More power for my Z400

Foxysandchick

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

get the rossier look at the dyno charts no other pipes will beat that or the price :laughing:

Dude you are telling a chick to look at dyno charts :dunno: ...like I would understand any of that, but thanks for trying :D. If I could figure it out by charts I wouldnt have to ask you guys.

I woulndt worry about stainless or titanium. If you want a color pipe go to

www.hmfengineering.com

a curtis sparks

www.sparksracing.com

Those 2 pipes are the ones i would go with.Well if you have a stock head pipe you dont have the opening to push the air out your sucking in. Its going out but not as much as it could well i hope that helped ya little bit :D:dunno:

Have fun in your decision its all money and power and speed :laughing:

Thanks, I asked about materials simply cause there was like 5 to choose from and didnt know the difference, dont care much for color or looks.

Still trying to work out the whole head pipe thing in my head though :laughoff:.

hey foxysandchick, the wife's got the same Z400 as you, color & all. I found that Alba racing has a complete kit (full pipe/jet kit including needles, pilots, & mains, max flo adapter & K&N filter w/Outerwear) all for cheap. That's the exact system that's gonna go on her bike. Check it out for yourself...albaaction.com :beercheers: You'll be hard pressed to find just a full pipe at their price.

Edited by Dooner

I didn't see anyone mention changing gearing. Sprocket changes provide cheap (approx $15 Front, $40 rear) performance. If you want a little better acceleration for the hills go down a tooth in the front or up a tooth in the back. Think of it like a 10 speed or mountain bike. If you can pull comp hill in 2nd fine but 3rd bogs, dropping a tooth in the front will allow your engine to get the RPM's up to use 3rd and pull the hill faster. It will lower your top speed in each gear little, but not enough to notice. You can also change your rear tire size (tire hieght) to have a similar affect. Playing with both sprockets and tires will give you even more options. One note on sprockets, changing 1 tooth in the front is equal to 3 in the rear. I can't tell you what to run but typically the stock setup is for all around riding. I would start by dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth and see what you think, you'll notice a difference.

I didn't see anyone mention changing gearing. Sprocket changes provide cheap (approx $15 Front, $40 rear) performance. If you want a little better acceleration for the hills go down a tooth in the front or up a tooth in the back. Think of it like a 10 speed or mountain bike. If you can pull comp hill in 2nd fine but 3rd bogs, dropping a tooth in the front will allow your engine to get the RPM's up to use 3rd and pull the hill faster. It will lower your top speed in each gear little, but not enough to notice. You can also change your rear tire size (tire hieght) to have a similar affect. Playing with both sprockets and tires will give you even more options. One note on sprockets, changing 1 tooth in the front is equal to 3 in the rear. I can't tell you what to run but typically the stock setup is for all around riding. I would start by dropping the front sprocket 1 tooth and see what you think, you'll notice a difference.

Thanks! Actually NLVREDNECK did tell me about going 13 tooth front sprocket in a PM, so I was going to do that.

I appreciate the input :D.

Hey Kristin, you getting stuck seems to be lack of riding experience... I know you only started to ride a few months ago.

My statement is based on the fact that over this past presidents weekend I rode for all 3 days a friends '05 LT-Z400 100% stock rolling on ITP SandStars 20x11r10s 3-4lbs psi and never had a problem getting stuck. I literally weigh 2x as lil'o you, at 240lbs.

Pulled Banshee 1/2 way up in 3rd before having to grap 2nd and Comp about 1/3 up before grabbing 2nd and held it ALL the way to the top..

That thing had plenty of torgue for my chubby butt. Don't be afraid to work the bike, get them RPMs up. You'll see has you ride more!

Does anyone have a 2003-2007 LTZ service manual laying around? :DDRrocks:

:mc_smiley:

I just so happen to have her '05 manual right here, PM any ?s you might have.... :chat: or MySpace or Call or messenger pegion or what ever the heck you wanna do.......

Edited by PiercedBoy

Hey Kristin, you getting stuck seems to be lack of riding experience... I know you only started to ride a few months ago.

My statement is based on the fact that over this past presidents weekend I rode for all 3 days a friends '05 LT-Z400 100% stock rolling on ITP SandStars 20x11r10s 3-4lbs psi and never had a problem getting stuck. I literally weigh 2x as lil'o you, at 240lbs.

