Lazer Star Lights

SandBox_Kid

After the last night ride at Dumont.....I was like a :grin: with the current lighting setup that I have. I am shopping around and looking at the 50w lazer stars......but have a couple of questions.

Should I get the spots or floods....or both? How much juice will they suck up.

Don't bother with the Laser Stars. Get some HIDs. Dunefreak has some decent ones on his car that aren't very expensive but they put out alot of light. Ask him what he has. If you're night riding HIDs are the only way to fly and they only use 35 watts.

Edited by Don29palms

Hey Gerald,

I can't remember your current lights or if you have 2 or 4.

Are you sure it was the light causing you vision issues? :grin:

Just sayin'

I've got 4 laserstars on mine, not sure if they are 75w or 100w.

All are spots, I know that.

I had two big KC lights on my High Jumper.

Definatly like the 4 laserstars better.

I think you could run 4 75w on a good alternator no prod.

I never run the headlights when the motor isn't running.

I seem to have no prob seeing with mine.

However some of these guys with the HIDs light up the whole valley for us guys anyway.

I don't know much about HIDs but it sounds like Don and Pete have them and know where to get em.

Check it out.

R-

Edited by Randog

Don't bother with the Laser Stars. Get some HIDs. Dunefreak has some decent ones on his car that aren't very expensive but they put out alot of light. Ask him what he has. If you're night riding HIDs are the only way to fly and they only use 35 watts.

Yes...I'd like to look at all the options......and money is an object here. I'll wait to see what DuneFreak has to say..........

I can't remember your current lights or if you have 2 or 4.

Are you sure it was the light causing you vision issues? :dunno:

Just sayin'

I currently have 2, but they suck! As far as the vision issues, I have to eliminate all of my excuses first!! :grin:

I think you could run 4 75w on a good alternator no prod.

I'm reading that a total of 100w on a VW alternator is all that is recommended....I also heard that the 100w ones blow bulbs too much because of the heat. If I do go with the lazer stars, I'm thinking 4 50w units should work..... :woo_hoo: ...but of course I'm a newbie at most of this, so I am always open to critique...thanks for the input.

I have the Eagle Eye HID's and love em. They are more of a driving light than a spot or flood. I got them at the SSSS last year for like $385. I can see if I can dig up the guys card for the number if you want it. :grin:

Good thing you are reading up on the VW alternator. that may be a prob for Laser. May be a few extra bucks for the HIDs is the ticket if they use so little juice. I've never driven with HIDs. But it makes sense to have driving lights.

As far as Lasers, I don't know about the bulbs burning up, My bulbs never have. But a year and a half ago Laserstars wires (white wires) were burning up from the heat of the higher wattage bulbs. I called them and they sent me new recepticals (black wires). Haven't had any prob since.

If you go with these you may want to be sure the wires are the good ones. They do stand behind their product anyway.

R-

Edited by Randog

They dont draw 35 watts thats just what the bulb is.

They draw about 15-20 amps for a brief second when they first fire up,then drop to about 5 amps.

So as long as you dont turn them all on at the same second your fine.But even if you did it is so BRIEF that it probably wouldnt be a problem.

I ran four lazer star on my old car (100 w) 2 spots and 2 floods and there never seamed to be enough light! My new car runs four lazer stars on the nose of the car for in camp driveing but i also have a light bar that has four baja concept 8" HIDs and its like day time. The lazer stars use like 10 amps EACH and an HID light only uses 10 to 12 amps to start up and then only draws 3-5 amps depending on the light!!! On my wifes manx she has 2 8" procomp lights and they are brighter the the four lazer star i had on my old car!! Good luck with your choice :monkeedance2:

I had just a TINNNNNNNNNNNNNY bit of poo in my britches after the first couple witch's eyes.. ( or bathtubs as berrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrt calls em )

I was wondering what that stain was on the passenger seat!!!! :thumb:

It wasn't that bad.....and we only hit two of them before we high centered!! :laughing::laughing:

We must have looked hilarious out there!!

Surgeon General: Driving sandcars at night can be hazardous to your health!!!! :thumb:

Driving sandcars at night can cause broken frames and scarrrrrrrrrrrrred passengers!!!!!!

Driving sandcars at night can cause broken frames and scarrrrrrrrrrrrred passengers!!!!!!

Tell me about it....I think I have scarred ISBB a little and I have a welder coming over Wed. to fix a crack in my frame!! :thumb:

Randog set me straight on stiffening up the older style SandSprite IV frame....it has a few flaws in cross bracing that I'm going to put in place after this season....probably have 2 more events then I'm breaking it down.

Edited by cmyfirepole

Hell, I just use a flashlight for cruisin' around.

I was lookin' at a couple of LED flashlights for just that purpose..... :laughing:

I would like to see better even if I am cruisin.....currently I have 2 6in Halogens.....I think I could do better for cruisin'....and night time isn't the best time for hard duning......

Not so. Nite time can be a great time for dunning. After running hard during the day you get a feel for the lay out of the sand and trouble spots. Plus at nite their seems to be less traffic. On my last car I had 2 Hella spot hid's and 4 kc floods. Not bad but I would have liked more.

Tell me about it....I think I have scarred ISBB a little and I have a welder coming over Wed. to fix a crack in my frame!! :laughing:

Randog set me straight on stiffening up the older style SandSprite IV frame....it has a few flaws in cross bracing that I'm going to put in place after this season....probably have 2 more events then I'm breaking it down.

So you bent the gas pedal and cracked the frame... OK so it wasnt just a 2nd gear cruise ride.. LOL thought i was crappin my britches over a mild ride or something.. :laugoff: