what are we paying for

first off i appologize, i did do very little searching on this and for that im sorry.

second i dont mind paying the fees at all. i have been going there for years and honestly it was the roughest it has been in a very long time. so that was my issue. Im happy to pay for the extra services we are granted out there the road was just really sh*tty and the gratter was there that weekend so that was my biggest complaint.

sorry for the greif guys just was unhappy bout the condition of the road.

Maintenance (Road Work/ Assistance on Holidays) $34,342.88 For all the hard work they do just sitting there in the tractor half the time. :driver::headbang1:

Like you I don't mind fees or higher fees. Just don't say it goes to places that it does not really go.

Edited by YamaKiller

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well here goes my :headbang1: but it seems to me that the root of the issue is that alot of people feel like we are being double taxed and not seeing awhole lot of results from our fees. After all $34,000+ for road maintenance :driver: come on. For many of us who have been going to Dumont for several years (me personally 20 years now) the road is absolutely horrible for $34,000 worth of tractor work compared to what it has been in the past. Yes I remember the days of needing 4wd to get into the dunes, but I knew that I wasn't paying to drive down an unmaintained road so I didn't expect anything. I do agree that medical /police services are needed, but they only provide those services on major weekends and isn't that what we already pay taxes for anyways? Ok so call it extraordinary services, then charge per weekend that they are out there, not for the whole year. If I choose to go on off weekends when crowds are low why am I paying for police and medical personel that are going to respond from baker anyways ?

Man you guys will just keep going won't you? :DDRrocks:

:headbang1:

Maintenance (Road Work/ Assistance on Holidays) $34,342.88 For all the hard work they do just sitting there in the tractor half the time. :DDRrocks::driver:

Like you I don't mind fees or higher fees. Just don't say it goes to places that it does not really go.

That money spent wasn't just for a guy to sit in or run a tractor. It is for things like the cost of the type 2 gravel and transportation of it to a desolate area in the desert.

There were a few others things explained at the TRT meeting and the details of how the money was spent was gone over in detail by Lynnette. If you or anyone else had an issue with it, they had a time at the meeting for the public to speak up. By the way, the meeting was on a SATURDAY for those that can't make it on the Tuesday meetings.

And to DP315, how can you say the road is "absolutely horrible"? In my opinion, as of New Years weekend it was the best it has ever been. :clap:

Here's a pic from 12-23-07

post-3-1200324660_thumb.jpg

As far as the road goes we are lucky to have a road going in thats at least cared for. Ive been to several other popular camping spots and its brutal coming in and going out.

As far as the fee increase goes I have chosen not to paticipate in the major holidays because of the fee increase and from the pictures i have seen from new years pics it looks like like i am not the only one who feels this way. Off weekends are more fun anyway!!! As far as i know glamis didnt raise their fee's maybe i'll have to check out those dunes.

As far as i know glamis didnt raise their fee's maybe i'll have to check out those dunes.

No Glamis did not raise their fees. Glamis also did not get a funding cut either like Dumont did.

maybe we should find out for Terry when the next Saturday TRT meeting will be....and fire up the corporate bus...have paulypaul drive (you should get there in like 30 min) and give all these road-haters a forum to spew their road hate

:beercheers:

I believe the next TRT meeting is like Feb 5th or 12th. I'll see if I can find out for sure.

No Glamis did not raise their fees. Glamis also did not get a funding cut either like Dumont did.

I believe the next TRT meeting is like Feb 5th or 12th. I'll see if I can find out for sure.

i think they said the next SATURDAY meeting was going to be after the season was over.... maybe between april and june?

Man you guys will just keep going won't you? :flipoff:

That money spent wasn't just for a guy to sit in or run a tractor. It is for things like the cost of the type 2 gravel and transportation of it to a desolate area in the desert.

contract for ground asphalt base material $98,000.00 (road maintenance)

All I am saying is what I have always said. Raise the fees if they want, I don't care. I'll pay whatever, it's not the money. It what they say they use it for or don't use it for. Spend all that money on a road that once in awhile is smooth and most of the time its not. Pretty much a waste. Nature is gonna do what it wants to the road. We should just leave it alone and use our money elsewhere.

