Tips, Tricks and other Ideas

sand chick

Well, I was fine tooth combing the hauler yesterday and finishing up preperation for Utah here in a couple of weeks. I normally do this before each season, making sure each and every nut, bolt, screw, and washer is in place and tight. I was tightening the bolts for the tie down anchors and found three out of the twenty four had worn enough to be stripped out. Quick trip to the hardware store for 24 nuts and 24 lock washers and a fast slide up under the hauler and all is well. Shouldn't have to worry about anymore of them ever stripping again. I will add that to my list of pre season checks though.

On a side note, the store I went to was having a customer appreciation sale and drawing and called the ticket number I had while I was there. Won me a 1Gal. 1HP ShopVac. Mounted perfectly above the cabinets in the hauler. Can't beat that...

Edited by aceisback

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Using the OEM heater in a 33ft motorhome on cold Dumont trips used lots of propane not to mention the blower draws 8.2 amps and would drain the original 2-12V "RV" batteries enough to have to use the jump switch (engine + coach batteries) to start the generator. The OEM forced air heater (convection/heats air) when it cycles on consumes 31000btu (.34 gal or 1.4lbs) of propane per hour at 76% effiency This catalytic heater (radient/heats objects) on high consumes 6000btu (.07 gal or .28lbs) at over 99% efficiency :?: Translated: This catalytic heater is a propane miser that uses no electric power (piezo ignition) :beercheers:

post-1632-1250464019_thumb.jpg

That looks like a good idea except for all the children and drunk people stumbling around would nock it over in my hauler. I would most likely be the first one to do it.

Actually I made the legs and put the long line on it to move it to the back if it's freezing, they are made to bolt onto a cabinet or wall and if you choose to hinge it you can rotate it left or right to point down the length of your home/hauler .... it's radient heat (directional) so it heats you or objects 1st then the objects heat the air by convection. The highest temperature inside is only 700 deg at max, no flame. I put it in the very front below the TV pointing down the middle. The grill is pretty warm but won't cook you.

Another little thing is in the motorhome you hear whats happening unlike the haulers but the results are the same, the cabinet doors, whether spring loaded or latched vibrate and rub while traveling, even the toilet lid on the seat starts wearing dents etc. I put those little self adhesive felt pads on everything. As I did this I noticed the cabinet doors were all cracking on the back at the ends of the verticle sides where the hinges are, because of the way they dovetailed/glue & stapled the framework and /or because it was solid oak and splitting the grain. The doors are like a picture frame with a slot around the inner edge and the centers just sit in the frame, they aren't glued .... there's 2 little soft pieces of rubbery stuff in the slot of each of the 4 sides to keep the center part centered so there's constant outward pressure, not now after the wood glue aroung the centers and a composite in the cracks.

Well, I was fine tooth combing the hauler yesterday and finishing up preperation for Utah here in a couple of weeks. I normally do this before each season, making sure each and every nut, bolt, screw, and washer is in place and tight. I was tightening the bolts for the tie down anchors and found three out of the twenty four had worn enough to be stripped out. Quick trip to the hardware store for 24 nuts and 24 lock washers and a fast slide up under the hauler and all is well. Shouldn't have to worry about anymore of them ever stripping again. I will add that to my list of pre season checks though.

On a side note, the store I went to was having a customer appreciation sale and drawing and called the ticket number I had while I was there. Won me a 1Gal. 1HP ShopVac. Mounted perfectly above the cabinets in the hauler. Can't beat that...

i have one of those in my garage...THEY SUCK :beercheers: works real good around the garage. i just wish it could be used as a blower too.

• 1 month later...

Just saw a "PAM" commericial and reminded me of my other tip.

Spray a light coat of cooking spray in the toilet in the hauler. Makes it very easy to clean it! Those of you that tried it know what I'm talking about. I have had 2 people that have tried it and have agreed it makes a BIG difference. Stuff doesn't stick, it just slides right down :D:D

Edited by ~JILL~

Just saw a "PAM" commericial and reminded me of my other tip.

Spray a light coat of cooking spray in the toilet in the hauler. Makes it very easy to clean it! Those of you that tried it know what I'm talking about. I have had 2 people that have tried it and have agreed it makes a BIG difference. Stuff doesn't stick, it just slides right down :D:D

That is unless you like bowl clingers. My thoughts are if it works for Charlie, it will work for any one! :mischevious:

• 5 years later...