New lane designations entering Dumont

dunefreak

Just buy your passes off-site!

Latest from the BLM:

As you get ready for a new year of safe, fun duning, the BLM would like you to be aware of a major change you will see in the management of fee collection. BLM employees will no longer be able to collect money. This is for the employee’s safety.

BLM and the TRT STRONGLY RECOMMEND that you purchase your pass off-site. You may call the BLM at 760-252-6040 for a list of current vendors or visit the passes page of DDR. Passes are sold at many locations and through BLM's Bartsow office. BLM will be encouraging off-site purchase of passes. Pass selling on-site will be phased out over the next 2 years. As a part of this phase out effort, annual passes will NOT be available at the fee machines.

Little Dunes Notice: PASSES WILL NOT BE SOLD AT THE LITTLE DUNES. PEOPLE CAMPING AT THE LITTLE DUNES WILL NEED TO GO TO THE FEE MACHINES AT THE BIG DUNES, OR PURCHASE THEIR PASS OFF-SITE.

New lane designations at the pay station area

Please pay close attention to the signs delineating the lanes once you pass the water crossing. These signs will direct you to the correct lane. Please look at the drawing below for a visual explanation of the new lane use.

If you purchased your pass OFF-SITE, you will enter the LEFT LANE. This is the EXPRESS lane. Please have your pass ready to show the BLM employee and you will pass through without delay.

If you chose to purchase your pass ON-SITE you will enter either the furthest RIGHT lane or the third from the right lane. When your lane gets close to the fee machines, PARK your vehicle, get out and walk to the RIGHT to the fee machines. Look for traffic in the lanes you cross. The fee machines have moved. THE FEE MACHINES ARE NOT IN THE CENTER OF THE ENTRANCE, BUT ARE ON THE FURTHEST RIGHT SIDE OF THE ENTRANCE AT THE BASE OF THE STEEP HILLS. After purchasing your pass, return to your vehicle and pull out into the second from the right lane. This lane is used to pull into from both the first from the right and third from the right lane, so look for traffic.

If you chose to purchase your pass on site, expect long delays and waiting period because all passes will be sold through 2 vending machines. You will need to park you vehicle, get out and walk to the fee machine to buy your pass.

lanes_thumb.jpg

click here for pdf version of this crappy map

There will NOT be window sales this year. FEE MACHINES WILL ONLY SELL WEEKLY PASSES. ALL ANNUAL PASSES MUST BE BOUGHT OFF-SITE.

The BLM is so LAME!!!!

Looks like Im buying our pass somewhere else!!

This is going to take forever to get in... Thanks BLM! :grin::blink:

What a bunch of :clown:

Look, after attending the TRT/ BLM meeting today in Barstow, this isn't going to be that confusing. The BLM doesn't want this to take a long time either or back up a bunch of vehicles at the entrance. It's pretty simple actually. Just wait and see for yourself once you get to Dumont and don't worry about it too much. I'm sure it will be smooth sailing come October.

Remember last year around Thanksgiving how much of a mess we all thought the pay area would be? It was never even that bad and THAT was with credit card transactions in that trailer, new fees, new passes, exchanges, etc.

But you will have to slow donw so they can see it which its going to back up with only one lane

How is that any different than last year? It never backed up real bad then? They don't plan on stopping those vehicles with passes displayed. You won't even have to slow down that much. :tmi::D

The whole point here is to urge everyone to get your passes OFF SITE. That is what they are trying to do so it goes that much more smooth.

I have to admit it sounded much worse to me too when I first read it, but thats only becuase the crappy drawing/ map they supplied and LOTS of words trying to describe how it worked. There's really nothing to stress about, peeps. :thumb:

we all know how much room there is between the paystations and the wash.. There will be 3 count 3 lanes entering dumont at the paystation. 2 lanes for people who need to stop and buy a pass and one lane consider it a fast lane, diamond lane, hurry the eff up lane. There will be no backing up for miles with one lane garbage you are all spewing... Like dunefreak said it will be smooooooth sailing..... Just rellaaaaaax Mike trost ALSO said that if this doesnt work out they will figure something else out to make it as smooth as possible to get your pass and get to the flats. :D

I hope it works out. I just know that when they did this at lake mead it made it worse it seems. People with no passes will end up in the pass lane, stop and talk to blm people and then have to figure out how to pull over without blocking traffic. I just thought they would have made it 2 lanes for the people with passes since most people will already have one.

just get there on thursday afternoon and avoid the lines

Usually do :D:D:mc::mc:

I think it's a great idea to try and improve it but like I said before I think it's going to get screwed up. Not the BLM's fault but just the Dumba$$'s that can't read or won't follow directions. Went to Lake Mead last weekend and sat in the pass line for 10mins waiting on people buying their pass.