Spend more money to pay for more cops and rangers on holiday weekends so they can give a lot of silly tickets and collect money. Do you think that ticket money goes back to dumont? So we (Dumont) spend more money so they (CA) can collect more money and spend it other places. Makes Total sense to me. :wedgie: :laughoff::dope: is what it is.

I'm done ranting for at least a couple months now. Thanks .. :drunk::laughoff: Off to the dunes

contract for ground asphalt base material $98,000.00 (road maintenance)

Thats different from the material that they had to purchase prior to the recycled asphalt.

The contract for ground asphalt base material was for the very large and growing concern of dust control and it did just that. It wasn't for road maintenance.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but would you please enlighten me as to what the growing concern with dust is ? Not to be sarcastic, but doesn't dust go without saying when you choose to drive 30 miles from the nearest town to camp in the middle of the desert ?

Thats different from the material that they had to purchase prior to the recycled asphalt.

The contract for ground asphalt base material was for the very large and growing concern of dust control and it did just that. It wasn't for road maintenance.

Exactly.

This was not done to improve the road.

This was done in a proactive move against a growing problem, one that has and will continue to shut down other open riding areas.

One other thing that seems to be missed... the hike in fees was not for any improvements. The fees we pay are only enough to cover the basics that are already in place, primarily emergency services, bathrooms, law enforcement.

Vicki

One other thing that seems to be missed... the hike in fees was not for any improvements. The fees we pay are only enough to cover the basics that are already in place, primarily emergency services, bathrooms, law enforcement.

Vicki

Thanks for backing me on that, Vicki. Many don't understand that and that is why I recently added just that on our Info page. http://www.dumontduneriders.com/passes.html#increase

Is there somebody in particular that dust out there effects ?

The groups that try to shut down Dumont (like the CBD) look at dust as an environmental issue. Ask them. I can't explain why. You just have to go with it and do the things necessary to keep them off our back and fight back in a proactive way like Vicki said.

Maybe I missed it somewhere, but would you please enlighten me as to what the growing concern with dust is ? Not to be sarcastic, but doesn't dust go without saying when you choose to drive 30 miles from the nearest town to camp in the middle of the desert ?

It's not a duning community problem. That is to say, no one from the duning community has complained about dust.

The environmental protection agency is being asked to do something about the amount of dust that is being kicked up by off-road vehicles (and building construction).

It has become yet another tool used by the anti-access zealots in their obsession to shut down open riding areas.

And it's an effective tool. Many counties have been sued along with the EPA over the issue of dust. I haven't checked on the outcome yet, but about 4 years ago Ocotillo Wells was involved in one... with one proposed solution being (you'll love this) to pave the trails to reduce the dust.

Make no mistake. This is a tool that has been used and will continue to be used and I am pleased as heck that it didn't get to the point of closure to make the BLM take action at Dumont.

Vicki

[edited for clarification]

Edited by SailAway

Fair enough, that is what I was looking for. I just wanted an objective answer. I understand that there things beyond our control and we unfortunately have to sometimes do things that we do not agree with to preserve other things that we enjoy.

here in the san joaquin valley....home to the biggest ag development in the world...the effen epa makes the farmers WATER down their dirt roads to control the dust

unbelieveable

I believe thats to help stop "Valley Fever" an ailment in that area from dust collecting in the lungs causing breathing problems. I've heard that from several older people that left the area on doctors orders. :beercheers:

I believe thats to help stop "Valley Fever" an ailment in that area from dust collecting in the lungs causing breathing problems. I've heard that from several older people that left the area on doctors orders. :beercheers:

the law is THROUGHOUT the state of CA, just not limited to the southern san joaquin counties.

i had valley fever when i was 22. knocked the shiat outta me for 3 days......all i could do was sleep, go to the bathroom, and go back to sleep......

the law is THROUGHOUT the state of CA, just not limited to the southern san joaquin counties.

i had valley fever when i was 22. knocked the shiat outta me for 3 days......all i could do was sleep, go to the bathroom, and go back to sleep......

That's what happens to me after a good night of drinkin'. :stick_smack:

Sorry :beercheers:

All I have to say is, if you don't like the fee's, stop going, or stop complaining!