Could this mark the end of Dumont entrance fees?

Armagosa has no toilets, no law enforcement (that I have ever seen) and no road service at all. Its free and is, I would guess 1/4 or 1/5 the size of Dumont. With ZERO maintenance, that place looks the same now as it did ten years ago. If you dial 911 (cell service is no problem) you will have EMTs or a chopper from VERY near by Pahrump in a relatively quick time.

If the toilets are so hard to maintain and expensive, do away with them. If the jerky boys cant appreciate what we are all paying for, then get rid of'm!! I personally would rather see the money put into more law enforcement and trash clean up. How about a dumpster ALL THE TIME not just on a clean-up weekend??

Spend some of the money on markers for the main "roads" and kick the idiots OFF that block the roads on big weekends. Thanksgiving was rediculous, people mark off 20 acres a piece and just camp where ever they want. They dont care if there is an obvious "road" between camps they just plop right down wherever they feel which causes lots of people to get stuck.

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

just a quick round number lets say on a big holiday weekend there is 10,000 motorhomes,trucks etc. paying 20 bucks to enter thats 200,000 just the one holiday weekend,and that is probally a low attendence not including all the other holiday and off weekends,vendor permits. And they say thats all they collected for 06-07 season was just under 4000,000? not including the misc. fines from rangers all season and if the rangers actually cracked down on speeding in the camps, dui, on and on that would greatly increase revenue and maybe a bit safer and maybe keep some of the a55hats out. im not bitchen about having to pay an entrance fee and the fee now seems fair for what services the blm provides. maybe instead of increasing taxes to generate more money they should manage their money better. but thats just my:2cents:

Edited by quad~dizzle

Tell me another sport/place that you can have access to 365 days a year for $120.00?

:lol:

Lake Mead?

Rangers...bathrooms...law enforcement....EMTs.....helicopters.....restaurants.....gas.....stores.....ect....

all for less than 1/2 of a Dumont season pass....

MMMMMUUUUHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH :laughing:

:dunno:

for those of you that think the BLM and the TRT scoff at input from the public

i am known for being a :lol: :xmas7: :blink::lol::lol: here

At the TRT meeting....i was in 5th gear, full throttle with the :lol::lol::lol::lol::blah::blah:

:laughing:

every time i had my hand up, i was called on to speak

every question i had was answered to MY satisfaction. if it wasn't i continued to ask until i received clarity.

the BLM & the TRT are VERY interested in public input...that is why they set the meeting up on Saturday

:rant_on: :dunno:

..........and for those of you that DIDNT show up for this last Saturday meeting, BUT HAVE the SACK to step in here and complain...there will be another Saturday meeting slated for the OFF SEASON

SO QUIT YOURE BITCHING AND GO TO THE MEETING

NO ATTEND = CANNOT b*tch

Armagosa has no toilets, no law enforcement (that I have ever seen) and no road service at all. Its free and is, I would guess 1/4 or 1/5 the size of Dumont. With ZERO maintenance, that place looks the same now as it did ten years ago.

Not true. The road going into Amargosa on the front side has now developed silt from all the duners. It wasn't this way 2 years ago....but it has developed last year and is only getting worse.

:lol:

Lake Mead?

Rangers...bathrooms...law enforcement....EMTs.....helicopters.....restaurants.....gas.....stores.....ect....

Oh wow, Lake Mead. woopitie dooooo. You forgot dead bodies, human waste, and record low water levels in that list of amentities. :laughing::dunno::lol:

for those of you that think the BLM and the TRT scoff at input from the public

i am known for being a :lol::lol::blah::blah::blah: here

At the TRT meeting....i was in 5th gear, full throttle with the :blah::blah::blah::blah::blah::blah:

I can confirm that! :lol::lol:

BLM, "Jason, is there anything else you wanted to add in closing?"

Jason, "ummmmmmm, nnnnno I don't think so. I think that's it."

BLM, "ok, then thank y.."

Jason, " :shout: well, actually yeah.....one more thing..."

everyone at the TRT meeting, " :clap::lol: :xmas7: :blink::lol: "

Oh BELIEVE ME, as a business owner, I REALLY feel I pay my fair share of taxes, (that IS a whole other arguement) but here is my concern about this bill.

Who is going to pick up what is needed for Dumont to be the Dumont we know and LOVE??

I'll pay what ever enterance fee (as long as its fair!) I need to, to keep what is a play spot for us.... course thats just my two cents.... or 6 figures in taxes :dunno::lol::laughing:

I agree.. Eliminating the fees creates its own set of problems.. Who is going to insure that we have adequet law enforcement as well as medical staff. What about maintenance on things like the outhouses..

Also, what kind of new crowds will come in if there is nobody there to regulate.. The fees help keep some of the trashy folks out. I bet without fees the number of quads, rhinos and rails getting stolen will rise due to the fact that the theives and misfits who have no money will flock to the dunes as it will be like a free for all..

The topic of the misfits at Glamis has long been a source of contention at Glamis. There have been many threads on the topic and one of the suggestions for eliminating some of that was to raise the rates. I cant say that I agree but there are some valid points to the argument. I would be happy to pay more if it makes the dunes safer and more secure.. At the rate of the dunes sports growth, our kids generation certainly wont have safe and secure dune sites unless somthing drastic changes and I dont think fee elimination is the answer, even though I do love saving money.. I will happily pay my fees as long as they are required..

Oh wow, Lake Mead. woopitie dooooo. You forgot dead bodies, human waste, and record low water levels in that list of amentities. :laughing: :xmas7: :blink:

I can confirm that! :blah::blah:

BLM, "Jason, is there anything else you wanted to add in closing?"

