running first tank of biodiesel

Unleaded Diesel LRP Super LPG see the cheapest stations

The Highest price in this area: 112.9p 118.9p n/a 116.9p n/a

The Average price in this area: 110.1p 117.4p n/a 114.9p n/a

The Lowest price in this area: 108.9p 116.9p n/a 112.9p

Heres the current pices back home, figure the conversion factor is rougly 1 pound to 2 dollars and 1 liter is .264 gallons.

Works out to about $8.95 a gal, you guys should be lauging at the pump.

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

new Duramax engine: about 8-9K

labor to put it in: about $3,000

There have been two instances where customers have had to pay for their own engine because GM would not warranty theirs due to aftermarket programmers (not bio fuel) causing engine damage. They have come to about 11-12K for the completed job. yikes.

Wow, I thought a D-max engine would be only a few bucks.....Just go to a junk yard and pull one out of a a smashed Isuzu box truck....budget has tons of totalled out ones...... :coffee::dunno:

yikes.....my I love my old mechanically injected cummins. Bio is fine for it, as I hear most meachanically injected motors. Its the newer "quiet" greener engines that have issues.

Well if you just run the recommended diesel fuel in the newer "quiet" greener engines they don't have any issues. I haven't had any issues with my DMax, it pulls a very heavy load up the hills faster than I should even being towing that chit and drives great. What more could I ask for? I wouldn't dare mess with the chance of ruining its reliablilty or performnce just to be able to run some friggen french fry oil. :blink::dunno:

Its when people start doing chit that the factory doesn't recommend is when they have issues. There actually is some reason behind what the factory tells you what is good and bad for their vehicles. :laughing:

If you want to save money and get good milage buy a VW diesel and run it on the cheapest veggie oil you can find.

I dont get why people would spend 40,50 or sh*t even 60+ K on a high tech electronic diesel truck and then get cheap on the fuel, at $4 a gallon its still dirt cheap at the pump and not worth the hassle and possible damage to save 50c a gal. Think about the peeps back in england spending $9 +.

exactly :clap:

Wow, I thought a D-max engine would be only a few bucks.....Just go to a junk yard and pull one out of a a smashed Isuzu box truck....budget has tons of totalled out ones...... :flipoff::flipoff:

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha :lol: ....NOT! :flipoff: Oh well you tried. :loser::laughoff:

Those engines won't plug right in and work in a Silverado. Just because you drive a truck doesn't mean you know chit about them. ohhh! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::beercheers: :jester2: :lol:

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha :dunno: ....NOT! :flipoff: Oh well you tried. :flipoff::laughing:

Those engines won't plug right in and work in a Silverado. Just because you drive a truck doesn't mean you know chit about them. ohhh! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::beercheers: :jester2: :loser:

:laughoff: Interesting thread. :flipoff:

I agree, very interesting thread. Seems like the biodiesel stuff is just in the infant stages as far as really getting it fine tuned, but maybe when they get the technology down it may be a feasible option. But in reading the posts, it seems like minimal savings.

So Let me understand this. The Greenies, Pippies, Tree Huggers want everyone to fun B20 because it it GOOD for the enviorment. So you try to do the right thing. Then...

You burn your truck up

have to pay for a new motor $$$$$

Put the original type motor back in it from the Corp. A$$hat Money Grappers cause they won't warrenty it or

buy one of their newer better trucks $$$$$$ from the Corp. D*cks

They get richer you get poorer.

Start running the right fuel in it that is bad for the enviorment and costs to much $ even tho it is cheaper to make.

Piss the Greenies, Pippies, Trees Huggers off again, so now what.

Looks to me like only one group of people win here.

Well if you just run the recommended diesel fuel in the newer "quiet" greener engines they don't have any issues. I haven't had any issues with my DMax, it pulls a very heavy load up the hills faster than I should even being towing that chit and drives great. What more could I ask for? I wouldn't dare mess with the chance of ruining its reliablilty or performnce just to be able to run some friggen french fry oil. :dunno::flipoff:

Its when people start doing chit that the factory doesn't recommend is when they have issues. There actually is some reason behind what the factory tells you what is good and bad for their vehicles. :flipoff:

exactly :loser:

aaaaaaaaaaahahahahahahaha :blink: ....NOT! :jester2: Oh well you tried. :flipoff::laughing:

Those engines won't plug right in and work in a Silverado. Just because you drive a truck doesn't mean you know chit about them. ohhh! :laughoff::laughoff::laughoff::beercheers::laughoff::clap:

Sure it will work!!!! Just need a BFH!!!!!!!

well, i towed my hauler with the biodiesel this last weekend...Granted it wasnt loaded down forthe dunes (it fuggin should have been :laughoff: ) but it was around 6-7k .

seemed to tow it pretty nicely. no noticeable power detractions. the engine still runs much quieter than with regular petrol.

