Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Posted

I've got an Onan 5500 generator that won't run. Cleaned the carberator out a few times. Still will only run if I hold the choke on. Any idea's?????? Thanks. Bob. :dunno:

Posted

I've got an Onan 5500 generator that won't run. Cleaned the carberator out a few times. Still will only run if I hold the choke on. Any idea's?????? Thanks. Bob. :dunno:

I thought you were a generator tech? Quit being a pu$$y and fix it!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted

There are two fuel filters on a 5500. Onan is now asking everyone to remove the upper fuel filter by the carb and replace it with a splice kit for 18 bucks. I just ordered one today.

Posted (edited)

Well if it is like my onan and sat for a while without being ran, you have a more serious/expensive problem on your hands. If I can remember correctly the onan's carb has such a small jet that once it is clogged the carb is worthless. I cleaned my carb several times, and tried to clean the jet out with no luck. I could get mine to start but it would not idle or stay running unless I held it wide open. Good luck.

Edited by lindernglamis
Posted

If it has the altitude adjustment that is black plastic, you have to break the plastic to get the air screw all the way out. Then you can clean it and it should run fine.

Posted

Cleaned my onan carb 3 times after sitting all summer got better each time tried to buy

rebuild kit they don't sell them I bought a new carb for 139.00 put it in now runs purrrrfect

:flipoff:

Posted

I don't have an Onan, but I had a similar problem. There's a fuel solenoid underneath the bowl on the carb (on mine) that seemed to be the problem. A couple taps with a BFH and bada-bing. I tried to get the fuel solenoid from Generac, but they'll only sell you the entire carb. So now I have an $89 carb just in case. Maybe the Onan has a similar set-up.

Posted

I don't have an Onan, but I had a similar problem. There's a fuel solenoid underneath the bowl on the carb (on mine) that seemed to be the problem. A couple taps with a BFH and bada-bing. I tried to get the fuel solenoid from Generac, but they'll only sell you the entire carb. So now I have an $89 carb just in case. Maybe the Onan has a similar set-up.

Its the filter!

Posted

Well if it is like my onan and sat for a while without being ran, you have a more serious/expensive problem on your hands. If I can remember correctly the onan's carb has such a small jet that once it is clogged the carb is worthless. I cleaned my carb several times, and tried to clean the jet out with no luck. I could get mine to start but it would not idle or stay running unless I held it wide open. Good luck.

I believe that is the easily overlooked idle jet that needs to be blown out.

Also, jumper the low oil shut off deadman switch.

Posted

wut do ya expect...it was made in the us :thumb:

yeah we had the same problem...tried starting it up at the beginning of the season

started for a lil bit then turned off.

too much old gas in the tank...just put 25 new gallons in and it ran like a champ :thumb:

just a suggestion :thumb:

Posted

I paid a mobile mechanic to come out and take the carb out and clean it. The jets were clogged he put it back together and the 5500 has run great ever since. He charged me 200.00 well worth it...

Posted

I paid a mobile mechanic to come out and take the carb out and clean it. The jets were clogged he put it back together and the 5500 has run great ever since. He charged me 200.00 well worth it...

For $200 you could have bought a new carb and did it yourself.

Posted

For $200 you could have bought a new carb and did it yourself.

Well when you are not sure if the problem is the carb to buy a new one and hope that it fixes the problem isn't very smart. :beercheers: I try to leave it up to the professionals. :beercheers:

Posted

Well when you are not sure if the problem is the carb to buy a new one and hope that it fixes the problem isn't very smart. :beercheers: I try to leave it up to the professionals. :beercheers:

That's true, I wasn't tyring to bag on you.

Posted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Finally cleaned all the crap out of the carb about 5 times, replaced the filter, hit it with a BFH and replaced the bad gas in the tank and wala it works. :dunno:

Posted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Finally cleaned all the crap out of the carb about 5 times, replaced the filter, hit it with a BFH and replaced the bad gas in the tank and wala it works. :dunno:

Its about effin time!!!!

Posted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Finally cleaned all the crap out of the carb about 5 times, replaced the filter, hit it with a BFH and replaced the bad gas in the tank and wala it works. :dunno:

Right on Bob, it was the BFH, I know it was! :flipoff:

Posted

Thanks everyone for the suggestions. Finally cleaned all the crap out of the carb about 5 times, replaced the filter, hit it with a BFH and replaced the bad gas in the tank and wala it works. :dunno:

Right on Bob, it was the BFH, I know it was! :flipoff:

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
  • VIP RV

×
×
  • Create New...