Sept 6th TRT meeting report

Meeting went real well today. It is always a pleasure being able to attend and be part of what goes on out at Dumont.

Here are some quick notes I took on what was discussed...

Asphalt grindings/ entrance road

No the road will not ever be paved, however BLM is in the process of negotiation with Granite Construction for some new asphalt grindings. There is a good chance that they can get there hands on 35,000 tons of very good material to lay down and roll. It is much better material (finer, smaller grindings) than the last load they recieved which was only about 15,000 tons- not enough to get good coverage. They are hoping to get it for the cost of hauling it or even better, for free. If they get the new grindings, they will be on top of this and get it layed down more adequate and rolled asap.

New things at Dumont

A large permanant concrete helipad at the ranger station area was poured.

2 large slabs were also poured at the Dumont ranger station for the command post and BLM trailers in order to keep things more organized for easier access. They called them "resident pads", but the camp hosts still plan on parking in their normal spot at bathroom 10.

BLM will now have 2 new emergency phone numbers AT THE RANGER STATION that duners can call for assistance.

A new visitor center will be constructed and set up near the ranger station area instead of down at the pay station that will have a kiosk with information such as the new Dumont flyers which contain a map of the area, rules, emergency numbers, dune saftey tips, etc.

There will be a new lighted wind sock at the ranger station on holiday weekends.

The ranger station will now have a "corridor" to make things easier for traffic entering and exiting.

There will also be a cable/ post perimeter around the ranger station for designation.

All these new improvements were paid for by GRANT money and NOT our user fee money.

Amargosa River/ Sperry Wash route

New carsinites (sp?) or markers will be put up to help designate the closed routes that should be recognized and obeyed by riders. Many closed routes aren't currently marked very clearly so these new markers should help with this issue.

BLM is going to work on getting GPS coords and a map for flyers that will be available at the information kiosk that also explain the areas that are critical areas.

New grant money

The regulations are getting redone so hopefully the BLM will recieve new grant money from the state parks green sticker money. The deadline is March 09 and they are optimistic about getting more funding for Dumont.

Next TRT meeting

Tuesday Jan 20, 2009

I think that pretty much sums it up and SIMPLFIES everything.

Good times seeing everyone again and had some great laughes at Slash X after the meeting! :grin::tmi:

IT was a great turnout i think i counted 21 or 22 people from the public that showed up.. It was a great turnout. Petes cliffnotes are right on target and hit all the major points so i have nothing to add :D It was good to see everyone again and hang out at slashx.

it was great to see all the peeps in the meeting room....a few chairs shy of standing room only.. it was great when the people around the room where saying their name and what affilliation they had to whatever group. 3/4 of the peeps there in the gallery were from DDR. :grin: it was a strong showing for sure.

this was the third meeting that i have attended, and it was actually a breath of fresh air for the TRT, as well as the gallery to finally recognize our opponents for what they are. they do not choose to find middle ground with us. they don't want to co-exist with us...THEY WANT US OUT OF DUMONT, PERMENENTLY. To conclude what most of knew all along puts us in the mindset we need to be for the fight for dumont.

dont think for one minute that if we claim a victory, however so small, with the fringed toed lizard incident, that our opponents arent scheming on another angle...because thats how they operate.

GOOD JOB DDR!!

Good report Pete. I wished more people would go and learn about this very important issue. It was all I wanted to talked about went I got home.

People also need to know this is NOT just about Dumont but all out door recreational areas.

I would like to know more about a Peer Review Committee.

Thanks guys. My notes that I took at the meeting helped out alot with relaying the info.

I'm gonna add one item to the list here.

Out of the $815,000 07/08 Dumont 'budget' only $14,000 remains. This is why they are trying to get the season pass sales off to a running start in order to get some fundage rolling in. :D

Yeah that was in my notes too but chose not to post it because I could already hear the whining of how the money was spent. "whaaat 815,000 doollllarrs??....where did that go....wahhhh" :bawl::blah::blah::blah:

:laughing:

One more thing, another huge thanks goes out to YNOT (Terry) for everything he does for us. That drive to Barstow SUCKS bad and costs lots of time and money in fuel and time away work. This has been the 3rd meeting I have attended and I really started to realize what he and all the other TRT members go through to help out Dumont. THANK YOU! :laughing::blah::blah:

Pete, thanks for the pat on the back it is mucho appreciated. I have learned that I can make the drive better in 2 ways, either get someone to ride down with or if not turn up the Sirius Radio and play my geezer rock loud the whole way. However if I take Bbbbbert with me I don't have to talk much as he does all that for me :laughing:

Thanks guys. My notes that I took at the meeting helped out alot with relaying the info.

Yeah that was in my notes too but chose not to post it because I could already hear the whining of how the money was spent. "whaaat 815,000 doollllarrs??....where did that go....wahhhh" :bawl::blah::blah::blah:

:laughing:

No kidding!! Believe me, there was much hesitation before clicking the 'Add Reply' button for that exact reason. You and I know the money is well spent and NO WHINING allowed!

:shout: Buy your season pass before the end of September and save $10.00!! <Every little bit helps these days> :D

Pete, thanks for the pat on the back it is mucho appreciated. I have learned that I can make the drive better in 2 ways, either get someone to ride down with or if not turn up the Sirius Radio and play my geezer rock loud the whole way. However if I take Bbbbbert with me I don't have to talk much as he does all that for me :laughing:

jeez sorry :blah: .....dont tell my wife that because she says I never talk.

Pete, thanks for the pat on the back it is mucho appreciated. I have learned that I can make the drive better in 2 ways, either get someone to ride down with or if not turn up the Sirius Radio and play my geezer rock loud the whole way. However if I take Bbbbbert with me I don't have to talk much as he does all that for me :blah:

When it gets a litttle closer, I am going to try and get the day off. I may ride with you, if there's still a seat open. But I probably don't talk nearly as much as Bert. :laughing:

When it gets a litttle closer, I am going to try and get the day off. I may ride with you, if there's still a seat open. But I probably don't talk nearly as much as Bert. :laughing:

sheet lady...get you enough caffiene, and not only will you talk everyones ear off :blah::blah::blah::bawl:

but you'll also take a VCR apart and put it back together 3 times between Vegas and Crackstow

:jester2:

One more thing, another huge thanks goes out to YNOT (Terry) for everything he does for us. That drive to Barstow SUCKS bad and costs lots of time and money in fuel and time away work. This has been the 3rd meeting I have attended and I really started to realize what he and all the other TRT members go through to help out Dumont. THANK YOU! :woo_hoo::laughoff::driver:

i'd like to be at the next meeting, pete. and i know what yuh mean about barstool....i spent a week there one night.