Jason, "ummmmmmm, nnnnno I don't think so. I think that's it."

BLM, "ok, then thank y.."

Jason, " :shout: well, actually yeah.....one more thing..."

everyone at the TRT meeting, " :blah::blah::lol::lol::lol: "

LMAO

:lol::lol::lol::blah::blah::blah::dunno::lol:

:blah:

You really need to attend a TRT meeting to get a better understanding of how things work.

1st off, the road was never supposed to be PAVED. The recycled pavement was only to control dust. It actually worked REALLY WELL. The recycled asphalt was actually cheaper than the type 2 gravel that they would have had to purchase anyways to do entrance road maintenance. Per Mike Trost (BLM maintenance) There are no plans to ever PAVE the road. It is a dirt road and nothing more than that.

2nd, the fees went up because the BLM lost a bunch of its funding (green sticker money and grants) for Dumont. So yes, things have changed. The public just doesn't see these things.

3rd, Here is the breakdown of how the fee money was spent last year. Click here. You can see for yourself just how expensive it is for medical staff, travel expenses for BLM, road maintenance, etc.

I understand your frustration, but you really need to have a better understanding of things and get more involved before you are so quick to complain about how the fees associated with Dumont work.

the road hasnt been finished

soon itll be like a road with concrete...eventually

im all for paying

its gotten us a bunch of stuff

bathrooms, the rangers and medics have new vehicles to ride around in, the road, and theres more to come.

with the growing crowd these fees keep the blm fighting environmentalists...the blm gets money if the dunes are open...if there are no more fees wuts the point in fighting for it?

the road hasnt been finished

soon itll be like a road with concrete...eventually

I understand the road isn't really "finished". They are still waiting for a second batch of recycled asphalt from the I40 project. The BLM is first in line to get their hands son it. Once it is put down, it will be oiled then rolled. It will be better, but I wouldn't go as far to say it will be like concrete. It will still need maintenance from time to time.

Ok just to do a little :dunno: of my own. What about Valley of Fire?? Its $5 and they give you personal camp sites, bathrooms, law enforcement and heck, they even CLEAN UP trash as well... :blink:

Good, quit complaining and go there instead! :lol: :xmas7:

Your comparing Valley of Fire to DUMONT? :laughing: Let me put it this way- you get what you pay for. :lol:

.......i heard nellis is a rockin place to go too

LITERALLY!! :whistle::D

I like Apex, it has a great mix of skill level and types of terrain. I hope it isnt ruined by the BLM when they develope it. All the drunk idiots with no helmets or gear riding around with their kids and girl friends on their qwads ruin much of the area, unfortunately. We go there whenever we cant make it to Dumont or Armagosa...

Good, quit complaining and go there instead! :nah::laughoff:

Your comparing Valley of Fire to DUMONT? :whistle: Let me put it this way- you get what you pay for. :watching:

It was a joke holmes, you cant off road in the "Valley". Im just trying to point out theres many places you can ride in the surrounding 150 miles that are either FREE or nearly free and have cleaner (less trash) riding areas with law enforcement and medical NEAR (granted not always on hand).

Even the places that you cant "ride" but can camp have all the same things but dont cost as much (not even close). I just would like to see actual PROOF that Dumont costs are so much higher...

It was a joke holmes, you cant off road in the "Valley". Im just trying to point out theres many places you can ride in the surrounding 150 miles that are either FREE or nearly free and have cleaner (less trash) riding areas with law enforcement and medical NEAR (granted not always on hand).

Even the places that you cant "ride" but can camp have all the same things but dont cost as much (not even close). I just would like to see actual PROOF that Dumont costs are so much higher...

Here's a start. Click

I'll find more info for you......please hold.

:whistle::watching::laughoff::nah::bawl:

....and here is where Vicki began asking the community for help due to the increase in fees.

Click

If you need more use the search....or go over the the ASA site and search there. Plenty of info is out there if you just LOOK for it.

Yeah ok ESE, I was joking too except for the part of stop complaining. It gets old hearing everyone b*tch about things like this. Everyone says, they don't need to go to a TRT meeting. OK, maybe you don't. But what are you doing instead that is more effective other than bitching about things that you don't like about Dumont on the damn internet. You mom and dad were there showing their support and being educated like the rest of us on how things work behind the scenes. What were you doing? Were you typing up another rant on a public forum to help the situation?

Not every place is the same. The expenses are different for each recreation area. You can't compare most places to Dumont.

I'm starting to think you don't like Dumont enough to deal with whatever change is needed to keep the place staffed and maintained.

Wow all that made my head hurt... :whistle: I look at it this way.. "if you wanna play you have to pay"

I can remember when you weren't charged to get into Dumont and you didnt have to purchase green stickers, bathrooms werent around every 500 feet... It wasn't that bad. People back then respected Dumont and kept it clean, these days people could care less and would rather pay to have someone else clean up the mess for them...

How about instead of everyone b*tching, do something about it...

Just my :watching:

How about instead of everyone b*tching, do something about it...

Just my :whistle:

Hey there's a thought. :laughoff:

But everybody isn't bitching about it and most of us DO do something about things we have a problem with at Dumont. I usually don't get that involved with responding to people bitching about stuff, but this time I felt it was necessary because the certain person bitching seems uneducated about the things they are bitching about and isn't making any valid points. :watching:

I have a whole new respect (yes, even more than I already had) for the FoDD and TRT members that always chime in to respond to posts like these. It gets REAL old trying to explain things over and over. Here's to you Terry and Vicki. :xmas4: :D