Beam Car ideas and questions

WHIZ

Ok, so I may be getting a Beam car super cheap. This would be an old military dune buggy based on all VW parts. Since I'm new to this whole scene and haven't the slightest where to look for parts and upgrades for beam cars, I'm hoping those of you in the know would pass some decent links for me to check out.

After a little walk next door to look and some more research of the old documents. Turns out this is a former Spec Ops vehicle I may be able to get my hands on. Built by Chenowth Racing for the military in the early 80's it was known as a FAV Fast Attach Vehicle. This is not one of the cars I would be getting, but very close to the same as far as parts and arrangement of the vehicle.

FAVkenosha1.JPG

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Pete!

In my humble opinion, this just may be a good starter rail for you. Not a lot of money and you can decide if this is your bag. Parts are plentiful in town and Dave at Butches is cool to work with. This car, running well with the proper tires on it, will negociate most all of the sand you incounter. It won't be scorching fast but fun and dependable if in good running order. You can also enjoy the dirt trails too.

There are a lot of good deals out there right now on used rails, if you have the money to spend. As they say "''money talks and BS walks" especially in hard times.

Typicaply these cars are pretty heavy. Myself, I wouldn't put a lot of money in the car for up grades. It has limited wheel travel and after you becone a real duner and want to go fast, if that is your wish, you will want one of the lighter faster more expensive new genertion sand rails.

One other good thing is that it might be able to be made street legal, according to the pix you posted.

Good luck on your decision.

Remember.....In my case, informatiion is only worth what you pay for it. and everone has an opinion, it's like an A.H., every one has one. ;)

Edited by SANDAWG

In my humble opinion, this just may be a good starter rail for you. Not a lot of money and you can decide if this is your bag. Parts are plentiful in town and Dave at Butches is cool to work with. This car, running well with the proper tires on it, will negociate most all of the sand you incounter. It won't be scorching fast but fun and dependable if in good running order. You can also enjoy the dirt trails too.

There are a lot of good deals out there right now on used rails, if you have the money to spend. As they say "''money talks and BS walks" especially in hard times.

Typicaply these cars are pretty heavy. Myself, I wouldn't put a lot of money in the car for up grades. It has limited wheel travel and after you becone a real duner and want to go fast, if that is your wish, you will want one of the lighter faster more expensive new genertion sand rails.

One other good thing is that it might be able to be made street legal, according to the pix you posted.

Good luck on your decision.

Remember.....In my case, informatiion is only worth what you pay for it. and everone has an opinion, it's like an A.H., every one has one. ;)

Thanks SANDAWG! At this point the fact that I should be able to get it super cheap is what is prompting me to go for it. After going to clean up weekend last year I'm hooked, but can't afford toys at this time (To many other friggin hobbies). These cars are indeed heavy, but I'm hoping that if I remove some of the military added items I will make it a little lighter. Again, at this point the idea is just to get out to the sand. I don't know everyone well enough to show up at the DDR camp as a groupie.

Being a south eastern boy, I'm not in tune with rails (Beam or otherwise), sand, or VW's. So, the idea was to get a few ideas to make the car a little more dunable for relatively cheap. Right now the hang up is these folks here at work. I keep reminding them that dune season starts in October.

Thanks SANDAWG! At this point the fact that I should be able to get it super cheap is what is prompting me to go for it. After going to clean up weekend last year I'm hooked, but can't afford toys at this time (To many other friggin hobbies). These cars are indeed heavy, but I'm hoping that if I remove some of the military added items I will make it a little lighter. Again, at this point the idea is just to get out to the sand. I don't know everyone well enough to show up at the DDR camp as a groupie.

Being a south eastern boy, I'm not in tune with rails (Beam or otherwise), sand, or VW's. So, the idea was to get a few ideas to make the car a little more dunable for relatively cheap. Right now the hang up is these folks here at work. I keep reminding them that dune season starts in October.

Common ground, I am new to DDR also and did go to clean up day too. My partner and I brought in a bunh of junk, RV awning, a porta potty, sky rocket launching pad plus some other trash. We had a ball.

I'm not sure but I don't think all members of DDR camp together. I could be wrong about that.

I agree that the car will do OK on the sand.

Again Good Luck

:MBdance::barf: There is no ONE DDR camp. DDR is a community website for all peeps of Dumont. I think a camp of 4000+ people would be a lil much don't you? :banghead:

Common ground, I am new to DDR also and did go to clean up day too. My partner and I brought in a bunh of junk, RV awning, a porta potty, sky rocket launching pad plus some other trash. We had a ball.

I'm not sure but I don't think all members of DDR camp together. I could be wrong about that.

I agree that the car will do OK on the sand.

Again Good Luck

You are correct Pat. :D

:dope::shake: There is no ONE DDR camp. DDR is a community website for all peeps of Dumont. I think a camp of 4000+ people would be a lil much don't you? :idiot:

Oh come on it would be great!!!!! We can park in a circle around Dumont and tell everyone to get the F out of our camp... :shake::dope::laughing::laughing:

Hey Whiz... Good luck with the new toy....

:think:

If the car is running it sounds like a good deal. But if not and your not so inclined on working on a used car then it could be a money pit for you. I say any car that puts a smile on your face while your out there is a good car.

Get some pictures up of it so we can start helping you out. Being military it's gonna be heavy.Probably stil has the .50 cal rack on top of it. Chenowith is right down the street from me so if you need any info I can stop by and get it for you just let me know.

:shake::idiot: There is no ONE DDR camp. DDR is a community website for all peeps of Dumont. I think a camp of 4000+ people would be a lil much don't you? :think:

You are correct Pat. :duniemonkie::D

PLease log this comment in the archives! According to my wife I haven't been right about anything in a long.....long......time. :dope:

If the car is running it sounds like a good deal. But if not and your not so inclined on working on a used car then it could be a money pit for you. I say any car that puts a smile on your face while your out there is a good car.

Get some pictures up of it so we can start helping you out. Being military it's gonna be heavy.Probably stil has the .50 cal rack on top of it. Chenowith is right down the street from me so if you need any info I can stop by and get it for you just let me know.

Most likely I wont get a running car. The squaron picked up 3 from Edwards AFB, right now the hope is for them to get one running. It is quite possible I can get one plus plenty of parts from them. I have no problems working on them; my labor cost is cheap (hahaha).

I have a few pictures, but they are crappy cell pictures. We have some other classified equipment with them right now, so I can no longer go back there with a camera. You are correct though, one still has the .50 cal rack on the roof. The others have a gun sling type of contraption on the passenger side. Is Chenowth still operational? The research I did for the squadron came across the owner dieing a short time back, and the business closing down.

:thumb::driver: There is no ONE DDR camp. DDR is a community website for all peeps of Dumont. I think a camp of 4000+ people would be a lil much don't you? :thumb:

HaHa, ok. I guess what I typed didn't quite come out how I meant it. So, I will clearify that I don't feel right going out to the dunes without my own toys.

Plus, I still hadn't talked Pete into making one of the DDR stickers with a dude drinking a beer!

• 1 month later...

Most likely I wont get a running car. The squaron picked up 3 from Edwards AFB, right now the hope is for them to get one running. It is quite possible I can get one plus plenty of parts from them. I have no problems working on them; my labor cost is cheap (hahaha).

I have a few pictures, but they are crappy cell pictures. We have some other classified equipment with them right now, so I can no longer go back there with a camera. You are correct though, one still has the .50 cal rack on the roof. The others have a gun sling type of contraption on the passenger side. Is Chenowth still operational? The research I did for the squadron came across the owner dieing a short time back, and the business closing down.

I would be interested in one of these buggies.Is there anymore for sale?running or not.