People That Didn't Help Pick Up Trash

dunefreak

You know what pisses me off.....guys with Yamaha Dirtbikes that don't even show up to the clean-up! But still have the nerve to chime in! Those guys must be absolute non-caring jerk offs, ride and enjoy the dunes and let everyone else pick up after them! Those damn good for nothing Clark County Yamaha dirtbike riders! The other day I was drinking my morning coffee and this damn Yamaha roosted me and my motorhome! Then this other time I was driving my sandcar and this damn Yamaha cut me off and roosted me! Then I saw this Yamaha.......I hate guys that ride Blue Yamahas!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must have missed this one... Its ok.. I still forgive ya. Now quit bein a d*ck!

Free food, T-shirts, and other goodies while supplies lasted wasnt good enough... bah humbug to those schmucks that didnt help they dont know what they are doing adn shouldnt be duners..

I wouldnt even call myself a duner cuz i didnt even make it to help clean up dumont...

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Damm Skippy I don't knowhow I got in the middle of this one! You guys have to remember I am damm near 52 years old. I have had a lot of time to get lucky, be in the right job at the right time and have booted all my kids out. I love this sport and I like to be comfy while doing it. If the off road community does not get behind the organizations that are working to keep things open all of our expensive and not so expensive toys will all be worthless. So if you love the sport or just want to protect your investments from the greenies than keep the faith,join the organizations such as FoDD, Blue Ribbon Coalition etc. And by the way Travis your ranting all over the place. :D Don't you have something better to do? :shocked2:

why in the hell cant these brainless orange county posers with the 100k sandrails and 250k coaches

Ok after re-reading this- it was a kinda inaccurate stereotype. Not all these guys w/ that bling are like that. I'll give you that, Trav- but lets get back to the subject at hand here- the people that didn't pickup trash (whether they have 250K coaches and 100K sandrails or a Maaco dirtbike and a tarp for a tent).

Okay, so now that we're back on track with this topic ;) what can we do to get some of these non-involved types more involved?

Lost to be involved with, but let's focus on the example of the cleanup...

Friends of Dumont Dunes put up signs and banners, handed out flyers, and posted on message boards. And we got a heck of a turnout for our efforts. But still there were people either not aware or not interested.

Making people more aware is a relatively easy fix (radio spots, handing out flyers on preceding weekends).

But how do we make them interested?

Vicki

Okay, so now that we're back on track with this topic ;) what can we do to get some of these non-involved types more involved?

Lost to be involved with, but let's focus on the example of the cleanup...

Friends of Dumont Dunes put up signs and banners, handed out flyers, and posted on message boards. And we got a heck of a turnout for our efforts. But still there were people either not aware or not interested.

Making people more aware is a relatively easy fix (radio spots, handing out flyers on preceding weekends).

But how do we make them interested?

Vicki

I think a banner or sign at Dumont on weekends before the cleanup to inform people that it is coming up would help.

Good idea Pete, we could talk to Western Maint. about hanging a sign maybe just before pres. day. that is when the heaviest use is and maybe people would think twice about dropping that bottle in the sand.

I was thinkin Radio Ads which can be rough cuz they are costly... and lots of flyers... If you see someone w/ anything sand related on their truck drop a flyer on their windshield.. :D

Edited by Don29palms

No No No radio ads! There is already enough people that come out to Dumont! We don't need to get anymore people out there that don't go already! :shocked2: I think flyers at shops and places of similar interest would work as well as the sign at Dumont. You know ISBB & I will do whatever we can and get info up on DDR as we did this last cleanup trip. Let us know if there is anything else we can do here at DDR.

I know you guys are there for us that's for sure. I wish I had known that the DDR bunch gathered 161 bags of trash. I would have announced it and gotten some more hurrah's for you guys!! I do appreciate the support it makes all the work worth it. :shocked2: :laughing:

Edited by ISBB: Fixed your smileys :D

travis i didnt mean to piss you off sorry for that .

as for the cleanup thanks to ynot and all the companies that supported the effort i had no idea about the free lunch, t-shirts and all the cool prizes. when pete first told us about it i just wanted to pitch in to do our part.

