Heater problem

dunefreak

Well I have my first problem with my 06 Sandpiper. (Not bad considering how many times I have had it out :finger: )

The first night out at Halloween it worked fine, but had a bit of a burnt smell. I figured that was normal though since it hadn't been used in a WHILE. That has happened to me before so i payed no attention. :blink:

Well, the second night I turned on the t-stat and the fan kicked on like it was igniting and about to start blowing warm air out and then nothing. the fan kicked off and it just stayed off. I tried it a few more times. It did ignite once and blew warm air. It shut off at normal stat temperature but then didn't re-ignite when the temps dipped back down. :(

Anyone have any suggestions before I take this thing into DKRV? :ninja:

ISBB said Zukifreak's Warrior did some similar chit and he replaced the whole thermostat switch. :finger:

Anyone? :finger:

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I have my first problem with my 06 Sandpiper. (Not bad considering how many times I have had it out :finger: )

The first night out at Halloween it worked fine, but had a bit of a burnt smell. I figured that was normal though since it hadn't been used in a WHILE. That has happened to me before so i payed no attention. :blink:

Well, the second night I turned on the t-stat and the fan kicked on like it was igniting and about to start blowing warm air out and then nothing. the fan kicked off and it just stayed off. I tried it a few more times. It did ignite once and blew warm air. It shut off at normal stat temperature but then didn't re-ignite when the temps dipped back down. :(

Anyone have any suggestions before I take this thing into DKRV? :ninja:

ISBB said Zukifreak's Warrior did some similar chit and he replaced the whole thermostat switch. :finger:

Anyone? :finger:

pete o had that problem it could be the wire thAt ignites it mcgyver fixed mine i can show you its easy!!! :finger:

The igniter is kinda like a spark plug it can warp and loss its gap....what you can do is pull it and bent it back in to position so you are getting good spark....thats what it sounds like to me if you need me to show you where it is I will be glad to show you, We just had to do this to my moms MoHo.... :blink:

:ninja: COME ON!!! :blink:

How would it have worked once if there was no propane? Yes, there is propane and it is on. :D

Pete,

Ross had a very similar problem on his MH. The fan would kick on and no heat, turned out to be the micro-switch in the fan area that detects air flow. Call me if you need more info.

1 REASON COULD BE A 5 DOLLAR THERMO COUPLER THEY TELL THE GAS SWITCH ITS WARM ENOUGH TO ALLOW GAS TO TRAVEL THROUGH THE VALVE ITS THAT COPPER THING THAT THE PILOT IS HEATING UP EASY FIX

OR

IF YOUR BATTERY IS TO LOW (YES YOUR 12 VOLT BATTERY) IT WILL NOT LIGHT UP .IF YOUR COILS ARE NOT CLEAN IT WILL OVER HEAT AND SHUT ITSELF OFF. HEATERS ARE PICKY IN RVS I HAVN'T HAD A RV YET I HAVN'T NEEDED TO REPAIR THE HEATER.

LOW BATTERIES MAKE STUFF REALLY WIERD

1 REASON COULD BE A 5 DOLLAR THERMO COUPLER THEY TELL THE GAS SWITCH ITS WARM ENOUGH TO ALLOW GAS TO TRAVEL THROUGH THE VALVE ITS THAT COPPER THING THAT THE PILOT IS HEATING UP EASY FIX

OR

IF YOUR BATTERY IS TO LOW (YES YOUR 12 VOLT BATTERY) IT WILL NOT LIGHT UP .IF YOUR COILS ARE NOT CLEAN IT WILL OVER HEAT AND SHUT ITSELF OFF. HEATERS ARE PICKY IN RVS I HAVN'T HAD A RV YET I HAVN'T NEEDED TO REPAIR THE HEATER.

Pete, if your still running 12 volt batteries that very well could be the issue. I have seen heaters not work after the initial light up because there has to be a certain amount of juice to engage it. When I first read the post that was my first thought.

But the heater still doesn't work even with the gennie running so I don't think it's a juice issue.

You can do a test to see if it is the sail switch by tracing the wires and putting a jumper in. It is a micro switch mounted in the same chamber as the fan. I can also pull the board out of mine this weekend to check if is the board. Ross should chime in on this. Let me know if you need help testing it as Ross and I went through his whole unit before we found out it was the sail switch. I can come by one night this week.

Edited by lvnalolife

load test those batteries a bad cell will suck away gen power it usually somthing simple try the sail switch if that doesnt do it try replacing the thermo coupler its cheap and fairly easy to replace.

and somtimes a simple cleaning works no joke !!!

Thanks everyone (including ynot :rockon::laughing: ), I'll do some checks this week and see what I find. :blink:

Like I said, let me know if you need my help or want me to pull my board and bring it over. The sail switch is kinda hard to get to, but you can jump the wires to see if it ignites, then you will know if that is the issue.

Like I said, let me know if you need my help or want me to pull my board and bring it over. The sail switch is kinda hard to get to, but you can jump the wires to see if it ignites, then you will know if that is the issue.

I heard you. Thanks for the input. I'll let you know, JJ. I appreciate it.

OR

Yep all the above, and keep it clean.

Dune RV heaters get loaded up with dust.

3/8" gap between ignitor and pilot.

Edited by Ross and Alice

Well, last night I tried cleaning it with a long air gun. I could only get in there so far though. Nothing on this unit is servicable unless you pull the whole unit out from under the cabinet. :laughoff: Everything that everyone told me to check is buried in the back of the unit and there is NO access panel or anything I can removed to gain access to it. :north_pole: It looks like in order to pull the unit out it consists of: 2 screws in the floor, prop[ane line, and 3 air ducts.

I made an appt. w/ DKRV for Thurs. If they can't get the parts or get it done before Monday...I'm taking it out to Dumont anyways along with plenty of sleeping bags. :laughoff:

Well, last night I tried cleaning it with a long air gun. I could only get in there so far though. Nothing on this unit is servicable unless you pull the whole unit out from under the cabinet. :laughoff: Everything that everyone told me to check is buried in the back of the unit and there is NO access panel or anything I can removed to gain access to it. :north_pole: It looks like in order to pull the unit out it consists of: 2 screws in the floor, prop[ane line, and 3 air ducts.

I made an appt. w/ DKRV for Thurs. If they can't get the parts or get it done before Monday...I'm taking it out to Dumont anyways along with plenty of sleeping bags. :laughoff:

Just eat a lot of beans! :laughoff: