"Bad Venom" spy pics

spooner

DDR exclusive!!! :dunno: : the first spyshots of Deons "Bad Venom" Sand Viper :ninja:

normal_DSCF8758.jpg

normal_DSCF9093.JPG

normal_DSCF9103.JPG

normal_DSCF9107.JPG

after over a year of planing :idea: ... and spending many hundred hours on AutoCAD i finaly started cutting the first pieces :freakin_nuts:

Bad Venoms new "frame" design is very revolutionary; there is actually no traditional steel tube frame. the front and rear subframes are mounted to a all aluminum "monocoque" chassis tub and can be removed for easy engine/rearend access.

there are no decorative body panels; all the body sheet metal will be a integral and structural stressed part of the car.

the monocoque tub will be made of large heat treated 6061-T6 aluminum extrusions wrapped with "stressed skin" aluminum sheet metal parts. there will be no welding (it drastically reduces the strength of heat treated aluminum) all parts are fastened with aerospace "huckbolts" (a high tech pneudraulic fastened structural rivet) and bonded with 3M "scotchweld" 2-part epoxy aluminum adhesive.

i will post more pics and info as i progress with this unusual construction ;)

My bro-in-law works on the center fuselage assembly of the 747.......sounds like you are using similar construction techniques.

Should be interesting.

Gerald

yes, it will be very similar to a fuselage. however , airplanes use lighter and stronger aluminum alloys; the stressed outside skin used to be 2024-T3 Alclad (IIRC it got replaced in the `90 by a different alloy that offers better long-term resistance to stress failure....im sure your bro-in-law knows what alloy name that is ;) )

Alclad can be used in very thin sheets and is extremely strong but does have a poor corrosion resistance. i mainly use the more popular alloys like 6061-T6 sheets for non-bended parts and 5052-H32 for all the bended parts in a thicker gage to compensate for the lower tensile strength.

very nice... what would happen if i spilled some mercury on the frame ... say at comp :thumb: J/K

how heavy will it be.. total with engine and all? Good idea though.. gl with the build

Capt

i dont know yet how much lighter it will be. i keep track of the weight of all the pieces as i build them.

i think the key of building with aluminum is to spread the "load" over a larger area (when compared with steel), many high stress areas (like the mounting points of the rollcage and the sub-frames) will be very beefy.

however, there are areas that will be a lot lighter; the sheet metal pieces actually replace the (heavy) cross-bracing of a steel frame construction.

that is also what you see in the pic`s; i only made the bracing plates for now (the center tunnel is the "backbone " of the car; everything is made of 1/8" sheet)...the thick aluminum extrusions (a mix of C- I- and L- channel shapes) that hold everything together are not there yet.

here are some more progress pic`s;

normal_DSCF9161.JPG

normal_DSCF9167.JPG

normal_DSCF9159.JPG

braking new ground is very demanding (i dont sleep all that well lately :laughoff: ... there are so many details that go around in my head all night :barf: :smoker: :driver: )

nice!!

although, i think joiner already named one of their POS chinese mini rails sand vipers :driver:

oh ow...that is bad :wub: i guess i stick with "Bad Venom" then :smoker:

btw; did you see the pics on Glamis.com of the welds :laughoff: ....oh my god....i usually dont comment on the work of others but that is a frigging "deathtrap" :barf::thumb:

oh ow...that is bad :beat: i guess i stick with "Bad Venom" then :north_pole:

btw; did you see the pics on Glamis.com of the welds :laughing: ....oh my god....i usually dont comment on the work of others but that is a frigging "deathtrap" :lol::whoop:

yeah....farkin garbage man....i dont see how joyner stays in bidness either...with all the problems the people i know are having with joyner products, it wonder ANY of their ish sells :DDRrocks:

here is a link to an ebay auction of a pos sand viper

hahahahahahahahahahaha POS

Edited by richard cheese

People ; please recycle your beer cans :beer_bang:

i need more aluminum :drinkbeer::laughing:

here are some progress pics;

normal_DSCF9173.JPG

more bulkheads....

normal_DSCF9175.JPG

the nice thing on this construction style is that things like the fan and radiator dont need tabs...everything bolts right up to the bulkheads

normal_DSCF9179.JPG

normal_DSCF9193.JPG

VERY NICE what type of drive train?. Also have you heard of the hydraulic steering now being used in trophy trucks its new technology but really works great. Once again you are building an INCREDIBLE CAR.

sandassassin

thanks for the compliment :blink:

hmmmm.... sounds interesting . i never looked into hydraulic steering . my concern would be that i think there is not much "feedback" that lets you "feel" how the front tires are reacting ? :booty:

the late model 505 cid Viper engine will be left fairly stock (she is out of a wrecked `07 SRT-10 truck with only 700 miles). we will reuse the stock transmission (its a very stout 48RE 4-speed; the same as in the diesel trucks) but modify it to "manual shift" (so that it shift quicker and also so that it "holds" gears for downshifting/ engine braking) and add a "slap-stick" (sequencial ratchet shifter)

the rearend will be our standard Speedway Engineering Quick Change . there are no plans for crazy engine modifications so we dont need to go with the stronger (but more expensive) rearend as in Ryans "V-Rex". the rest is just the usual 935 CVs and 300M axles feeding into GN full floater hubs.

nothing too fancy but it will be very reliable :blink:

hmmmm.... sounds interesting . i never looked into hydraulic steering . my concern would be that i think there is not much "feedback" that lets you "feel" how the front tires are reacting ? :mischevious:

there is no feed back at all with the hydraulic steering... i don't like the way it feels at all.

ever drive a forklift at 100mph.. kinda what it feels like... lol

With hydro steering you dont get ANY feedback thru the orbital.. it just push's and goes.. At least with regular powersteering you get quite a bit of feed back sicne the load is getting transmitted thru the tierod adn rack and not thru a huge a$$ hydraulic piston.

ever drive a forklift at 100mph.. kinda what it feels like... lol

With hydro steering you dont get ANY feedback thru the orbital.. it just push's and goes.. At least with regular powersteering you get quite a bit of feed back sicne the load is getting transmitted thru the tierod adn rack and not thru a huge a$$ hydraulic piston.

exactly ;) thats also why i dont like the charlyn (sp?) forklift torque assist . IMHO a circle track power rack and pinion like a Sweet or a Appleton is still the best for sensitivity and feedback.

here are some venomous upgrade pics :DDRrocks: ;

normal_DSCF9300.JPG

the brass colored cylinders are "Clecos" ; they are a "temporary Rivet" to hold and align the parts during the buildup

normal_DSCF9295.JPG

here is one of the 10 bolt-on points for the rearend sub-frame. a 1/8" steel plate that will be sandwiched in between and bonded to the aluminum.

normal_DSCF9296.JPG

normal_DSCF9267.JPG

the key to working with aluminum is to "spread" the load over a large area/multible parts and fasteners . the strength of this structure is in the "sum of all parts" ; each sheet by itself would be weak but boxed together they triangulate each other.

the most important thing is the bonding and the fasteners;

the vibration resistant 3/16" aircraft "Lockbolt" rivets i use have a very high installed nominal grip value of 1750lbs shear, 1650lbs tensile and 1025lbs clamp each....and there will be a lot of them :assblast: .

the 3M "scotchweld" aluminum bonding adhesive adds another 3500psi to each connection.

the final strength of this "cold welded" connection will be a lot higher then it would be with regular welding. the heat of welding would significant weaken the T6 tempered aluminum. hot welding aluminum would also lead to bowing and waves in the sheets.

• 3 months later...

Those cars usually take 2-3 years to complete, but are usually worth it. Let see some pics of the progress !!!!!

It usually takes 2 years to get it close, then the customer has to complete it. :dunno:

I'd be willing to bet that not much progress has been made since they posted last. With the V8 Rail boys, no news usually means no progress.