Wicked Fires 11-15-08

Randog

Welp, here's some very unfortunate news. :rockwoot:

Saturday we were washin' the toyhauler and saw smoke in the distance.

Whitney said it looked like just maybe it was the Yorba Linda area (where her dad lives) about 25 miles away from my house.

A quick phone call and... Ohhh Chit, her dad's whole neighborhood is blazin'. :dayum:

They were packing up and had to run out of the house , because the flames were at the property line. :think:

Her dad went back to see the corner of the house burning.

There was a firetruck near and these guys attended to his house.

They pulled a firehose through the house, punched a hole from inside the house and doused the flames. :clap:

They saved his house. Unbelievable when you see these pics. The fire was all around their house.

Some families weren't so lucky. If that's what you want to call it. :laughing: Very sad weekend.

Her parents and dogs stayed at my house last night to let some of the smoke settle.

Today we went down there with them to help clean up.

Nobody was sure what was left or what to expect. What a mess. :dope:

Here's some pics:

Keep in mind this area has some of the most beautiful homes I've ever seen.

I wish I would have taken pics of some of the unburnt homes to put things into perspective.

On the way to Yorba Linda.

post-591-1226902744_thumb.jpg

-----

His house from a distance (on the right). See the burned hills all around it.

post-591-1226902998_thumb.jpg

-----

Side yard

post-591-1226903087_thumb.jpg

-----

Back yard

post-591-1226902678_thumb.jpg

-----

The roof damage.

post-591-1226903053_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226903019_thumb.jpg

-----

There were many people that were much more unfortunate than them. :laughoff:

Here are just a few of them:

post-591-1226902721_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226902788_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226902814_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226902855_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226902915_thumb.jpg

post-591-1226902970_thumb.jpg

There were many fires in many areas in Orange County this whole weekend.

There are a lot of families without homes or any of their belongings.

These fires are still burning as I type. it is very sad to watch the news here in SoCal.

23,000 acres have burned as of now in Corona, Anaheim Hills, Chino Hills, Yorba Linda, Diamond Bar, Sylmar, and more.

Please pray for these people in need. :praying: They are Devastated. :(

Sorry for the looong and negative post, just thought I'd share our weekend with our friends.

Thanks for listening,

R-

Edited by Randog

Good thing he stopped to look up and firemen were there. That could have been alot worse. Been watching the news all weekend about that, alot of unfortunate people. I was telling Shanna, I thought Whit was there, but then thought maybe loma linda. Let me know if I can assist in any way, tell her Dad Semper Fi......SF Woody :rockwoot:

So glad to hear Whits fathers house was spared. I have seen it all over the news about the fires. That pic with the burnt car looks strange. Doesnt look like anything around it is burnt? So for the most part Whits dads house is entact right?

Anything we can do??

Yeah Stacie, I think the heat got the tires to melt then burn and that took the car. Keep in mine the area was mostly green and now it's all brown or black.

Thanks for your kind offering of your help. :laughing:

Good thing he stopped to look up and firemen were there. That could have been alot worse. Been watching the news all weekend about that, alot of unfortunate people. I was telling Shanna, I thought Whit was there, but then thought maybe loma linda. Let me know if I can assist in any way, tell her Dad Semper Fi......SF Woody :rockwoot:

Her dad will get a kick outta that Woods. :think:

what a crappy deal.my in laws also live in Y.L. they had to split also but their house made it.My thoughts and prayers go out to everyone that is affected.A big thanks to our Fireman & Police officers.

Amen brotha on that one! A big thanks for sure. :laughoff: They were workin' their rears off and riskin' their lives at the same time.

Yeah Stacie, I think the heat got the tires to melt then burn and that took the car. Keep in mine the area was mostly green and now it's all brown or black.

Thanks for your kind offering of your help. :rockwoot:

Her dad will get a kick outta that Woods. :laughoff:

Amen brotha on that one! A big thanks for sure. :laughing: They were workin' their rears off and riskin' their lives at the same time.

How sad! Work all your life for your dream home and this happens. Nature is surely un kind sometimes!!

KUdos to the firefighters that saved the house.

I live in Sylmar and the fire started at about 10:30 Friday night. I live about 50 Feet from where it started and i stay 1 block over from Sayre st. I cant explain the feeling you get when you walk out and there is 50ft flames at your window. The wind was a mess and i have lived there for 30 years and knew when i seen this fire it was a serious issue. We stayed up till 5 in the morning batteling the neighborhoods small spot fires that started because people left so quick with out watering down the front. I am one of those people who will stay till the very end to save my house which i did and i can tell you that i deffinetly saved it from going up on a few different ocassions.

We lost a couple homes on the block above us and the 500+ mobile homes a mile to the left of me. I would have taken pics but there was no time for that since i was a part time firefighter. IF it wasent for the neighbores who stayed to save the houses i think it would have been alot worse. They say a garden hose wont work but they sure worked Great putting out spot fires and embers from starting your house on fire.

Something i hope nobody has to go thru and want to send a prayer out to all people in SO Cal who went thru the various fires in california and hope they are all OK ..

A Big thanks to all the different agencies wh fought this fire becasue they did a great job for sure!

Glad NitWit's dads house is ok! Thats some scarey stuff Randog

I feel bad for those that lost their homes! :(

Reminds me of how close the fire came in Yucca Valley, I remember how scared I was then and it was never that close!

Thanks to all the firemen and women out there who just save peoples dreams, lives, and think not of themselves when doing their daily jobs!

I had heard that one of the fires was started by some college kids having a bonfire party!

I woke up saturday morning to my wife telling me that there is a fire by our rental house in corona. So I call the tenent and he tells me he is packed up to go if needed.He then tells me that the fire is headed toward my house in Yorba Linda. I tell him that the fire has about couple hundred houses to go to get to me so I wasnt to worried. I also thought to myself that I have seen a couple fires in Yorba Linda over the years and the fire department always does a great job of putting them out before they get out of hand.So I then turn on the news and I see houses burning.Then a short time later its getting closer so I tell the wife to pack up just in case.As time goes on it just gets closer and closer in a short time so at this point I am starting to get a little concerned so I send the wife and kids to her brothers. Well about an hour later my dad calls who lives about a mile away and says that he can see houses burning behind him then a big knock on the door and police say get out now.So I get off the phone jump up on my roof and I can see the tip of the flames coming from the houses that are burning behind my dads house .Now I am really craping my pants as the fire is less than 2 miles away then I look over to the north and the whole hillside that is about a mile away is on fire. At that point after I have craped my pants a couple of times I see the police coming down the street telling everone to get out now. I then leave go to her brothers and then to a hotel not knowing if the house is still there.The next morning the area is still blocked off but I was able to still get in and was realieved to find the house was still standing. I have never seen anything like this fire ever it was super fast and powerful and it was amazing how some of the streets where homes were burned the fire leap froged every other house and on other streets it would burn two leave one standing then burn three more then leave a couple standing.One of the most frightening times in my life.My heart goes out to the ones that lost everything.