What are the alternatives to the Mendeola S4 ?

scott

I was at the extreme off road show this weekend and saw some other transaxles that were not Mendeola's and were said to be "Bullet Proof".. What are some other alternatives to Mendeola that would be suitable for a V8 car and possibly stronger than the S4 tranny? I am thinking about building a new rail and if I do, I may want to eventually go bannana's with the motor so the drive train will be key.. What would you guys suggest?

Edited by scott

Albins & Fortin are other good transaxles......but none of them are ever gonna be BULLET-PROOF if you like to get stupid like the rest of us. :rolleyes::laughoff:

Just ask Originalpimp. :dunno:

I think one of the ones I saw was the Albins.... I hear they are like $17K??

Are they that much better/stronger that the S4?

Also,

How are sandco performance cars?

I think one of the ones I saw was the Albins.... I hear they are like $17K??

Are they that much better/stronger that the S4?

Also,

How are sandco performance cars?

The Albins and the Fortin's are way stronger than a S4-S5.

But Mendeloa is coming out with a new S4 that has a stonger ring and pinion which is the weak link.

Quicksand also has their new trans that is a copy of the S4.

The Albins and Fortins are definitely the strongest,heaviest and most expensive transmissions out there. How much horsepower/torque do you plan on going? I'm sure that Mendeola S4 can handle just about anything you throw at it within reason. Speed Racer is putting out around 1000 horse.

Edited by Don29palms

. How much horsepower/torque do you plan on going?

Not sure yet.. I am looking at building a new rail now.. My budget went to hell in a handbag and if I build a rail, I am going to do it right from the start. That way if I really want to build up a motor, the drivetrain can handle it.

they will be fine bert!! there are many High HP setups behind those and non of them have had issues yet... but it all comes down to driving style as well... i have seen people make 400+ hp to the wheels and have a 2d survive 3 seasons all because of thier driving style...

700hp w/ a albins, fortin, or S4 will be fine..

If you use a Mendeola S4 or an Albins or a Fortin Plan on spending $12K or more for just the transmission. Then you're looking at using 934 midboard hubs for rear brakes which will run somwhere in the neighborhood of around $3.5K for rear brakes. Then add in 2 more 934 CVs and heavy duty axles. It starts to add up quick. I would imagine your budget for a car has gone up to somewhere around $75K plus. Good Luck! I wish I had that kind of money for my first sand car.

I'm sure you can get all those transmissions with 930 flanges but thats like using a type 1 trans against a V8. Why would you buy a real expensive and strong transmission and then use weak CVs?

I'm sure you can get all those transmissions with 930 flanges but thats like using a type 1 trans against a V8. Why would you buy a real expensive and strong transmission and then use weak CVs?

Exactly!!!!!! :drinkbeer:

• 3 weeks later...

Nobody has mentioned that the Fortin comes with a 2 year guarantee.... no questions asked..... no matter what horse power. Oh, and $12k is a good down payment on one but it won't get you in one...