07 duramax

vegas450r

Took new truck to dumont last friday. Did great on the hwy. Was pulling a 16 ft utility trailer with 2 quads, dirtbike and gear. we parked about 50 yards from the entrance to comp/banshee hill. When we got ready to leave, had a hard time getting moving. had to go back and forth about 3x. about 20 ft in each direction, before we got moving good. we had it in 4 hi. it felt like the tires were hopping, you know that chattering sound. it came stock with 245/75r/16's.

was thinking about some 285/85r/16's. I aint got the cash to buy new wheels, or do a lift, that's why I'm staying with 16's. anybody got ideas what brands r good, good tire place ect. I'll be getting a toy hauler ( 26 ft) in near future. I don't think i'll be able to get around at the dunes, (dumont amargosa) with the tires i have now.

Thanks in advance

The biggest reason for the axle hop and tire slippage is the amount of air pressure they have. If you are in soft soft sand you'll get that with almost any tire that is 60+ psi. My Toyos work pretty good in the sand. Try airing down to say 50 or so. It might help next time and should still be enough to tow with.

The biggest reason for the axle hop and tire slippage is the amount of air pressure they have. If you are in soft soft sand you'll get that with almost any tire that is 60+ psi. My Toyos work pretty good in the sand. Try airing down to say 50 or so. It might help next time and should still be enough to tow with.

I thought about that too. but since I didn't have a compressor or a tire gage, i didn't want to drop down the pressure. I also need to get used to the power of the diesel compared to the 5.3 i had in my 03.

On my 03 1500 4x4, i had stock tires on it. I pulled a 16 ft enclosed trailer loaded up with quads and gear, and never even spun a tire in the sand. Heck, i even pulled my motor home out of the sand with the trailer hooked up and didn't spin a tire.

I will keep a tire gage in the truck from now on though.

pretty much anything wider than the stock cookie cutters will do. why gm puts those 245's on the hd's :xmas_lipsrsealed: :xmas_grin:

My friend who worked at the local Hummer dealership was nice enough to give me 4 h2 rims. they had a freekin wherehouse full of um. i run 315/70/17 cooper sst's on them

I always air down in the sand, but always bring an air compressor, either 110v or 12 v, to air back up too.

check here for a good selection of tires for your truck

dieselplace.com

my 38x15r20 nitto mud terrains have no problem :rockon:

Neither do I with my 38x15.5R20 Toyo MT's.

Like Pete said these tires are pretty good. I was able to pull my big a$$ toyhauler out of that same spot with only 2wd when I broke the front ring gear this past Thanksgiving. Good traction is always a plus in sand. Anything will be better than the stock cookie cutters. My father-in-law put the torsion keys on the front to level his and put 285/75R16 Nitto Terra Grapplers on his 2500HD. Those work really good too.

I have an '04 2500HD that I went 1 size up(265's) all around & it does fine in the sand....I had a buddy who worked at a local tire shop who mounted up a 285 for test fitting purposes and that size would require some slight fender trimming (on a stock truck) to clear lock to lock & more-so for suspension flex. I also didn't wanna compromise ride quality, gas mileage (lol) & throw off the speedo...food for thought

I have an '04 2500HD that I went 1 size up(265's) all around & it does fine in the sand....I had a buddy who worked at a local tire shop who mounted up a 285 for test fitting purposes and that size would require some slight fender trimming (on a stock truck) to clear lock to lock & more-so for suspension flex. I also didn't wanna compromise ride quality, gas mileage (lol) & throw off the speedo...food for thought

I believe that's what size i'll be getting. I checked out a few web sites and that's what most peeps end up going with, that don't do a lot of other mods. I don't want to have to trim bumber, wheel wells ect. I might have the bars cranked to level it out. now to find a good price, and a place to crank the bars. I don't know if discount tires, big o or other places like that do the torsion bar crank. probably looking at checking out prices at extreme auto on gibson & 215 or 4 wheel parts. Has anybody ever delt with these places? and are there any other places that would do the bars?

Cranking up the torsion bars shouldn't be a big deal as long as you crank evenly on both sides. Ride quality will stiffen up front also. I did it on a Nissan p/u I had & the ride flat out sucked! I would check Costco for tire deals, but keep in mind if you go with a lower rated tire than it came with from the factory most places won't mount it up for you.

you can also change torsion keys in the torsion bars to get more lift in the front end (without sacrificing to much ride comfort :dance:

This is what everyone else thinks too. Torison keys don't allow for more lift without sacrificing ride. They only allow lift without needing to crank up the torsions so far. Your front suspension is still the same. Your control arms are gonna "top out" if you go far enough no matter what torsion keys you have.

This is what everyone else thinks too. Torison keys don't allow for more lift without sacrificing ride. They only allow lift without needing to crank up the torsions so far. Your front suspension is still the same. Your control arms are gonna "top out" if you go far enough no matter what torsion keys you have.

true i just ment your going to lose some ride comfort but when your torsions eventually sag you have more room to adjust . because your suspension hasn't been tapped out yet .

Costco for tire deals, but keep in mind if you go with a lower rated tire than it came with from the factory most places won't mount it up for you.

R u taking about load and speed rating? I'll get a least the same load rating i have now or higher, since i'll be getting a TH. i've checked on some BFG that are around 3k + load rating.

1. costco, at least the one in Bakersfield, will NOT put tires on your vehicle if they are not the tires that specificaly came from the factory................for 2500hd's 245/75/16 :jester:

2. the green torsion keys, (from the 1500 series trucks and suvs) do allow a "little" bit better ride than the regular torsion bars on the 2500hd's, when cranked, but not by much.

3. with a "little" trimming, I was able to fit 315/70/17's on H2's on a stock suspension, with the torsion bars cranked all the way.

4. the bump stop on upper control arms on the 2500hd's compromise the stock suspension, with the torsion bars cranked, and extend the suspension, even on the smallest drop off's

Costco for tire deals, but keep in mind if you go with a lower rated tire than it came with from the factory most places won't mount it up for you.

R u taking about load and speed rating? I'll get a least the same load rating i have now or higher, since i'll be getting a TH. i've checked on some BFG that are around 3k + load rating.

Yes, I put a BFG A/T load rating "D" on mine, but only cuz my friend who worked at a local tire shop hooked me up. All other places I priced out wanted to rape me for the "E" rated tires the truck comes with. BTW I paid $500 for all 4, mounted, balanced, & road hazard warranty...but they also bought back my stockers. I thought it was a good deal. I don't tow/haul anything those tires can't handle anyways.