursday. I'm gonna need it tonight. :shake::blury::coocoo::finger::finger::shake::rant:

get used to it. that is the way RV service centers work, unfortunately.

think about this, though. Some idiot, with half your IQ installed that thing on your heater.

I know you are hurting for time, but 500 bucks could open up an afternoon for you, right???

RV.NET was a great resource for me (until I got kicked off for pissing some people off :bawl::bawl: )

I am sure there is a post somewhere on the net that shows how to do it. If the freekin tard-os @ bendu-over RV can do it, that pretty much tells me that anyone can..

get used to it. that is the way RV service centers work, unfortunately.

think about this, though. Some idiot, with half your IQ installed that thing on your heater.

I know you are hurting for time, but 500 bucks could open up an afternoon for you, right???

RV.NET was a great resource for me (until I got kicked off for pissing some people off :hello: :north_pole: )

I am sure there is a post somewhere on the net that shows how to do it. If the freekin tard-os @ bendu-over RV can do it, that pretty much tells me that anyone can..

I hear ya, Richard, but I have no doubt that I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. I just didn't have the time to mess with it being so close to T-Day and getting other stuff ready for the trip. It's not even the cost of it that really pisses me off. It's the fact that they didn't take care of it and cover at least half the cost with it being so close to still "in warranty". I, of all people, understand that labor and time costs money, but I also know how a big name company should stand behind their product (even out of warranty by a month) to keep their customers to come back. ESPECIALLY being that the part obviosly failed to to manufacturer's defect and not because of excessive use or abuse. :freakin_nuts:

I hear ya, Richard, but I have no doubt that I wouldn't have been able to figure it out. I just didn't have the time to mess with it being so close to T-Day and getting other stuff ready for the trip. It's not even the cost of it that really pisses me off. It's the fact that they didn't take care of it and cover at least half the cost with it being so close to still "in warranty". I, of all people, understand that labor and time costs money, but I also know how a big name company should stand behind their product (even out of warranty by a month) to keep their customers to come back. ESPECIALLY being that the part obviosly failed to to manufacturer's defect and not because of excessive use or abuse. :hello:

the big RV companies, who sell and have a service dept, dont give a rats azz about the service. the service dept is pretty much set up to do warranty work, which the RV seller does not care about.

the RV sellers make an absurd amount of money on new RV sales, sometimes even over 100% of what they get it for from the mfg. :freakin_nuts:

that is where their bread and butter are, and that is why all the illegal aliens are in the service dept... go figure that..

here is what I have done, since my rig is out of warranty. I have found a few places here in town that just do service....no sales. I have found them to be more competent. they also do not have a huge turn over in employees, like the big rv sellers who have a service dpt. Also, the service IS their bread and butter, so they tend to pay more attention to detail the first time it is in the shop

these are just my observances.

too bad you live like 5 hours away, cause I would have come over and helped you...for only a 12 pack of beer :north_pole: (after the install, of course)

the big RV companies, who sell and have a service dept, dont give a rats azz about the service. the service dept is pretty much set up to do warranty work, which the RV seller does not care about.

the RV sellers make an absurd amount of money on new RV sales, sometimes even over 100% of what they get it for from the mfg. :freakin_nuts:

that is where their bread and butter are, and that is why all the illegal aliens are in the service dept... go figure that..

here is what I have done, since my rig is out of warranty. I have found a few places here in town that just do service....no sales. I have found them to be more competent. they also do not have a huge turn over in employees, like the big rv sellers who have a service dpt. Also, the service IS their bread and butter, so they tend to pay more attention to detail the first time it is in the shop

these are just my observances.

too bad you live like 5 hours away, cause I would have come over and helped you...for only a 12 pack of beer :north_pole: (after the install, of course)

BUT...if customers who buy these big expensive trailers don't get taken care of by the manufacturer AFTER they buy the trailer, what would make them buy again from the same company? I think all these big companies are forgetting this. Customer service doesn't stop at the sale.

Oh and thanks, Richard. I would have taken you up on the offer. :dunno::idiot::hello:

BUT...if customers who buy these big expensive trailers don't get taken care of by the manufacturer AFTER they buy the trailer, what would make them buy again from the same company? I think all these big companies are forgetting this. Customer service doesn't stop at the sale.

Oh and thanks, Richard. I would have taken you up on the offer. :north_pole: :hello: :freakin_nuts:

I am sad to say, that of all the experiences I have read about over on RV.NET, it seems like this is the typical run-around RV experience. I have a theory on where it comes from too.

To lower costs, and to improve their bottom line, the MFG's in CA have been using illegal aliens for some time now in their manufacturing plants. Even WW had a quality control issue that started about 2 yrs ago. I am not sure that they have that under control even now.

many new owners of the fsc and fsw WW's are experiencing the same issues, leaking plumbing, non-mounted D rings, and many more.

unfortunately, many RV mfg's are here in CA. if one mfg goes to illegal aliens for work, the rest have to keep up, or fall behind in sales.

I used to think along the same lines as you, when I was your age(that is the first time I have said that, I swear :idiot: ), until I experienced it myself. Baby stuff, chevy tahoe stuff, toy hauler stuff, wal-mart.......the customer service that was EXPECTED 10 yrs ago just doesn't exist any more.

glad you got your rig running again for t-day.....you guys deep frying a turkey???

I am sad to say, that of all the experiences I have read about over on RV.NET, it seems like this is the typical run-around RV experience. I have a theory on where it comes from too.

To lower costs, and to improve their bottom line, the MFG's in CA have been using illegal aliens for some time now in their manufacturing plants. Even WW had a quality control issue that started about 2 yrs ago. I am not sure that they have that under control even now.

many new owners of the fsc and fsw WW's are experiencing the same issues, leaking plumbing, non-mounted D rings, and many more.

unfortunately, many RV mfg's are here in CA. if one mfg goes to illegal aliens for work, the rest have to keep up, or fall behind in sales.

I used to think along the same lines as you, when I was your age(that is the first time I have said that, I swear :idiot: ), until I experienced it myself. Baby stuff, chevy tahoe stuff, toy hauler stuff, wal-mart.......the customer service that was EXPECTED 10 yrs ago just doesn't exist any more.

glad you got your rig running again for t-day.....you guys deep frying a turkey??? :freakin_nuts:

I know what you mean, but when the company I work for takes care of customers left and right it's upsetting to not be treated a fraction as good as the customers I (and the dealership) take care of. :hello:

Yes...I of all people know how cust. svc is in the sh*tter these days with most companies. remember this? haha---->click

and yeah, we're deep frying a couple turkeys for T-Day! :north_pole:

I know what you mean, but when the company I work for takes care of customers left and right it's upsetting to not be treated a fraction as good as the customers I (and the dealership) take care of. :freakin_nuts:

Yes...I of all people know how cust. svc is in the sh*tter these days with most companies. remember this? haha---->click

and yeah, we're deep frying a couple turkeys for T-Day! :hello:

Off topic......

Unfortunately customer service has gone the way of mutual respect and common courtesy. It isn't being passed along the generations for one reason or another. However that doesn't mean that I have to put up with it. I guess I'm becoming a grumpy old man.post-475-1163797444.gif

Off topic......

Unfortunately customer service has gone the way of mutual respect and common courtesy. It isn't being passed along the generations for one reason or another. However that doesn't mean that I have to put up with it. I guess I'm becoming a grumpy old man.post-475-1163797444.gif

off topic-- listen to this one

I have had ALL my cars in the last 9 yrs lubed @ walmart. They even did my duramax a couple of times. time before last, they didn't remove my skid plate before they drained the oil, and about 2 qrts leaked onto the skid plate.

I drove it home and parked it on the driveway, which is at a steep angle, and the #$#@@#@$#@'n oil leaked out on my driveway, which I didn't notice until the next morning.

anyway, I had no idea what caused it at the time, so I had it down there the next morning, thinking that the oil filter was loose, or the drain plug, or god knows what else. They tell me what happened, sent a concrete contractor out to my house with some heavy duty circular cleaners, with wire pads, and some strong chemicals. they were there for about 3 hours cleaning my driveway. It looked brand new, as it should ,cause my house is only a few years old. on top of that, they give me a free oil change for my problems.