Good idea Pete, we could talk to Western Maint. about hanging a sign maybe just before pres. day. that is when the heaviest use is and maybe people would think twice about dropping that bottle in the sand.

best idea yet :hug:

I think that if you are on this website-post ideas and read the ddr cleanup anouncements-show up to dumont-GET UP AND CLEANUP AND REPRESENT DDR!!!Hey I just woke up but all I have to say is if you like the website and your going to tell people that you are from here you should represent the DDR name in a good way because if you don't other people will not respect the other people on here that really do care.The dunes are kept open because of these people and they deserve all our respect.You wouldn't know how much these people make in their professional lives just by talking to them.The prejudices that have infiltrated the dunes have to go.Realize that lots of these people that have money are the leaders of these movements that keep the dunes open.Our efforts are useless without these good people willing to use their resources to keep the dunes open because they also too realize that if the dunes do close they will not be able to use them anymore.Just my .02 about the situation!

Very well said, rcjunky3. :finger:

I agree. People had to see the huge banners and SU truck and trailer! Not only that, but the huge crowd that gathered around it too....

c1642728.jpg

5a59c40e.jpg

Cool, I just noticed I made it in this picture...gray shirt, bald head standing with my wife in the pink.. I agree with getting the family up at 4am to get out there. My wife got off work at 4am and then we were off, kids in the PJ's and as soon as we showed up, it was trash pickn' time. I too saw a lot of people not helping out, however, I did see some camps pull out trash bags while we were walking around cleaning up and yeah, they started picking up as well. My 12 year old was moaning about last year's cleanup, but this year, he really stepped up and filled some bags up with trash. My 4 and 6 year old were out there with stick magnets going through fire pits getting nails and screws out of them. I was very proud of them for doing this and not a single "when are we going to ride" came out of their mouths. I have been riding all my life and duning for the last 10 years or so and I can say that it has seriously brought my family closer and I have met and enjoyed many trips with friends. This is beyond a sport, this is a lifestyle and as long as there are people out there like us who love the dunes and respect her, we will have many weekends enjoying it. I applaud everyone involved. :huh:

Money shouldn't be the drive for people to help keep their favorite place to ride trash free and more important: open!

There was a good turn out despite the amount of people that didn't help though. It was just something that bothered me so I figured I'd get it off my chest and post it up. :slap:

A HUGE thanks to the volunteers of Friends of Dumont Dunes and Suspensions Unlimited for making this the best annual cleanup ever!!! :laughing: And even a HUGE thanks to the BLM for their help this year...with the food... :laughing:

I hear you Pete, it amazes me why others don't understand what is at stake... I handed out flyers Friday afternoon about the cleanup at the pay area. Many people came in and had their $20.00's in hand to pay for a permit. I told them it was a BLM Free weekend due to the cleanup on Sat. Most said they would do it, how many did ??? The cleanup had more than 300 people as the t-shirts tickets ran out about 10am. :laughoff:

Maybe next year we can take shifts at the pay station to hand out flyers and get the word out??? Would anyone be willing to give up another hour of dune time :shocked:

It was also nice meeting you Pete... :dolphin:

I'm lucky enough to be able to take a very early retirement and plan to be involved in Dune user awareness as my main concern beyond my family.

Banners on my RV parked above the entrance,, talking to people at comp with a biz card, generally getting into circulation and perhaps open some eyes.

Their are people we meet that clean up other camp sites that have no clue of the ASA,, or DSD or this site,,, or of any of the CBD legal issues.

Just good people that care for the dunes. Even wealthy blue bloods wth high dollar rigs, get their kids and go clean up after other jerks.

We jump in and help.

See it often.

But lots of bad ones too, and that sux.

Edited by Dime Store Hood

that piss me off people cant pick up their own trash.

i am teaching my kids the same way my parents taught me when you get a camp sight even if there is already trash there it is now your trash and leave your camp sight cleaner then it was when you got there! :laughoff:

Edited by Don29palms

Thanks all who came and cleaned up.

Not only this day, but always! It seems no matter where you go- wind will carry trash..even when it could be your own.

So everyone always has to make it a point to pick up excess, if it comes across your path.

After the clean up I was cleaning up the S/U camp and area. Do you believe we had some smokers there for raffle prizes... who left cigarette butts everywhere. Not regular butts, ha ha... but I picked up 15 over by where we had the food area. I had trash bags and we had our S/U trash cans out. Don't get that one at all, at a cleanup but leave trash in the cleanup camp. Now not complaining, as I am a clean freak kinda anyhow and I pick up everything.. but just not cool.

Maybe they didn't realize it.. so this will be friendly reminder to smokers.. maybe put your butts in a can or cup.. then take them all to the trash? My little 3 year old digs in the sand in camp. Don't like her having to pick those up.

Thanks to all if they already do this. :)

Also, that food and tee shirts and prizes were not free for some ....hint,

but we gladly appreciate all of you wearing them, using them and taking part in keeping Dumont clean.

Thanks all for the participation.

Let's keep it up.

Cat~

S/U Cru

Edited by Glam_mom

Yeah the food was paid for by BLM with our fee demo funds. As for the t shirts,hats etc. They were all donated by a lot of great businesses who support Dumont Dunes. Please patronize them and let them know you saw their donation at the clean up! :angry: That includes the massive effort/expense that SU provided. They were our main t shirt sponser along with their business expense to get the truck(shade) and their people there! Cat did you sell any cars from that trip? Just curious.

Pictures are up on the www.suspensionsunlimited.net website NOW :)

Maybe you will see yourself somewhere? Take a look.

Thank you very much Terry (ynot) for your acknowledgement. Much appreciated.

Fridays demos were a bit slow due to the light crowd and set up time.

Sat. demos didn't start til after 3pm and only daylight for awhile. Since the cleanup was going on till after 2pm. Sunday was alright.. weather was a bit wet as well. Quite possible we will end up with 1- 3 cars sold generally down the road. One friend from high school was there took a ride, but was over in the little dunes.. didn't know of the clean up- he is a for sure done deal! :) Yahoo. Dumont family is always good to us.

What's good for us.. is we were open on Sat. in the store, in Ontario.

That was a busy weekend we heard. ;)

So if we can pay the bills ;) we can be involved as much as we are and be able to give back. My favorite is giving to the kids! Little future of our dunes.

So... how can we get the little dunes campers to come over and help?

Or should we have a sub station over there next time??

So... how can we get the little dunes campers to come over and help?

Or should we have a sub station over there next time??

Yeah, I think we will have several other registration areas next year. Like at the dumpsters and yes, the little dunes. We seemed to have quite a few people dropping off trash and getting raffle tickets but they hadn't made it over to the registration booth. The BLM did a great job of catching some people unawares out at the "hot spots" at Dumont, handing out bags and raffle tickets and sending them our way. :laughoff:

Cat, there was lots of chatter about the cleanup in the days immediately following, on lots of different boards... here's a couple posts from me on another board.

I forgot to mention a few statistics of my own...

We had 427 registered participants. Between the BLM handing out empty bags and raffle tickets and the passers-by at the dumpsters getting empty bags and raffle tickets, we figured another 100 non-registered participants... the BLM thinks closer to 150. Not too shabby at all, and next year we'll have registration sheets at the dumpsters and in the trucks.

We mowed through two boxes of bags, 500 each, plus another partial box of bags from someone else and still another partial box we brought "just in case" and we were down to our industrial-sized trash bags from our trailer by the end of the day! One dumpster was completely filled and the other was about 1/3 by Saturday evening.

We had 300 t-shirts printed for the event, started registering people at 8:00 a.m. and gave away our last t-shirt ticket before 10:00 a.m.!

Some big items were dislodged from the dunes too... a full-size barbecue, an old TV set, a DVD player, a truck hood, hubcaps, cabling, lots of chair frames, a huge hunk of carpeting (brought in by Brian Begin, son of Cathi and John at Suspensions Unlimited) and about a dozen "unusual" items for the contests.

WHAT A GREAT JOB EVERYONE DID!!!

And

One other thing... I want to say again, an enormous thank you to Suspensions Unlimited, a title sponsor of the event. They set up at the cleanup area so that we could use their awning for rain or shade and it saved the day for the raffle announcements that's for sure.

Suspensions Unlimited is such a class act, always supportive of the OHV community and they came through for Dumont in a great big beautiful way.

THANK YOU S/U!

We will list our other sponsors very soon, as soon as I can unpack the cleanup notes.

Next year will be even BETTER! :D

Vicki