I also filled up this morning on the way to work, and hand calc'd my mpg.....up almost 2 mpg using the biodiesel, and thats with towing about 22 miles too! :laughoff:

I got my PPE boost valve late last week, and installed it too.... what it does is it slows down the airflow from the turbo to the wastegate considerably....pretty easy install too...took me like 5 minutes to do it. What it does is increase boost by about 10psi. i need to get a pyro and a boost gauge now, so i can see what the hell is going on under my hood.

i took my truck out and about yesterday running errands, and I have to say, seat of the pants feel, my truck is definitely quicker that it was without the boost valve. the guy at PPE told me that the benefits of this boost valve are greatly increased with a tuner, which i have. (predator @ 85 hp setting)

anyway....that was the last tank of bio i will be running....seemed like there were a couple benefits to it....too bad the high pressure fuel rail system in my truck wasnt built to run biodiesel, or i would continue it

So Let me understand this. The Greenies, Pippies, Tree Huggers want everyone to fun B20 because it it GOOD for the enviorment. So you try to do the right thing. Then...

You burn your truck up

have to pay for a new motor $$$$$

Put the original type motor back in it from the Corp. A$$hat Money Grappers cause they won't warrenty it or

buy one of their newer better trucks $$$$$$ from the Corp. D*cks

They get richer you get poorer.

Start running the right fuel in it that is bad for the enviorment and costs to much $ even tho it is cheaper to make.

Piss the Greenies, Pippies, Trees Huggers off again, so now what.

Looks to me like only one group of people win here.

You forgot granola heads.... :D

:laughoff:

speaking of biodiesel

i saw a car that was on biodiesel...how i know...because it said biodiesel test cor on the side

now they say its good for the environment but it didnt look tat way to me

the light turns green the guy steps on the gas and a puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust

hahahahaha...nice

well, i towed my hauler with the biodiesel this last weekend...Granted it wasnt loaded down forthe dunes (it fuggin should have been :flipoff: ) but it was around 6-7k .

seemed to tow it pretty nicely. no noticeable power detractions. the engine still runs much quieter than with regular petrol.

I also filled up this morning on the way to work, and hand calc'd my mpg.....up almost 2 mpg using the biodiesel, and thats with towing about 22 miles too! :grin:

I got my PPE boost valve late last week, and installed it too.... what it does is it slows down the airflow from the turbo to the wastegate considerably....pretty easy install too...took me like 5 minutes to do it. What it does is increase boost by about 10psi. i need to get a pyro and a boost gauge now, so i can see what the hell is going on under my hood.

i took my truck out and about yesterday running errands, and I have to say, seat of the pants feel, my truck is definitely quicker that it was without the boost valve. the guy at PPE told me that the benefits of this boost valve are greatly increased with a tuner, which i have. (predator @ 85 hp setting)

anyway....that was the last tank of bio i will be running....seemed like there were a couple benefits to it....too bad the high pressure fuel rail system in my truck wasnt built to run biodiesel, or i would continue it

:dope: oh boy. Bio fuel, boost valve, now a tuner.....this aint gonna end pretty :ninja:

:lol: like running bigger than stock tires and wheels? :lol:

:beat::laughoff:

:lol:

no...more so like things such as aftermarket programmers and things that add cylinder pressure and temperature. Oh yeah...and bio diesel too! :lol::laughoff::laughoff:

speaking of biodiesel

i saw a car that was on biodiesel...how i know...because it said biodiesel test cor on the side

now they say its good for the environment but it didnt look tat way to me

the light turns green the guy steps on the gas and a puff of black smoke comes out of the exhaust

hahahahaha...nice

That was just a french fry getting caught in the muffler.

Hey Cheese! I hope things don't get worse. You know, a long term effect.

