whips keep breaking...

redswr

it seems like every whip i buy ends up breaking... i have the standard mount that comes with the flags and i mount it in the middle above my rear fender. i'm not haveing problems with them breaking on crashes just when i get up to 65 or so they snap. whats the best whip that i can get?

I don't think it's the whip. It's the mount that matters. I have a custom mount at the left rear of my seat on my YZ. I never break them. :slap:

Does your mount flex at all allowing the whip to move back and forth more? Maybe trim down the whip just a tad too. That may help- there would be less leverage to break the whip.

Use a 10 dollar axle mount setup.. YOu already dont have a problem drilling into your plastics so drill a nother hold in your side panel big enough to stick a 12-18" ziptie thru and adjust the ziptie so that the whip doesnt go past the end of the rear fender or cant be bent to go under the fender...

Ever since i did this it has been a LONG LONG while since i have busted a whip on my 2 wheeler.. the last time i did was because i crashed on that side of the bike and it took it out.. other than that one time i have had no problem keeping a whip for quite a few weekends..

Use a 10 dollar axle mount setup.. YOu already dont have a problem drilling into your plastics so drill a nother hold in your side panel big enough to stick a 12-18" ziptie thru and adjust the ziptie so that the whip doesnt go past the end of the rear fender or cant be bent to go under the fender...

Ever since i did this it has been a LONG LONG while since i have busted a whip on my 2 wheeler.. the last time i did was because i crashed on that side of the bike and it took it out.. other than that one time i have had no problem keeping a whip for quite a few weekends..

Good point. I forgot about that method. Pauly Paul used to have his there too but broke them all the time because he'd lean the bike way down like a streetbike in the corners and the whip would snap. :lol: I guess you and I don't have that problem. :dunno::laughing:

Good point. I forgot about that method. Pauly Paul used to have his there too but broke them all the time because he'd lean the bike way down like a streetbike in the corners and the whip would snap. :blink: I guess you and I don't have that problem. :lol::dunno:

oh snap this you freak !! :xmas7: haha

yeah you must have to much movement on it , I never broke a flag on my drag bike, I don't see you breaking one [ from speed ! ] :laughing:

I guess you and I don't have that problem. :dunno::laughing:

Ya but i dont crash near as much as pauly paul either.. I ride within my limits not over my head anymore.. LOL when i ride over my head thats when i break things.. :D

Good point. I forgot about that method. Pauly Paul used to have his there too but broke them all the time because he'd lean the bike way down like a streetbike in the corners and the whip would snap. :xmas7: I guess you and I don't have that problem. :lol::dunno:

thats why i got a higher mount... the axle mounts didn't work at all for me. :laughing:

i think this is the best way on a dirt bike

Flickwhip with a Stiffy big bore flag and mount. I have not broken one since going to this set-up.

It bolts to the left rear seat mount and about 5 inches back thru the fender. Solid billet, and it keeps the flag off the swing arm!

Ive got about 100 Lambo whips if you need some Darrel :dunno: I heard they make your bike go faster.......Or your truck. Ask Dunefreak :lol::laughing:

Dude, no way in hell would I put one of those whips on a 2 wheeler! They make your bike way too fast! :lol: You would be one crazy mofo if you put one on. Let me tell ya. :blink: :xmas7:

Dude, no way in hell would I put one of those whips on a 2 wheeler! They make your bike way too fast! :lol: You would be one crazy mofo if you put one on. Let me tell ya. :lol::dunno:

:lol::lol: :xmas7: :blink: So true!!! I dont know if he is ready for that yet :laughing::lol:

I run the 5/16" stiffy in a billet quick release mount. It goes in pretty far into the mount. :thumb:

This is what I run too. Never broke one and it makes removing the flag so easy when loading the quads in the toyhauler. I bought the Stiffy flags and billet mounts at the Yamaha dealer on Boulder Hwy in Henderson. Money well spent IMO.

anyone ever rock a 1/4 in whip? my 5/16 in flexes WAAAAY too much, and I want to put a 2.5 ft x 4 ft flag on it

Just because your quad is the size of a rail doesn't mean you have to rock a full size flag!!! :rockon::thumb:

anyone ever rock a 1/4 in whip? my 5/16 in flexes WAAAAY too much, and I want to put a 2.5 ft x 4 ft flag on it

:coocoo: Do you understand that 5/16" is bigger than 1/4" ??? The 1/4" whips are the most common sized whips that most people run on their bikes.

I think you'd need a damn buggy whip to hold that big of a flag. Unless you don't ever build up enough speed cause you keep getting stuck on the razorbacks. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :thumb::beerpint::rockon:

hahaaaa

:bump: Do you understand that 5/16" is bigger than 1/4" ??? The 1/4" whips are the most common sized whips that most people run on their bikes.

JEEZUZ.......and im a farkin math teacher....DEEDEEDEEEEEEEEEEEE :laughing:

I think you'd need a damn buggy whip to hold that big of a flag. Unless you don't ever build up enough speed cause you keep getting stuck on the razorbacks. ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! :MBdance: :peek: :blury:

hahaaaa

hey, get it right, i was smoothing out a landing strip!!!!!!

yeah, thats what it was...a fuggin landing strip on top of a dune....i was, um...................just surveying the job i had done

:blink:

:coocoo::think:

how thick is a buggy whip? 3/8" 7/16", or 1/2"?

Edited by richard cheese

A buggy whip (8') is 1/2" at the mount.

I have ridden with friends from OR. at Oregon dunes. They all have Stainless steel whips on their quads. They are basically indestructable. There are trails there that put the whip to the test. I have broken 3 from the low hanging limbs etc. The stainless never bend or break! I would invest in stainless if I usually rode in those conditions or crash all the time!

A buggy whip (8') is 1/2" at the mount.

I have ridden with friends from OR. at Oregon dunes. They all have Stainless steel whips on their quads. They are basically indestructable. There are trails there that put the whip to the test. I have broken 3 from the low hanging limbs etc. The stainless never bend or break! I would invest in stainless if I usually rode in those conditions or crash all the time!

STAINLESS? Holy crap. Now that's some serious shiat! :coocoo::laughing:

Wow, I kinda like it- OVERKILL. :MBdance::blury: