Tips, Tricks and other Ideas

sand chick

We are all always looking for ideas to make camping, duning, and hauling easier...

I have learned quite a few tricks and tips from DDR members that have made camping life easier... but they are in this thread and that thread and spread out all over the site.. with dune season coming in a couple of months I thought I would see what others have discovered through thier years of camping and duning and hauling..

Some of my favorites:

Run2it:

Reguarding the mounting of a camera such as the GoPro...

You might have a reason to pen GoPro rule #1- When shooting video in a vehicle use a safety lanyard attached to the vehicle.

and if you can't see the cam while driving use a long lanyard with slack attached so you can see the slack, if you lose slack the cam is dangling by the lanyard :laughing:

Trick we got from Jill and Charlie about how to keep the cost of propane down when heating your hauler. So many of us have the big haulers and have to heat the whole back end up as well as the front living quarters.. makes no sense to heat the back end at night if no one is sleeping back there... A sheet and some clips close off your garage area... clips are very inexpensive and most people have an extra old sheet..

post-2396-1250040262_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1250040334_thumb.jpg

I have two "banker boxes" that I use to transport food to and from the hauler.... making packing easier then goiing back and forth with small loads.

I also have an excellent 2 part checklist & menu/shopping list so you will never forget anything... but its in excel and I don't know how to convert it to PDF and I have tried attaching it but it doesn't work.. so if you want it and have excel PM me and I can email it to you! :blink:

I know I have learned a few other tips for making camping easier from this site, but I can't remember where they all are...

So lets hear what other things you have learned over the years making your life easier....

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Like Jody said, don't heat unused space, I installed an accordian door to the bedroom and that cut the space by a 3rd to heat, if you use something air doesn't pass through, even better. Lots of things you can do, depends on how much you use your rig to justify cost. I virtually live in my motorhome so $2000 solar setup & 8 6V batteries = no generator using the microwave, sat dish & 32LCD, computer etc unless it's really cloudy or I blast stereo (6-12" subs)for awhile . A 6000 btu Olympian catalytic heater uses no elect so your batteries don't die at 4am and propane lasts many trips intead of 2 trips, costs $300 but has saved me lots of propane. My brother said my "cover windows with reflectix" (2 sided aluminized plastic air pocket insulation, Home Depot etc) cut his heating costs by half in his WW. The "E ultra-platinum" window tint helps also. LED lights are the best elect savers, flourescents are better than regular 12v bulbs that are elect hogs. Stop drafts, sand piles and all the super fine dust inside during high winds with white or black elect tape over the drain slots in your windows, motorhomers turn front heater/vent controls to off. The expanding foam stuff works great to insulate and to fill around whatever leaks, I have a swamp cooler that revealed lots of leaky spots, cool air coming out all kinds of places. 6v golf cart batts are the least expensive batt for living area (pairs connected in series) and discharging lower than 12.25 volts (50% of rated cap, any battery) shortens it's life, better to charge twice as often for half the time. A inexpensive voltmeter (Harbor Freight $3) where you can see it. If you have more than the usual 2 12 volts get a real charger, 40-50 amp continuous so your generator doesn't run hours for the 10amp built in charger (usually). That should do it for now :laughing:

Instead of using your lights inside all of time, put a bunch of those LED votive candles. Battery operated and last for ever. I put all over the MH. Nice ambient light is all ya need to go wee wee or grab something real quick. The battery candles come in all different sizes and colors.

Instead of using your lights inside all of time, put a bunch of those LED votive candles. Battery operated and last for ever. I put all over the MH. Nice ambient light is all ya need to go wee wee or grab something real quick. The battery candles come in all different sizes and colors.

I got some small motion lights and set them against the wall on the floor everytime we get up in the night the come on and after a few minutes they go out.

Jodi, those clips work great when the sun is comming right in the bedroom window in the morning, I hang a bath towel up with the clips and cover the windows, helps when you want to sleep in.

Costco at one time had LED rope lights, got one and strung it around the ceiling edge, fit perfect from the MH door around the front and all the way down the left side, and uses less juice than the 1 18" flourescent over the sink. Costco never restocked :assblast: . put a LED 12V tail light bulb in 1 of the bathroom fixtures, like desertskyz said plenty of light, especially middle of the night when a reg light will leave you blind when shut off.

Charlie just reminded me; the best way so save electricity and ware and tear on your generator is to use short blue extention cords then the power doesn't have to travel so far.

That's also why you put your inverter (12V to 120V) as close as possible to your batteries, less than 5' and you still need big cable like jumper cable minimum. A length of conductor will have a certain voltage drop, 1-2 volt drop from 120V is nothing but from 12V is a problem.

Nice list, but if I had to load all of that in and out each trip :dayum::beercheers: ....so our tip is to leave as much as possible in the hauler. We are working on having a full set of 'hauler' items that we never have to take out.

We leave cooking/eating utensils, bedding (2sets), towels(2sets), hygiene items, pet items, some cold weather gear/clothing, all riding gear, canned food/spices (non perishables), tools, extra fluids/parts for the rides, chairs, bbq, air compressor, etc....

We only have to load food and a few misc items in and out each trip. 1 thing we tend to forget is the shovel, so that is added to the list of things to buy specifically to leave in the hauler.

Nice list, but if I had to load all of that in and out each trip :dayum::beercheers: ....so our tip is to leave as much as possible in the hauler. We are working on having a full set of 'hauler' items that we never have to take out.

We leave cooking/eating utensils, bedding (2sets), towels(2sets), hygiene items, pet items, some cold weather gear/clothing, all riding gear, canned food/spices (non perishables), tools, extra fluids/parts for the rides, chairs, bbq, air compressor, etc....

We only have to load food and a few misc items in and out each trip. 1 thing we tend to forget is the shovel, so that is added to the list of things to buy specifically to leave in the hauler.

There you go ..... leave everything in your hauler, if you need it at home, there's the hauler, if you need it at the dunes, there's the hauler. Unless you are in a CC&R restricted tract or small lot :idea:

That's also why you put your inverter (12V to 120V) as close as possible to your batteries, less than 5' and you still need big cable like jumper cable minimum. A length of conductor will have a certain voltage drop, 1-2 volt drop from 120V is nothing but from 12V is a problem.

That would have to be a nevermind, you'd have to know the source of that information.

It can only be blue extention cordS

Soo you never run out of anything in your hauler? Take your bedding, clothing, towels, ect into wash them?? Stuff gets left behind and or forgotten and needs to be replaced..

We leave all of those things in the hauler as well, except all of the bedding, clothing, towels, etc. need to be washed. During the season when the pots, pans and other utenils are being used frequently I like to take them out and give them a good dishwasher scrubbing!

I am glad that you NEVER have to take anything in or out of your hauler to wash it :idea:

Its only a list to make sure nothing gets left behind not things you HAVE to put in and out of your hauler/moho/camper every trip.. this thread is about making things EASIER afterall! :shake:

If you want to complain about something.. find the BLM thread :beercheers: instead of jumping all over something I post to HELP out other duners!!

:dayum:

:shake:

Chalk it up to lack of sleep :idea: and coffee :shake: and being tired of people complaining :lol: about dumb stuff!! :beercheers: I retract my previous statement! :dayum:

Back to hearing about the tips please!

Wingy said something at work yesterday that was a good idea as well.... And I have seen it in other peoples haulers..

A small dry erase board to make a list of things that you run out of or think of needing while you are out in the dunes :lol:

Soo you never run out of anything in your hauler? Take your bedding, clothing, towels, ect into wash them?? Stuff gets left behind and or forgotten and needs to be replaced..

We leave all of those things in the hauler as well, except all of the bedding, clothing, towels, etc. need to be washed. During the season when the pots, pans and other utenils are being used frequently I like to take them out and give them a good dishwasher scrubbing!

I am glad that you NEVER have to take anything in or out of your hauler to wash it :shake:

Its only a list to make sure nothing gets left behind not things you HAVE to put in and out of your hauler/moho/camper every trip.. this thread is about making things EASIER afterall! :lol:

If you want to complain about something.. find the BLM thread :beercheers: instead of jumping all over something I post to HELP out other duners!!

EXCUSE ME MS. PISSY :idea:

.....I was in no way complaining about anything! I was giving a TIP, which was the point of this thread right?? Do I need permission to post in YOUR tread or comment to YOUR post? I don't know what your problem is, so get over it, nothing was directed at you personally.

Nope we never run out of anything in the hauler, we replace anything that needs to be before its gone and before the next trip. Excuse me if I don't have to make a reminder list to refresh the daily use items back in, don't forget toilet paper :lol:. Yup, everything gets washed and as soon as it is finished in the wash it gets put right back into the hauler so nothing is left behind :lol: ....not hard to do when its parked in the backyard. Sorry if it wasn't made specific enough for your understanding..let me clarify for you.. Whatever we take from the hauler we replace asap and before the next trip, so that the same things are always there and we don't forget things. When we 'borrow' something from the hauler we put it back when we are finished with it, I don't need a note to remember to put it back.

Maybe I should make a list so I don't forget anything...

1. Take out dirty laundry/dishes

2. Wash laundry/dishes

3. Replace items in hauler

:dayum:

Anyway, for those actually looking for tips. We used to use dishes from the house and spare bedding and towels from the house, etc. and had to load everything in and out each trip and we hated it. So we decided that we would have a 'hauler set' of everything that is used on every trip. Since it can get expensive to completely stock the hauler with items all at once, we have added a few things at a time until we are no longer 'borrowing' items from the house for each trip. We started with bedding and towels, then added dishes/cooking items, and then tools and emergency fix-it items. Then we added extras like 2 sets of towels, 2 sets of bedding in case we have company or someone needs to borrow an item. We can add food, clothes and toys and head out for a weekend anywhere and have everything we need. :shake:

Edited by Foxysandchick