:laughing: oh boy. Bio fuel, boost valve, now a tuner.....this aint gonna end pretty :eatdrink021:

no...more so like things such as aftermarket programmers and things that add cylinder pressure and temperature. Oh yeah...and bio diesel too! :headbang1: :freakin_nuts: :freakin_nuts:

ive been running my tuner now for about 2 years without any problems. when I tow, i go back to stock tune

arent you running a hypertech? :laughing:

the boost valve can only be done to the lbz, because the line from the turbo to the wastegate on the LLY, LBZ and LMM have all been constricted, or so I have been told :laughing:

ive been running my tuner now for about 2 years without any problems. when I tow, i go back to stock tune

arent you running a hypertech? :bawl:

the boost valve can only be done to the lbz, because the line from the turbo to the wastegate on the LLY, LBZ and LMM have all been constricted, or so I have been told :poop_hittin_the_fan:

Tuners aren't all that bad if you know how to use them and don't go overboard. Yes I am running a hypertech on stage 2 and always watch my EGT's and drive accordingly. I wouldn't add any more boost though beyond a mild programmer. That just me though. I like to play it safe. Its not worth it going more HP, boost, timing, etc. :bawl:

So Pete..... should I remove my programmer before I bring the truck in? I hope to make an appointment in a week or two.

How long do you think they will need it? I have a small list of items :)

Yes, remove it before you bring it in. If we need to reflash the PCM you will lose your tune program.

Not sure how long we'll need it. It depends on your laundry list I guess. :shocked2:

Yes, remove it before you bring it in. If we need to reflash the PCM you will lose your tune program.

Not sure how long we'll need it. It depends on your laundry list I guess. :shocked2:

I have the Edge so it is all loaded in the unit. Its not like the others where it swaps the image in the PCM. I was more worried that there may be an issue with the service manager/warranty Co. The tranny kit I am getting has everything from the TC to full rebuild kit (clutches, seals, etc) So you guys should make out if the warranty co pays for all the parts that you wont need to purchase. Unless your tranny guy or even you wants to keep it all for yourselves.

Have you heard of any issues w/ flywheels cracking or coming apart on them? My buddy here in Connecticut had his flywheel come apart and the TC went through the tranny. (violently) and the warranty only covered the flywheel and he had to eat the new tranny. :dunno:

I have the Edge so it is all loaded in the unit. Its not like the others where it swaps the image in the PCM. I was more worried that there may be an issue with the service manager/warranty Co. The tranny kit I am getting has everything from the TC to full rebuild kit (clutches, seals, etc) So you guys should make out if the warranty co pays for all the parts that you wont need to purchase. Unless your tranny guy or even you wants to keep it all for yourselves.

Have you heard of any issues w/ flywheels cracking or coming apart on them? My buddy here in Connecticut had his flywheel come apart and the TC went through the tranny. (violently) and the warranty only covered the flywheel and he had to eat the new tranny. :shocked2:

I'd still take it off. If the ext warranty company sends out an inspector, they will probably decline the repair.

I haven't seen and flywheels come apart on the DMax's. As for the other parts you have for teh trans, you'll have to work it out with the trans guy. I will have him chat with you when you drop it off.

BTW, your avatar doesn't work anymore. :dunno: lol

I'd still take it off. If the ext warranty company sends out an inspector, they will probably decline the repair.

I haven't seen and flywheels come apart on the DMax's. As for the other parts you have for teh trans, you'll have to work it out with the trans guy. I will have him chat with you when you drop it off.

BTW, your avatar doesn't work anymore. :dunno: lol

What about the egt probe in the exhaust? I cant leave a hole there but will they have an issue with that?

Do you think your tranny guy will have an issue with it? If you think they will have a problem with it I may bring it back to St.George as he is friends with the service dept. I'd rather have you guys do the work tho.

Yea I deleted the wrong folder on my web site and never uploaded the pics back. One of these days I'll fix it. But right now I am in Ct fixing everyone elses pc's. Hopefully when I get back I can get some of those things fixed :shocked2:

What about the egt probe in the exhaust? I cant leave a hole there but will they have an issue with that?

Do you think your tranny guy will have an issue with it? If you think they will have a problem with it I may bring it back to St.George as he is friends with the service dept. I'd rather have you guys do the work tho.

Yea I deleted the wrong folder on my web site and never uploaded the pics back. One of these days I'll fix it. But right now I am in Ct fixing everyone elses pc's. Hopefully when I get back I can get some of those things fixed :shocked2:

The egt probe shouldn't be an issue. The trans guy doesn't care about any of it, its just the ext company.