Edited by YamaKiller

we all know how much room there is between the paystations and the wash.. There will be 3 count 3 lanes entering dumont at the paystation. 2 lanes for people who need to stop and buy a pass and one lane consider it a fast lane, diamond lane, hurry the eff up lane. There will be no backing up for miles with one lane garbage you are all spewing... Like dunefreak said it will be smooooooth sailing..... Just rellaaaaaax Mike trost ALSO said that if this doesnt work out they will figure something else out to make it as smooth as possible to get your pass and get to the flats. :D

And don't forget the improvements they are making on that hill climb going in too!! Gonna make it easier for most folks to maneuver the climb/curve and avoid getting stuck......talk about a traffic jam when that happens!! Looking forward to that change BIG time :D

hopefully this map is easier to understand how it will work...

lanes-marked_thumb.jpg

Awesome Pete!! Much better than the original "sketch"

Usually do :D:D:mc::mc:

I think it's a great idea to try and improve it but like I said before I think it's going to get screwed up. Not the BLM's fault but just the Dumba$$'s that can't read or won't follow directions. Went to Lake Mead last weekend and sat in the pass line for 10mins waiting on people buying their pass.

Just like the :tmi: that can't read the signs 'LEFT LANE ENDS 2 MILES'... 'LEFT LANE ENDS 1 MILE'....yet they still move over to the LEFT lane to pass somebody only to cram back into the path of those on the right because the LEFT LANE ended!! The ability to read is obviously NOT a prerequisite to getting a driver's license! :grin:

So I understand your point completely, but with any luck that will become a non-issue!! Those of us with our pass proudly displayed from the review mirror should drive thru the express lane with minimal delay! :blink:

Look, after attending the TRT/ BLM meeting today in Barstow, this isn't going to be that confusing. The BLM doesn't want this to take a long time either or back up a bunch of vehicles at the entrance. It's pretty simple actually. Just wait and see for yourself once you get to Dumont and don't worry about it too much. I'm sure it will be smooth sailing come October.

Remember last year around Thanksgiving how much of a mess we all thought the pay area would be? It was never even that bad and THAT was with credit card transactions in that trailer, new fees, new passes, exchanges, etc.

How is that any different than last year? It never backed up real bad then? They don't plan on stopping those vehicles with passes displayed. You won't even have to slow down that much. :dumbass: :D

The whole point here is to urge everyone to get your passes OFF SITE. That is what they are trying to do so it goes that much more smooth.

I have to admit it sounded much worse to me too when I first read it, but thats only becuase the crappy drawing/ map they supplied and LOTS of words trying to describe how it worked. There's really nothing to stress about, peeps. :assblast:

:flipoff::dunno::thumb: Get yor pass off site.. :thumb::blah: ....

Still sucks....

J/K... :D

It just seems like a good idea on paper, but I think not having the people there to sell tickets may back up the lines more than usual.

I guess we will just see how it works out soon enough.

:grin:

It just seems like a good idea on paper, but I think not having the people there to sell tickets may back up the lines more than usual.

yep, their idea is to completley phase out staff on site AS WELL AS no fee machines at Dumont. :dumbass:

Ya know what I think? Yea right! It's never gonna happen or work. You have to have SOME WAY for newbies and non-internet surfing duners to buy a pass on-site. Not everyone is going to see the signs in Baker or online. :grin:

This season should be pretty smooth sailing. If not the BLM will make it work- they always do. :assblast:

• 2 weeks later...

And don't forget the improvements they are making on that hill climb going in too!! Gonna make it easier for most folks to maneuver the climb/curve and avoid getting stuck......talk about a traffic jam when that happens!! Looking forward to that change BIG time :D

People actually get stuck on that hill? :loser:

yep, their idea is to completley phase out staff on site AS WELL AS no fee machines at Dumont. :slap:

This season should be pretty smooth sailing. If not the BLM will make it work- they always do. :mob:

They do a good job and I appreciate the heads up, but thinking they can go without staff all together tells me somebody's a little off. :watching: j/k It seems with the new system the vendors on-site won't be selling passes....and if they are I still don't understand why they can't sell annual passes. I was hoping this year I could pick mine up from the on-site vendor and be good. Oh well....I'll do what I have to...to play in the sandbox. :contract: Thanks again for the great info. :finger:

People actually get stuck on that hill? :mob:

They do a good job and I appreciate the heads up, but thinking they can go without staff all together tells me somebody's a little off. :watching: j/k It seems with the new system the vendors on-site won't be selling passes....and if they are I still don't understand why they can't sell annual passes. I was hoping this year I could pick mine up from the on-site vendor and be good. Oh well....I'll do what I have to...to play in the sandbox. :contract: Thanks again for the great info. :loser:

I think the vendors who sell the passes WILL have annual passes for sale. I think the BLM just meant that the fee machines and BLM won't be selling the annuals on site. ;)

It doesn't make much sense though. They sell the passes at vendor row.....AFTER the spot where they check passes going in at the entrance. :slap: Maybe they won't be checking them going in and will be doing more camp to camp checks from now on. :finger:

Last year we got to the dunes around 10pm and just drove to the rock pile and set up camp. The next day I rode my Banshee to the pay station and bought our pass....

I will probably do the same this year... If I cant get a pass before Halloween... :laughoff:

:laughoff:

Edited by Dune Family