LITTLE SAHARA (UTAH)

daranged

Little Sahara is going be a little cooler then you would think the first huge weekend up the is Memorial Weekend although there will be many people up there fro Easter. A lot of riding-tons of trails, behind the mountain is monster bowl riding, forever not many people go back there, so you don't have to worry as much but still keep you eyes out. :headbang1: On the left side is a "S track that is pretty fun if you don't want to stray to far from camp and on the right side are mini dunes and hard packed trails over to the camp sites. Everyone camps at the base of the hill though it a good time. Plan on makin a few trips up this year. (You might want to re-jet you bike elevation is about 4500feet, just a thought if you go up) this is a pic. of sand mountain is was taken april of last year, hense no one being there and snow on the ground.

post-2294-1172636295.jpg

Not a great picture, but the best I got on the computer. At the top where the trees are is called the phone booth. :DDRrocks: (only place you get service at the hill.)

Best way to get there (from Vegas) take I-15 to So. Santaquin and head to delta about a about 1-1 and half hour drive, you will go through a town called Eurkea (very much llike Tacopa) don't speend that is the only money that town has. You have about 20miles after that turn right at the sign. $8 a day pass. I know there are other ways but this one is straight to it so you won't miss trun offs.

Edited by YFZ Chick

this is what i found out about last easter, this is CRAZZZY $h-t !!!!! :beercheers: By Myrna Trauntvein

Times-News Correspondent

Two fatal accidents marred the Easter holiday at the Little Sahara Sand Dunes in western Juab County.

The accidents occurred on the first two days of Easter weekend at the sand recreation playground.

Killed were Robert B. Kelly, 39, Ogden, and Tyler Call, 19, Brigham City.

The first accident, which claimed the life of Kelly, occurred at 3 a.m., Friday, said Juab County Sheriff David Carter, and the second, which took the life of Call, happened at 4:30 p.m. on Saturday.

Carter said he estimates the visitor count at Little Sahara to be more than 30,000. "Most of the campgrounds were full by Thursday evening and the people kept pouring in all day Friday and Saturday."

"There were more camps scattered around the rest of the county than usual, and I would estimate the number of visitors to Juab County for the Easter weekend to be over 50,000.

In addition to the two fatalities, there were several injury accidents, several assaults, and hundreds of citations issued.

The death rate, with two fatalities, was higher this year than it had been for a few years.

"Mr. Kelly lost his life in a dune buggy rollover at Big Sand Mountain," said Carter. "Mr. Kelly and a passenger were traveling up Sand Mountain and when they crested the top, the vehicle went airborne about 60 feet and then rolled over. It appears Mr. Kelly was killed instantly."

The second fatality occurred when Call was traveling on his off-road four-wheel recreation vehicle.

"Mr. Call was traveling on his four-wheeler just north of Sand Mountain just below the crest of a dune when a motorcycle came over the top and collided with Mr. Call," Carter said.

Air Med was called to the scene to transport Call to a hospital. Emergency Medical Technicians from the Juab County Ambulance Association worked to stabilize Call at the scene of the accident.

"When Air Med arrived at the scene, their emergency medical crew also tried to revive him but were unable to save Mr. Call and he was pronounced dead at the scene."

Carter said the Little Sahara Sand Dunes Recreation Area is always busy during the Easter weekend but had been particularly busy this year.

"School vacations and good weather worked together to make his year's holiday one of the first times families had to have a vacation out in the open. The large crowds made the holiday particularly hectic for law enforcement."

One disturbing incident was an assault in which one individual was so badly beaten that he had to be transported directly to Mountain View Hospital in Payson.

The victim suffered multiple cuts and abrasions and possible damage to his eyes. Law enforcement officers had a difficult time stopping those who were involved in the beating, said Carter.

"It was an extremely violent assault," he said.

There were several other assaults which occurred during the holiday celebration at the Sand Dunes. Sheriff's Deputies also investigated a sexual assault and several other minor complaints.

"It was a very busy weekend," Carter said. "Ambulance crews made about 15 runs to the hospital and treated many accident victims at the medical station set up at the Dunes."

Carter said he has not yet made his final tally of citations issued, but he did know the weekend arrest and citation count would be more than 500. "There were half a dozen DUIs, several arrests for possession of illegal drugs and drug paraphernalia, about 75 alcohol violations and over 350 equipment violations."

Carter said the Sheriff's Office was assisted by a BLM (Bureau of Land Management) Ranger, eight officers from the State Motor Vehicle Investigations Division, two Highway Patrolmen, eight Millard County Deputies, two Nephi City Police Officers, and several members of the Juab County Search and Rescue Squad.

"The Sheriff's Dispatch has been swamped the entire weekend," Carter said. "I cannot believe that, at times, they could keep up with all of the calls from the Sand Dunes alone, besides the dispatch calls from the rest of the county."

"We all have been extremely busy," said Carter.

im going up for easter you all are more than welcome to come :flipoff: and :laughoff: its a fun party and lots of good :laughoff: if you are planning on going let me know so we can meet up :laughoff:

Edited by daranged

• 2 weeks later...

COME ON UP, Strength is in the size of your camp :headbang1: here on big week end's. If you want to come up on Easter or any other let me know I'll leave a spot open for Ya

are you going to sand mountain for easter ?

also i think i know who you are did you grow up in orem off 4 th north ?

Edited by daranged