Towing a Toy Hauler Advice

eli

My half ton Titan is rated to tow 9,400 pounds but....

I'm looking at 2000 21' Thor Wanderer. It's loaded with options which are not helium filled so I'm not sure I trust the empty weight on the builders plate. Newer toy haulers seem to be lighter at least if you believe the advertising. I don't know that I want to run the Titan at max tow rating. I don't mind going uphill and downhill slow but don't like to see the temps get too high. Upgrading the truck isn't gonna happen. I owe I owe.....

So am I gonna be happy pulling this thing? Are the newer ones really that much lighter given the same 21' length? Should I be looking at nothing above a 18'? What do you think of the Thor Wanderer in general?

Eli

we pulled our 19 loaded with options...gvwrs @ 10k....tow cap on the tahoe was 7900.....it did ok...never maxed it out.....

i think if you take it easy, you should be fine....ask to hook it up and tow it first...see what YOU think...after all YOU have to pay for it....

i would say go for it

I'm looking at 2000 21' Thor Wanderer. It's loaded with options which are not helium filled so I'm not sure I trust the empty weight on the builders plate. Newer toy haulers seem to be lighter at least if you believe the advertising. I don't know that I want to run the Titan at max tow rating. I don't mind going uphill and downhill slow but don't like to see the temps get too high. Upgrading the truck isn't gonna happen. I owe I owe.....

So am I gonna be happy pulling this thing? Are the newer ones really that much lighter given the same 21' length? Should I be looking at nothing above a 18'? What do you think of the Thor Wanderer in general?

Eli

I was looking at a similar trailer.. And debating pulling it with my Nissan Armada..

i think if you take it easy, you should be fine....ask to hook it up and tow it first...see what YOU think...after all YOU have to pay for it....

i would say go for it

We had an Expedition with a towing capacity of 9500 lbs. We bought a 23' weekend warrior superlite and it BOGGED big time going north on the 15 past Apex. We only had it loaded with water, no toys at the time. The dealer assured us it would be fine since we were well under the towing capacity.

If you can hook it up and drive around with it, do it for sure. Not sure where you live, but if possible take it up a hill. For instance in Henderson the 95 going towards Boulder City is a good judge of pulling power. Just my opinion.

Good luck on the purchase.

I think these "tow ratings" on newer trucks don't take into acount the fact of trailer size. That Titan might be able to tow a heavy construction flatbed trailer with a Bobcat on it just fine, but take the same weight toyhauler that is really big and tall and it affects the truck in a whole different manner.

Sounds like too much for a Titan or an Armada to me. It may be able to pull it just fine (powerwise), but what about being able to TOW it and stop it safely? I'm not talking about perfect weather conditions down a straight road either. I'm talking about real-life chit that happens when on the road. I have encountered quite a bit of chit on the road and would have been effed if I was over size on the trailer or under size on the truck. :ah:

I say if you have to ask if your truck is gonna be ok, then it isn't. Just my 2 cents.

Eli

well eli when i had my 2005 19ft tailgater i towed it with my 2004 5.7 seqoia and had no problem going up hill or down hill with it and my temperature gage never went up the only thing is that i had to spend more was on gas money. in the hauler i had four quad plus gas station and water tanks the only thing that i had to get was a weigth distribution and the sway control and my seqoia is rated for 6,500

Eli

Being the trailer is only 21 feet it probably weighs 6,000-7,000 lbs max. I think you'd be fine towing it. I'm sure you can get some air bags to help the suspension handle the load. Before you buy you might want to have the seller run the trailer over the scales at a truck stop to make sure you are safe.

Edited by Quicksilver

I think these "tow ratings" on newer trucks don't take into acount the fact of trailer size. That Titan might be able to tow a heavy construction flatbed trailer with a Bobcat on it just fine, but take the same weight toyhauler that is really big and tall and it affects the truck in a whole different manner.

Sounds like too much for a Titan or an Armada to me. It may be able to pull it just fine (powerwise), but what about being able to TOW it and stop it safely? I'm not talking about perfect weather conditions down a straight road either. I'm talking about real-life chit that happens when on the road. I have encountered quite a bit of chit on the road and would have been effed if I was over size on the trailer or under size on the truck. :ah:

I say if you have to ask if your truck is gonna be ok, then it isn't. Just my 2 cents.

My logic. With the proper equiptment i.e. Brake controller, sway control, proper setup. As long as it isnt much heavier than 15-20% below what the mfg says i can tow as far as weight i should be ok provided i take my time go slow and drive with caution. hell pauly paul tows that 22' carson with his 4.8 1/2ton so why couldnt a titan town something of size as well. just gotta be prepared and do it proper.

Being the trailer is only 21 feet it probably weighs 6,000-7,000 lbs max. I think you'd be fine towing it. I'm sure you can get some air bags to help the suspension handle the load. Before you buy you might want to have the seller run the trailer over the scales at a truck stop to make sure you are safe.

Already got the air bags and a great brake controller. I'm very happy with both.

Pete....in a previous life 80,000 pounds gross meant 80,000 pounds. The load could be sloshing around, swinging around, not there at all in high cross winds, wide, high or even well over 80,000 pounds and I had to learn to deal with it. Didn't always mean I liked it very much.

You could pull 80,000 with a 318 Detroit and hate it. A 350 Cummings and like it. Or 3406 Cat and love it. The 1693 Cat I had you drove by the temps because it would pull until it melted. Got in the habit and still pull hills that way. If the tranny, engine, or rear end start going up too much I drop a gear. If they get too high I stop and cool things off. The key is not waiting to do something till you are in trouble. I don't go down hills faster than I went up them. I don't want my brakes overheated when I need them the most. I think people that ride their brakes all the way down the hill belong well in front of me anyway.

It's not a matter of being legal I will be going the scale. The questions are not because I doubt the truck. It's a matter of will I hate it, like it, or love it? A million accident free miles happened because I was extremely careful and a bit lucky. I wasn't pulling a toy hauler at the time. So I'm asking those that have. I listened to a lot of drivers when I first got started.....some of them were full of crap.....some of them weren't.

Eli

Well I personally think that you won't like it unless you only plan on towing somewhat short distances. I've towed 9-10,000 pounds with a half ton truck for over a year and a half and it gets real old after a while.

I think anything over a 19' toyhauler is gonna work a half ton pretty good. I'm not saying you can't do it. I'm just saying you are working your truck to the max (motor, brakes, suspension) and it also becomes very draining and tiresome (mentally) on yourself to tow like that. Trust me I held off as long as I possibly could before upgrading to a bigger truck that was gonna put a big azz dent in my wallet and bank account. :headbang1: It sucked, but it is SO worth it now. :lol:

Good luck, eli. :laughing:

oh yeah and more thing I just remembered....

Here's a list of people who have towed a 19-23 ft trailer with a half ton.....

-me

-racnjasen

-sand~snake

-pauly paul

-kens colors

-Mike (Nicole in Vegas' husband)

...and out of those people ever single person upgraded to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck within a year or 2 of towing with a half ton.

I'm not trying to be an azz or talk chit about your truck eli, I just want to make you aware of what to expect. Your gonna start looking at bigger trucks if you go bigger on your trailer. ;)

deleted....

...and out of those people ever single person upgraded to a 3/4 or 1 ton truck within a year or 2 of towing with a half ton.

I'm not trying to be an azz or talk chit about your truck eli, I just want to make you aware of what to expect. Your gonna start looking at bigger trucks if you go bigger on your trailer. ;)

Thanks Pete now I'm learning something...

Eli

Thanks Pete now I'm learning something...

Eli

Well spent the evening learning more...

If a Thor 217TB is too much....a Thor 18TB isn't enough. Can't get a 100" RZR in a 85" cargo area:( The pop out front bed was kind of different. I like the idea of going to bed without unloading. Although I don't think that's gonna happen in less than 23'.

So what do you guys like for a half ton and a RZR that isn't gonna break my wallet.

Eli

I dont know about the titan but I do know about the armada Same motor and tranny. I had a 2004 and it pulled no problem. In fact it pulled 10XS better than my lincoln navigator. Keep your weight below 8000lbs and you will be fine those trucks have some ballz nothing like the F-150 or 1/4 Ton chevy. Tranny is very solid. do not go too small on the hauler either. You will only wish soon after for a bigger one. As everyone has mentioned try to give it a test run and see how it does. You may be impressed with the performance. One last thing I will mention is that I did trade my Armada in for my 06 F-250 Powerstroke.

I went from a fully loaded flatbed with a 1/2 ton(5.7 ltr) to a 25ft toyhauler with a 3/4 ton(6 ltr). I would be a little nervous if I was outside of my tow ratings, as chit happens and I wanna be damn sure I'm covered.

I do have a friend that towed a 23ft Superlite with his 1/2 ton.

Good luck withyour choice.

I have a 04 F150 and tow a 23' WW superlite. I do fine, i have weight distro. bars and sway bars. Going up Baker grade i bottom out at around 40-45 mph. When its cold, i do a little better. NOW, the hill outside of Hurricane going to Coral Pink....hmm....maybe 30 or so. But it does fine. just some info.

Just watch your temp guage and get it up on the RPM so you don't get detonation. When the outside temp is 120+ and I'm pulling (33ft 5.9 diesel pusher/22ft enclosed with 2 Seadoos, quad and DRZ) the Needles I40 grade leaving the river I have a 2.5 gal water bottle with a windshield washer pump and drip tubing with 4 misters in the fan shroud using the aux heater fan switch in the dash when temp starts rising, the temp drops fast with the evaporation. Just a tip that works. Be cool dude :2cents:

Well spent the evening learning more...

If a Thor 217TB is too much....a Thor 18TB isn't enough. Can't get a 100" RZR in a 85" cargo area:( The pop out front bed was kind of different. I like the idea of going to bed without unloading. Although I don't think that's gonna happen in less than 23'.

So what do you guys like for a half ton and a RZR that isn't gonna break my wallet.

Eli

the attitude FK 19 and Fk 22 it is made in a superlite too i believe.

i can fit my ranger and my son's quad in it...so your rzr would be G2G

-me

-racnjasen

-sand~snake

-pauly paul

-kens colors

you can add me to that list too

nice post 'shack :2cents:

-me

-racnjasen

-sand~snake

-pauly paul

-kens colors

Oh yeah, 1/2tons axles carry the weight AND move the truck where 3/4 tons axles just move the truck and are floaters, but if a 1/2 ton breaks an axle it's bye bye wheel.

I have a 2.5 gal water bottle with a windshield washer pump and drip tubing with 4 misters in the fan shroud using the aux heater fan switch in the dash when temp starts rising, the temp drops fast with the evaporation. Just a tip that works. Be cool dude :rolleyes:

:shake:

That's one fart smellow smart fellow right there! :booty::blury:

Good idea, Lee. I can just see you now fixating on that temp gauge and then looking over at your radiator super soaker button and letten her rip. :bert: :shake::watching::2cents:

:shake:

That's one fart smellow smart fellow right there! :rolleyes::blury:

Good idea, Lee. I can just see you now fixating on that temp gauge and then looking over at your radiator super soaker button and letten her rip. :bert: :shake::watching::2cents:

I often let er rip and just walking around ..... :booty: