2 People That Deserve A Big Thank You

dunefreak

Over the cleanup weekend as we were cleaning up and getting ready to take off a very respectable guy walked up to say hello to us and find out what DDR is all about. (He saw our banner) His name is Don. Him & his wife, Ellen live out at Dumont in the winter time. They are a retired couple out of Oregon who are volunteers for Dumont that help keep the bathrooms clean, pickup trash, help the BLM w/ emergencies, and educate duners of Dumont w/ a wealth of information about not only Dumont but the Mojave Desert as well. They can tell you about some real good trails in the area. :beercheers: I wish I had a chance to go over to their camp w/ duniemonkie but I had a bunch to load up before the bad weather rolled in late Sunday. They busted out the photo album and told her some very interesting stories. They would like everyone to stop by next time you are out at Dumont and say hi and see what they are all about. They have some interesting facts about the amount of visitors Dumont gets each season and how the funds are being used. Ask them about that! :laughoff: It is something that needs to be addressed and Dumont Dune Riders might be the ones who can get the ball rolling w/ what his plan is.

So please...next time you are out at Dumont stop by his camp and say hello and thanks. They put in alot of hard work for Dumont which needs to be recognized. (They are the camp near bathroom 10 with a big motorhome and orange fence around their camp.)

When I pulled into Dumont wednesday afternoon. I stopped in and chatted with them Pete. They are really nice people. He pointed out a few spots that "if you get it just rright" You will have cell service. well needless to say i COULDNT FIND THE " SWEET SPOT" story of my life. But yes they are both neat people and Thank you for recognising them Pete. Its cool when the PRESIDENT of DUMONT DUNE RIDERS recognises you!!! :icon_twisted:

Earlier you mentioned a plan, What might that plan be?

I am not sure either of what the "plan" is? If you mean the plan for the fee demo money that's what the TRT(Techincal Review Team) and as the Nevada OHV appointee to that team I am listening to anybody who has any ideas on how to improve the dune experience at Dumont. One thing that I hope we never see is dumpsters, they are expensive and have been shown to not cause a decline in trash left behind. They attract mice, ravens and where their are mice there are snakes. It is so expensive that if you wanted dumpsters at the dunes you would have to be prepared to have a LARGE increase in the annual fee. like 10 fold! I am listening to what you guys want and can offer. In fact i just got back from the first meeting in Barstow today. My next meeting is in May.

I am not sure either of what the "plan" is? If you mean the plan for the fee demo money that's what the TRT(Techincal Review Team) and as the Nevada OHV appointee to that team I am listening to anybody who has any ideas on how to improve the dune experience at Dumont. One thing that I hope we never see is dumpsters, they are expensive and have been shown to not cause a decline in trash left behind. They attract mice, ravens and where their are mice there are snakes. It is so expensive that if you wanted dumpsters at the dunes you would have to be prepared to have a LARGE increase in the annual fee. like 10 fold! I am listening to what you guys want and can offer. In fact i just got back from the first meeting in Barstow today. My next meeting is in May.

How bout dumpsters at the enty road right next to the highway? Of course you would have to make an area for the trailers/Motorhomes to pull over, but out there it would be easier for the trash trucks to drop off and pick up. What do you think Terry? :huh:

How bout dumpsters at the enty road right next to the highway? Of course you would have to make an area for the trailers/Motorhomes to pull over, but out there it would be easier for the trash trucks to drop off and pick up. What do you think Terry? :huh:

If you think about it why do we need to support people who can't care enough to take their garbage to their homes for pick up? Traffic congestion would be horrible at the entrance with people blocking the road to drop off one or two bags of trash at the dumpster. Your still talking a lot of $ to haul the trash to Pahrump, pay the disposal fee etc. What are we talking a couple of bags of trash per rig per weekend? Why is it that they can't just carry it out?

The way they calculate the needed trash bins at a residental complex, IE apartments etc. is 1/2 yard of trash per family per week. There were 8000 units(vehicles) at Dumont Pres. day that's roughly 4000 cubic yards of trash or 100x40 cubic yard dumpsters that would be needed at a cost of let's say $100.00 per dumpster to remove it(and that would be cheap) math would be easy 100x100=$10,000.00 per holiday etc. That would add up fast. On top of that the open dumpsters would be a invitation for dumpster divers looking for recyclable items,and rodents,snakes,ravens etc. Also the wind blowing across the dumpster would move any loose trash back out onto the dune area. I think education is the key here. "if you want to play take your trash away".

Also if you look at the total overall clean up we filled about 1&1/2 40 yard dumpsters. That's after 1 full year of use and wind storms. I am not saying it was good but for all the use and all the bottles,cans etc that are taken out there to only have less than 80 yards of trash isn't bad. It's a good place to start the education process in m y opinion. Sorry to go so long!

If you think about it why do we need to support people who can't care enough to take their garbage to their homes for pick up? Traffic congestion would be horrible at the entrance with people blocking the road to drop off one or two bags of trash at the dumpster. Your still talking a lot of $ to haul the trash to Pahrump, pay the disposal fee etc. What are we talking a couple of bags of trash per rig per weekend? Why is it that they can't just carry it out?

The way they calculate the needed trash bins at a residental complex, IE apartments etc. is 1/2 yard of trash per family per week. There were 8000 units(vehicles) at Dumont Pres. day that's roughly 4000 cubic yards of trash or 100x40 cubic yard dumpsters that would be needed at a cost of let's say $100.00 per dumpster to remove it(and that would be cheap) math would be easy 100x100=$10,000.00 per holiday etc. That would add up fast. On top of that the open dumpsters would be a invitation for dumpster divers looking for recyclable items,and rodents,snakes,ravens etc. Also the wind blowing across the dumpster would move any loose trash back out onto the dune area. I think education is the key here. "if you want to play take your trash away".

Also if you look at the total overall clean up we filled about 1&1/2 40 yard dumpsters. That's after 1 full year of use and wind storms. I am not saying it was good but for all the use and all the bottles,cans etc that are taken out there to only have less than 80 yards of trash isn't bad. It's a good place to start the education process in m y opinion. Sorry to go so long!

Good point. I agree that people should pack out what they pack in. I would hate for our fees to go up just because some people are too lazy to take their trash home with them.

I bring a fullsize garbage can with me EVERYTIME I go out and I bring all my trash home and put it in my can for pickup. The plan I was talking about was the paln that was mentioned in Dunefreaks first post in this thread.

I bring a fullsize garbage can with me EVERYTIME I go out and I bring all my trash home and put it in my can for pickup. The plan I was talking about was the paln that was mentioned in Dunefreaks first post in this thread.

I was hoping that Dunefreak would clarify the "plan" Maybe he knows what they were referring to?

I was hoping that Dunefreak would clarify the "plan" Maybe he knows what they were referring to?

I didn't really get the details other than he wants to get the his information (about the amount of visitors and the amount of $$ taken in and where it goes) to a big group or organization that can do something about the whole deal. Like I said, I didn't speak very long w/ him as I had stuff to get packed up when I was trying to leave. Duniemonkie might be able to explain more beacuse she talked a little bit more about it w/ him than I did. This is also why I said for eveyone to stop by and talk to him and get the whole story from him and his wife first hand.

It would be interesting to see how and where the money is spent. I know there is a big thing going right now about the commitee that was appointed to overlook all expeditures of funds for OHV projects in California. From what I understand there seems to be a pretty good scandal going. It seems that this commitee is made up of a bunch of tree hugging eco-terrorist that are spending an extreme amount of these funds buying up land for conservation instead of for OHV use. In essence what this means is the OHV program owns land that has NEVER and will NEVER have any OHV use what so ever. Also a very little pecentage of these funds have been spent on improving or aquiring OHV properties. This has been brought to the attention of some top officials in Washington D.C. and there is an investigation going on right now to hopefully correct this problem. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Edited by Don29palms

Just so that you know the group that oversees(makes recommendations) to the Blm had their first meeting Tuesday. There are 11 members ranging from OHV interest to Movie and film users representives and 3 members of the Ca. Desert Advisory Board(DAC). Our job/task is to advise the BLM on how to spend the fee demo funds. To try to educate the dune users in the how and why things are done the way they are done. The funds from the sticker account appear to have been misused but as you said they are being investigated and there is a chance that we might see some of those funds head towards Dumont this year. That being said we are putting this group together, installing a charter, have elected a Chairman,Co Chair and a sect. All of our meetings are open and the minutes are available to the public.

We are looking at the budget for the dune area and the use of the funds and any that may be leftover to use for improvements. Funds are available right now to make the concrete bridge a 2 lane and the work will start on it as soon as the river dries up some more this spring/summer. We are looking at road improvements etc. Your input is appreciated and my job is to be there for you as the Nevada OHV representive.

• 2 weeks later...