More power for my Z400

Foxysandchick

My 07 Z400 is completely stock and I am looking to start with some upgrades. I am looking to get a Yoshimura slip on exhaust, K&N air filter set, jet kit, and a rev limiter. Any feedback or suggestions are appreciated, but please speak in stupid terms cause I am new at all of this. :dunno:

Can anyone suggest a good shop (vegas) or a website to get a good deal?

:driver:

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

u might try z400central.com

Damn, Don...no faith in the peeps of DDR? :DDRrocks::laughoff:

anyways...

Foxysandchick, you named just about everything that is the easiest and cheapest bang for your buck. I, personally, would stay away from the rev boxes. I am seen many problems with them. If you do end up getting one, keep the stock one under your seat in case that new rev box ever goes out. I'd just do a slip on pipe, K&N and outerwear & remove the airbox lid, and jet it to compensate and be done with it. Those bikes run pretty decent as long as you aren't a hill shooter. They are great in the dunes. :headbang1:

Damn, Don...no faith in the peeps of DDR? :DDRrocks: :gayboy:

anyways...

Foxysandchick, you named just about everything that is the easiest and cheapest bang for your buck. I, personally, would stay away from the rev boxes. I am seen many problems with them. If you do end up getting one, keep the stock one under your seat in case that new rev box ever goes out. I'd just do a slip on pipe, K&N and outerwear & remove the airbox lid, and jet it to compensate and be done with it. Those bikes run pretty decent as long as you aren't a hill shooter. They are great in the dunes. :headbang1:

Great! I was going to do the rev box last anyway :D.

I am just having some trouble with getting stuck in the soft sand on some of the hills, so I want a little more power to get everywhere I want to go. I am comfortable with the speed/power it has now for the small dunes and flats, but I got stuck on Comp (off on the right hand side) and at the top of the Bowl...was riding and just sunk into the sand :laughoff:. I dont plan on racing or anything like that, just want to enjoy all of the dunes without waiting for a nice guy to stop and pull me out!

:clap:

hey foxy what's up i met ya at amargosa. my last ride was an 05 ltz and i did everything to it and did it myself and it ripped so just shoot me a pm and we'll figure out exactly what 'ya need and i'll hook you up with the best dealers.

hey foxy what's up i met ya at amargosa. my last ride was an 05 ltz and i did everything to it and did it myself and it ripped so just shoot me a pm and we'll figure out exactly what 'ya need and i'll hook you up with the best dealers.

Yup, I remember you :DDRrocks:, you were very helpful out there and it was great chatting with you. I will send you a PM shortly.

I would do a curtis sparks full pipe, K&N, Jets and rev box. I have seen a 400 go from stock to big bore flywheels and everything inbetween and i rode it with 2 diffrent pipes. One time witha yoshi full system and it was ok power then i rode it wiht the curtis and i saw a major diffrecne in power. I dunno how much the curtis runs in price but i love the sound of them. If i was gunna go to a diffrent pipe or i had to buy a new one i would look at HMF OR CURTIS SPARKS.

Hey Foxy if you want to start to build your bike I think its great but Im thinking your getting stuck prob maybe tires and or tire presure. My son rides a stock LTZ and can ride any dune there at Dumont with no problems. So check your presures you should be around 4 to 6 lbs and make sure you play with the presures because a pound can make a huge diffrance. Also what paddles are you running?

Hey Foxy if you want to start to build your bike I think its great but Im thinking your getting stuck prob maybe tires and or tire presure. My son rides a stock LTZ and can ride any dune there at Dumont with no problems. So check your presures you should be around 4 to 6 lbs and make sure you play with the presures because a pound can make a huge diffrance. Also what paddles are you running?

I believe the pressure in my tires is about 4lbs, would have to check to be certain. I am running ITP Sand Stars on the back and my stock dirt tires on the front.

I made it to the top of the bowl, but got stuck on the top...rode up, stopped on the very top on the flat part, took some pics, went to head down, and was stuck.