So, I go in to get the free oil change. I tell the tech what happened last time, because he questioned why i had a free oil change. I even reminded him to remove the skid plate. I get it home, park it in the driveway.

DEE DEE DEE

I come out later that night. my cell phone was still in my truck, and what do you know.........fuggin oil running down my driveway. I call wally world

they send a couple bozos out, after dark, with kitty litter and simple green to clean up my driveway :driver: I even told them that it is dark, they can't see all the oil stains, and that they should come back.....NNNOOOOOOOOOOOOO. they spent all of 15 minutes, leaving about 100 lbs of kitty litter on my driveway :dunno:

the next day, I go out there, and sure enough, there are the stains that I told them they would miss. I called the manager again, tell him the problem, and the fact that I have kitty litter all over my driveway, and he basically told me to get lost.

I immediately went down to the automotive department, went straight to the manager, had him go over to the computer, and requested he remove all my info off the computer

"but mister, there is like 10 yrs of oil changes here, are you saying you arent coming back?"

"yup"

"okay, have a good one!!!"

effe walmart

:beerpint:

Edited by RICHARDCHEESE

VACATION STATION RV where I bought my toyhauler is awesome. They have stood behind the Toyhauler they sold me and so has SKYLINE. Not all rv centers suck. It is unfortunate that the AHOLE where Pete took his toyhauler Didnt at least call Forrest river to see if they would cover the warranty. I was at shyline today, And they have a customers trailer in there getting warranty work done, AND ITS A 2002!!! Way out of warranty but standing behind there product!!!!!

VACATION STATION RV where I bought my toyhauler is awesome. They have stood behind the Toyhauler they sold me and so has SKYLINE. Not all rv centers suck. It is unfortunate that the AHOLE where Pete took his toyhauler Didnt at least call Forrest river to see if they would cover the warranty. I was at shyline today, And they have a customers trailer in there getting warranty work done, AND ITS A 2002!!! Way out of warranty but standing behind there product!!!!!

it could have the extended warranty

I have heard many good things about skyline and their products. most rv mfgs don't actually weigh their rigs @ the plant. skyline is the only one I have heard of that does.

people that I know that have the skyline have had nothing but good things to say about them

• 3 weeks later...

Glad you got it fixed for the weekend, sorry about the reach around..... That really sucks....

Have my own heater question also. Turned mine on (1st time) last weekend and it was fine, about 3 minutes later, my smoke detector starts going off, I turn off the heater and look at it, seems fine. My buddy said his did the same thing 1st time he used it. Froze my a** off that night. I was just messing around outside yesterday, thought I would try it again, did the same thing. I don't see anything burning in there, but some smoke comes out and sets off the detector. Any ideas or has this happend to anyone else here? If it's normal for the 1st time, should I let it run a little longer? Worse case scenerio, I'll get a space heater for next weekend and take it to the shop before heading to Fla. Thanks for the suggestions.... Semper Fi, Woody :rockwoot:

Glad you got it fixed for the weekend, sorry about the reach around..... That really sucks....

Have my own heater question also. Turned mine on (1st time) last weekend and it was fine, about 3 minutes later, my smoke detector starts going off, I turn off the heater and look at it, seems fine. My buddy said his did the same thing 1st time he used it. Froze my a** off that night. I was just messing around outside yesterday, thought I would try it again, did the same thing. I don't see anything burning in there, but some smoke comes out and sets off the detector. Any ideas or has this happend to anyone else here? If it's normal for the 1st time, should I let it run a little longer? Worse case scenerio, I'll get a space heater for next weekend and take it to the shop before heading to Fla. Thanks for the suggestions.... Semper Fi, Woody :rockwoot:

could you smell the smoke?? could be with the unit being new and all, paint, cob webs, what have you. was it smoky in your trailer?

My stank pretty bad from the new paint and all....but I don't remember the smoke detector going off.

Yeah, it was a little smokey, set off the fire alarm. Didn't really see any the other night though, Maybe a little, but it smelled like something was burning. If your out next weekend, I'll try it again, and take it to the shop after the trip if I have too. Hope it's just the paint and newness thing though. I'll have a space heater with next weekend though for sure....Semper Fi, Woody :slap:

• 11 months later...