Pulled Banshee 1/2 way up in 3rd before having to grap 2nd and Comp about 1/3 up before grabbing 2nd and held it ALL the way to the top..

That thing had plenty of torgue for my chubby butt. Don't be afraid to work the bike, get them RPMs up. You'll see has you ride more!

Maybe your fat arse has something to do with that :mc_smiley: (kidding kidding) cause that seems to be the only difference.

But I got stuck at the top of the bowl with a stock yfz 450, he was sunk in also but his pulled out of it, mine dug deeper.

I got stuck going up the far right side of comp, but I ran up the middle many times without ever having a problem so doubt that was rider error(maybe). Like I said I was going 2nd full throttle, got a little ways up and just lost forward momentum, tires spinning and then it stalled. I was dug pretty good cause I couldnt budge it at all, took 2 of us to get it turned around. Figured if I can ride comp in one area and I move 20 feet over then I should be able to ride it there just the same.

Are you saying you were in 1st on comp till 1/3 way up then went to 2nd? Or you saying you were in 3rd on comp?? I might have made it if I had went down to 1st when it started to shudder :DDRrocks: , but I had been riding 2nd all day without a problem.

The guy I ride with took it up Banshee in 3rd and got about 1/2 way before he had to grab back to 2nd, I always have someone ride mine up the big hills first then tell me what gears to use.

:chat:

Always appreciate anyones opinion, thanks.

compared to some of the other tires out there, the sand star tends to be heavy.

although I have seen them run on DS650's (sand pigs) and do good.

you shouldn't be getting stuck like that, as the bike isnt all that heavy, and you have sand tires on it.

do you get stuck often, or once in awhile?

Could I send a message pigeon to borrow it for a moment? :mc_smiley:

:DDRrocks: I have the Owner's manual not SERVICE.... hooked on phonics didn't work for me i guess.

But, looks like Woody can handle it..

Edited by PiercedBoy

Maybe your fat arse has something to do with that :DDRrocks: (kidding kidding) cause that seems to be the only difference.

:grin: That's it! LETS GO CHICA! :chat: Don't worry you'll learn to ride one day.... :D Ur a fiesty one huh!

Are you saying you were in 1st on comp till 1/3 way up then went to 2nd? Or you saying you were in 3rd on comp?? I might have made it if I had went down to 1st when it started to shudder :loser: , but I had been riding 2nd all day without a problem.

At Comp, went through the woops in 4th grabbed 3rd at the bottum and down shifted to 2nd 1/3-1/2 way up.

I tried to go up that far right of comp also but, had to turn out of it. It was soft!! :mc_smiley:

compared to some of the other tires out there, the sand star tends to be heavy.

although I have seen them run on DS650's (sand pigs) and do good.

you shouldn't be getting stuck like that, as the bike isnt all that heavy, and you have sand tires on it.

do you get stuck often, or once in awhile?

Only got stuck on the hills 2 times (Pres day), never had a problem before. First time was on Comp Hill, ran the middle twice, moved right about 20 feet and it wouldnt make it up, went back to the middle and ran up without a problem. The other time was at the top of the bowl, was riding around up there at the top flat area, turned to head down and tires just spun in the sand, the other guy I was with got on it and tried to ride it out, but it just dug in more so he pulled it out and down I went. :driver:

Maybe I will have someone ride it up the same area during the cleanup weekend and see if it is rider error, though I dont know what I could be doing. :thumb:

:boxer: That's it! LETS GO CHICA! :laughoff: Don't worry you'll learn to ride one day.... :D Ur a fiesty one huh!

At Comp, went through the woops in 4th grabbed 3rd at the bottum and down shifted to 2nd 1/3-1/2 way up.

I tried to go up that far right of comp also but, had to turn out of it. It was soft!! :thumb:

:boxer::grin:

I am the first to admit I am new and have stuff to learn, so whoever wants to teach me I am ready to be taught! I ask A LOT of questions.

So there it is, same bike different rider and it wouldn't go up the far right area on Comp, so :thumb: to rider error :blink:.

I didnt try Banshee or Comp in anything but 2nd, one guy tried Banshee in 3rd and it wouldn't make it, so I stuck in 2nd with the pedal to the metal :driver:.

i'll be there next weekend the 10th and if we can meet up i'll see what i can help ya with. :) my old z i'd launch in 2nd gear and at just before the whoops i'd shift to 3rd and pull it hard all the way up. but i also had a little more mods. :D