I was riding comp without a problem till I moved farther right of where everyone was riding..I was going up, 2nd gear full throttle, got a little ways up and felt like I wasn't moving much, bike started to shudder a little and tires started to spin, bike stalled and I was dug in pretty good. Some guy came and pulled me out and turned my bike around. I moved over to the left of that area and ran the hill without a problem. Theory seemed to be that my bike didnt have the power/torque to make it through that sand.

I was riding with a stock YFZ450 (I think he has the same paddles as me, but not certain) and he didnt have a problem anywhere.

:headbang1:

I love my bike even though it is extremely slow on the hills, I dont plan on really racing, but getting stuck is no fun when I am not able to pull it out myself :DDRrocks:.

Thanks!

Oh more pressure in tires=what? less=what?

I will check those adjustments before my next ride.

Well if they are at 4 and pulling hard without boging the bike than you should be fine or you could go down to 3 and try that. You want them to float with out hooking up so good that they pull the motor down. to. I know when I play on my sons and I dig it in it pulls right out, but he is running sand skate II. My other son has sand stars on his bike and to me I think they suck ( to hard and heavy) but he only weighs 50 lbs and rides a built blaster so he can go anywhere he wants. So im not going to chang them.

When I pipe my sons 400 Im going to go with a sparks on his. A friend of mine just bought a Yoshi for his wifes and it was jsut a bolt on deal and did help on the low to mid. He left the air box alone so there was no need to jet it. Yoshi are good but Im wanting to try something diffrent for ours.

Also Ive ran across your post a few and noticed that this bike is new to you. You have to remember that your 400 doest have the HP or TQ a 450 has and the 400 love to be reved high to get into the power. So try riding it like you stole it. . Trust me it can take it.

Well if they are at 4 and pulling hard without boging the bike than you should be fine or you could go down to 3 and try that. You want them to float with out hooking up so good that they pull the motor down. to. I know when I play on my sons and I dig it in it pulls right out, but he is running sand skate II. My other son has sand stars on his bike and to me I think they suck ( to hard and heavy) but he only weighs 50 lbs and rides a built blaster so he can go anywhere he wants. So im not going to chang them.

When I pipe my sons 400 Im going to go with a sparks on his. A friend of mine just bought a Yoshi for his wifes and it was jsut a bolt on deal and did help on the low to mid. He left the air box alone so there was no need to jet it. Yoshi are good but Im wanting to try something diffrent for ours.

Also Ive ran across your post a few and noticed that this bike is new to you. You have to remember that your 400 doest have the HP or TQ a 450 has and the 400 love to be reved high to get into the power. So try riding it like you stole it. . Trust me it can take it.

yes...out of all the 4-strokes zuk's definately are more rpm happy. but like i said before not to toot my own horn but my old z was and still is fast (it's at dumont all the time) and you saw that i'm pretty fast on my ltr so i will HOOK A SISTA up and i WILL NOT steer you wrong :mischevious:

My tires do seem to dig in alot, so guess I should try messing with the pressure a little. When I get dug in even a little and I hit the throttle I just get dug in deeper, never pulls out. I only weigh about 120, so I didnt think that would be the problem.

I did read that with a slip on Yoshi pipe that I wouldnt need to re-jet, but I was told it would help to open the airbox and rejet. So I was thinking to get a Yoshi slip on first then work on the airbox and rejetting a little later (when I can save up more $ :) ) I am now trying to figure out if I should go full pipe or slip on? :mischevious:

Yes, the bike is brand new 2007 bought in January and also my first quad, so I am trying to learn all the techy stuff. I learned on the 450 and do understand the difference enough to know my bike isnt going to perform the same, so when I run into something I dont understand I ask alot of questions, which is what happened on my incident at comp hill. I am just getting comfortable enough with my ability to really get on it, I can ride the flats in 4th comfortably and sometimes 5th and the whoops in 2nd or 3rd depending how tired I am, I can usually get through the little dunes in 2nd or 3rd without a problem, but banshee and comp is 2nd all the way or it stalls out. I had been riding Banshee since I learned to ride, but Pres weekend was my first time going all out on Banshee then I took it to Comp, so I am getting better with time.

I have gotten alot of great feedback from this site and I really appreciate it.

yes...out of all the 4-strokes zuk's definately are more rpm happy. but like i said before not to toot my own horn but my old z was and still is fast (it's at dumont all the time) and you saw that i'm pretty fast on my ltr so i will HOOK A SISTA up and i WILL NOT steer you wrong :mischevious:

You are a great help. I hope we can get together again either at Dumont or Armagosa and maybe you will let me take your bike out for a spin B). I definately believe you know what you are talking about :mischevious:, and thanks for not talking to me like I am an idiot :mischevious:.

:mischevious: Can some of you try to explain to me the difference in getting a full pipe and a slip on? I have tried to do some research, but cant seem to find something that tells me why I should get one instead of the other. So maybe someone on here can explain a little to me. :mischevious: Basically what am I gaining by going with the full pipe or sacrificing by going with the slip on? Also maybe a little about the materials..stainless vs titanium etc.

:mischevious:

Thanks again!

I wouldnt worry about stainless or titanium either will work good for you. Now diff between slip on and full system is all in price and HP. If you can afford it get the full, but you will only gain 1 maybe 2 horse over the slip on. But if you plan on going big with your build go with a full because when you start pumping and burning more fuel you will need the better and bigger head pipe. All my reserch on for our 400 Im going with a full system. But if your on a budget I would just stick with a slip on and run it.

Hey my son has a black 07 just like yours, he loves his bike.

I wouldnt worry about stainless or titanium either will work good for you. Now diff between slip on and full system is all in price and HP. If you can afford it get the full, but you will only gain 1 maybe 2 horse over the slip on. But if you plan on going big with your build go with a full because when you start pumping and burning more fuel you will need the better and bigger head pipe. All my reserch on for our 400 Im going with a full system. But if your on a budget I would just stick with a slip on and run it.

Hey my son has a black 07 just like yours, he loves his bike.

Ok thanks for the input, I will do some more reading and see what works best for me. Would it be practical if I get the slip on now and maybe later decide to change out the head pipe or would that just be a hassle? I am trying to budget a little at the moment, but I will just work some more overtime if that is what it comes down to. :mischevious:

I had to get the black one :D , I really enjoy this bike and I am having a great time with the hobby. I am trying to learn as much as I can!

Basically just the size and bend of the header. It will help gases flow better, they also have something called steps/shingles in them, they help different area's of power in the bottom, mid and top end. Different headers are better for some area's, depends on where your looking for your power. For your riding, a slip on should be just fine. Here's a link you can look at.... :mischevious:

http://www.yfztech.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8299

Basically just the size and bend of the header. It will help gases flow better, they also have something called steps/shingles in them, they help different area's of power in the bottom, mid and top end. Different headers are better for some area's, depends on where your looking for your power. For your riding, a slip on should be just fine. Here's a link you can look at.... :mischevious:

http://www.yfztech.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=8299

Is there such a thing as being too helpful?! :D Thank you!

:mischevious:

:laughoff: Can some of you try to explain to me the difference in getting a full pipe and a slip on? I have tried to do some research, but cant seem to find something that tells me why I should get one instead of the other. So maybe someone on here can explain a little to me. :laughoff: Basically what am I gaining by going with the full pipe or sacrificing by going with the slip on? Also maybe a little about the materials..stainless vs titanium etc.

:laughing:

Thanks again!

I woulndt worry about stainless or titanium. If you want a color pipe go to

www.hmfengineering.com

a curtis sparks

www.sparksracing.com

Those 2 pipes are the ones i would go with.Well if you have a stock head pipe you dont have the opening to push the air out your sucking in. Its going out but not as much as it could well i hope that helped ya little bit :D:laughoff:

Have fun in your decision its all money and power and speed :dunno: