new (to me) phenomenon in online purchasing

Richard Cheese

maybe some of you have experienced this, but my first go-around with it was today.

A business that i have bought several items from online over the past several years recently sold me something they didnt physically possess.

nowhere, at any step of the purchase...in the...description of the item.....in the choice of shipping, nor the most important part...GIVING THEM MY MONEY did ANYTHING say they were depending on a third party to fulfill my order with them.

now this purchase is in limbo, and is leaving me second-guessing my online purchases in the future.

Had i known this up front, i wouldnt have made the purchase.

This is pretty upsetting, people taking my money for something they don't physically possess. IMO, it's stealing...at least until you get your item

and after getting all that out...i still feel like i got :laughoff: d

Ethics in this country have gone down the :poop: er

Call your card company - It is NOT legal to charge someone for an online transaction until SHIPMENT is made. When I say shipment - They must have proof of tracking.

On the other hand if they check for authorization of funds on your card, card companies will show that as a charge then it will timeout if the actual charge is not made also...

i paid through paypal, so the money was instantly taken out

when i bought the item, it said "in stock".....but they had to buy the item from the manufacturer, who they cannot get ahold of now

it is a semi local off road appearral store, and i was expecting it here for this weekend for my son....

its just immoral, imo for someone to sell something they dont physically possess, and not tell that to the buyer

maybe some of you have experienced this, but my first go-around with it was today.

A business that i have bought several items from online over the past several years recently sold me something they didnt physically possess.

For most businesses it is impossible to stock everything they sell especially if they offer a lot of different items. If that was the requirement, most small family on-line businesses would be out of business. This is true for our business as well. Most people who shop on line are looking for the best deal they can get or something they can't get anywhere local.

Many people will shop us on-line and call to place the order. That is always an option to see if something is available.

When we 1st started, our online system processed the CC's automatically and if we did not have that item in stock or it was on back order, it tied up the customers money for at least 10 days. (Authorization). This pissed off the customer. All shopping carts not set up to process orders manually will at least authorize the CC.

If you pay with pay-pal, pay-pal charges the order when you place it. We have no control over it. Google checkout will authorize the card and the store charges (completes) the order when it wants to, either when shipped or however they want to do it.

Our system only collects the info. We charge all cards manually if the product is in stock and either drop ship it or have it sent to our store for shipment if it is something we normally do not stock. If the item is on back order, we let the customer know so he can either hold it or cancel his order and since we did not chage his card, there is no refund to do.

We stock items that sell well and are hard to get. If it is something that is readily available from the one of the 14 warehouses we buy from we have it shipped direct. This has worked very well for us as usually the customer gets it faster, from a warehouse closer to the customer.

Drop shipping saves us from having to spend millions on inventory then keeping track of it, which costs thousands of dollars. As long as it is done right, the customer gets is fast and at a larger savings. Depending on the items, most or our customers get their stuff in 1 to 3 days.

Thumpertalk works the same way as sand blasted.. You place the order our system automatically places an authorization (which to some banks APPEARS as a debit) Once the items ship is when we fully capture the funds. No sooner. Paying via PayPal the funds are instant nothing we can do about that method of payment.

We are also just like sand blasted. We state that we have a normal turn around time of 3-5 buisness days from the time you place your order till the time it leaves our door. 90% of the time its usually 1 or 2 days. If your items are back ordered or coming from a warehouse or coming direct from a manufacturer that are known to be slow (EIBACH) for instance we will inform the customer while processing the order. Gives them the opportunity to change it out for something else. We too have a few gripes about the authorizations but most people understand that when we explain it to them that its meerly an authorization and not a debit.

Thumpertalk works the same way as sand blasted.. You place the order our system automatically places an authorization (which to some banks APPEARS as a debit) Once the items ship is when we fully capture the funds. No sooner. Paying via PayPal the funds are instant nothing we can do about that method of payment.

Our system does not even authorize the card. Most carts I have used have an off line payment method. It just collects the info. If the item is available either from us direct or by our suppliers and it can be shipped by the next day (if ordered to late to be shipped that day) the card is charged.

That way if we have a large ticket order and it is not in stock, it does not tie up the money like an authorization does. Some don't have an extra 800.00 bucks available on their CC's to order from someplace else. This works really well for us and keeps the customers happy.

If I'm paying by pay-pal, I always see if it is available before I order.

MY problem doesnt occur with the money...the problem occurs when, as a customer, i am not notified BEFORE i purchase that a third party is involved, whom the online store i am purchasing from has no control over, and brings an X factor into the purchasing equation.

I feel the customer should be told up front that the item they are wanting buy falls under this category, and something out of the online store's control could possibly happen.

that is what i am upset about

MY problem doesnt occur with the money...the problem occurs when, as a customer, i am not notified BEFORE i purchase that a third party is involved, whom the online store i am purchasing from has no control over, and brings an X factor into the purchasing equation.

I feel the customer should be told up front that the item they are wanting buy falls under this category, and something out of the online store's control could possibly happen.

that is what i am upset about

If you’re going to buy on line from a company other than the big box stores, or a specialty store that just sells something like water filters, you have to expect it. In our policies statement we even say we ship from the closest warehouse, however no one EVER reads our policies. :laughoff:

Most or our customers don't care where we get it, or how we get it, they just want it yesterday for the price promised. You would be amazed at the people who order a full set of tires and wheels on a Wed and want it by Friday for the big trip.

We have almost 4000 items, we can't even show if the item is in stock or not. Since we would have to comb through each and every on-line item and compare it to the 14 warehouses to see if it is in stock. It is an impossible task for a small business to do. So we don't show that an item is in stock or not.

Keep in mind, small business keeps the big guys prices in check. It was us small retailers that got the big places like Rocky Mountain ATV and Dennis Kirk to finally offer free shipping. If I got anywhere close to retail for the items we sell, I could afford to hire more people to do inventory on the web site. Thing like tire and wheel kits, with all the home based people selling them, just to keep competitive, we are lucky to hold a 15% gross.

It's happened to me more times than i can count with some of the online companies. The only thing you can do is to not order from them anymore. I have ordered from Sandblasted before and they have the best customer service by far. I ordered a Rhino radiator from them online not knowing they were in Boulder City and to make a long story short they called me at home to have me pick it up from them and saved me shipping costs.

It's happened to me more times than i can count with some of the online companies. The only thing you can do is to not order from them anymore. I have ordered from Sandblasted before and they have the best customer service by far. I ordered a Rhino radiator from them online not knowing they were in Boulder City and to make a long story short they called me at home to have me pick it up from them and saved me shipping costs.

Thank you! :laughoff: Like they say, even a blind chicken gets a lil corn once-in-awhile :D Sometimes we get lucky

Never shop on Amazon then. That's how they run it. I ordered through them a couple of christmas' ago and the gifts came from all over the place; texas, Florida, Pennsylvani etc. it worked out for me though. I was able to cancel a backordered item and order something different.

Never shop on Amazon then. That's how they run it. I ordered through them a couple of christmas' ago and the gifts came from all over the place; texas, Florida, Pennsylvani etc. it worked out for me though. I was able to cancel a backordered item and order something different.

yep... F*CK Amazon.com! That place is bullshit. I (almost) ordered my camera lens from there. Then there was a HUGE problem with checkout after it was submitted. Then I couldn't even cancel or get my order to go through so I couldn't even buy it from somewhere else until the problem was resolved. (I didn't wanna pay $2K TWICE lol) Then I called and talked to some jackass in like TEZAKISTAN or some chit. :guns::duniemonkie: :clown: He said I'd have to wait until billing took care of the issue before they could do anything. I said TRANSFER me to them! He said sorry sir I can't do that. WHY THE EFF NOT??? Then he said I should probably try and buy it somewhere else? :?: :grin: Glad I did too. B&H video/ photo was da chit! :clap:

I found out the smokin deal through Amazon was no longer once the issue was resolved the next day or 2 later. Imagine that! EFF THAT PLACE! :laughoff:

I feel better now. :lol::laughoff:

I never shop on line for that reason yeah it will be cheaper but at what cost? not for me thanks I rather go directly to the store and pick whatever item i need inspect the item and if there is any problems i can b*tch right away not way till i send the :poop: back wait and not have it when i need it, so in short :laughoff: on line shopping just is not for me

I never shop on line for that reason yeah it will be cheaper but at what cost? not for me thanks I rather go directly to the store and pick whatever item i need inspect the item and if there is any problems i can b*tch right away not way till i send the :poop: back wait and not have it when i need it, so in short :laughoff: on line shopping just is not for me

off road chit here in bako is a complete fuggin ripoff.... MSRP and above for EVERYTHING.....they wont even deal on large purchases..

thats why i use online a lot...

startin to suck tho

I've had very bad dealings with disputes when Pay Pal was involved.

The best way to buy online is with American Express.

They will back you up and get your money back.

Visa and Pay Pal won't.

Pal Pal is owned by Google and is starting to take over online purchasing.

They will soon be the Ticketmaster of web transactions and that ain't good.

off road chit here in bako is a complete fuggin ripoff.... MSRP and above for EVERYTHING.....they wont even deal on large purchases..

startin to suck tho

I like the service of UTV crap, but they have theee highest prices.

In many cases 50% higher.

Visa and Pay Pal won't.

Pal Pal is owned by Google and is starting to take over online purchasing.

They will soon be the Ticketmaster of web transactions and that ain't good.

I fuggin hate Ticketmaster and avoid them at all costs. :pile:

Hey, is Ticketmaster trendy? :beat: Add that to the list of trendy stuff I hate! :freakin_nuts:

startin to suck tho

thumpertalk or extreeme on the site here mang.. :D 40k happy customers at thumpertalk and we have been doing it the way you dont like since day one lol.

Visa and Pay Pal won't.

I've got my MBNA Visa linked with my PayPal account and out of 766 100% positive feedback transactions both buying and selling on eBay I've had to use the dispute resolution twice. Both rulings were in my favor but the bad guys had since closed their accounts or had them closed by eBay. Called MBNA with the dispute resolution number and they were more than happy to refund my money pretty much on the spot. Very few questions asked and no hassle at all. Don't know if all Visa issuing banks operate that way but MBNA has a big thumbs up from me.

Having said all of that, since eBay purchased PayPal several years back they have both gone to shiatt. Fees have gone way up and make it hard for us little folks to get pleasure out of hooking up fellow Americans with good deals and getting them back in return. Much like Ticketmaster. Effe 'em all...