Entrance road progress

the road still sucked except it a shade of black now. i did like this weekend on friday the payment box was out of service and today there was nobody manning the station. But the dunes were so nice i cant wait for halloween had to do some test and tuning on the new buggy.

They aren't really calling it paved. Is it any worse than how it was on kickoff weekend? (10/5 - 10/7) I didn't think it was bad at all that weekend.

Yeah, there are several different threads on this whole thing and we've tried to let people know from the beginning that the road is not (and never will be) paved.

Paving the road costs, no kidding, $1,000,000 per mile. One million! Sorry... but that's just not in the Dumont budget.

The problem we all share is, the EPA is targeting 'dust' problems and we have (had?) a big one at Dumont along the entrance road. The BLM tried several substances and methods but none seemed to be working. Using this product to lay a surface down was relatively inexpensive and paying for it didn't come from user fees.

The dust problem could have caused Dumont some serious capacity limit issues at the least, closures at the worst... so the washboard surface remains until someone can come up with $1,000,000 (per mile) to pave the darn thing. ;)

VickiW

Edited by SailAway

The question still has never been answered, How much was it going to cost the contractor to dispose of the chuncked up stuff we are calling pavement? I cant believe someone paid for something that the contractor was going to have to pay to dispose of. If the price of this stuff was lets just say 100,000 and the contractor was going to have to pay 50,00 to dispose of it. Shouldnt the people buying it only have had to pay 50,000? Or was the contractor just a really good salesman? Or getting a kickback?

Yeah, there are several different threads on this whole thing and we've tried to let people know from the beginning that the road is not (and never will be) paved.

Paving the road costs, no kidding, $1,000,000 per mile. One million! Sorry... but that's just not in the Dumont budget.

The problem we all share is, the EPA is targeting 'dust' problems and we have (had?) a big one at Dumont along the entrance road. The BLM tried several substances and methods but none seemed to be working. Using this product to lay a surface down was relatively inexpensive and paying for it didn't come from user fees.

The dust problem could have caused Dumont some serious capacity limit issues at the least, closures at the worst... so the washboard surface remains until someone can come up with $1,000,000 (per mile) to pave the darn thing. ;)

VickiW

is that all 1,000,000 per mile......j/k

how much for a bike lane?

VickiW

I think I'll settle for cruising real slow ;)

And it had helped the dust.

You ask where the 1 million a mile would come from, how about the impact fees that we are charged( we pay enough now), or even better lets take the fines that these LEO keep handing out and put it to some good use. Maybe if they would ticket the people that need it ie. the litter bugs and drunks that try to run you down in camp, it would get a point across and pave the road. Or what I think works the best, just let the road go pull up the port a pottys and pay station, and leave the area alone like it used to be. There is just way too much government in our sand dunes.

On another note there are other things they can do other than pave the road, chip seal is an option it works ok just look at the roads in Pahrump and it is a lot cheaper, just gravel a road grader and some tar is all you need. :laughoff: