Food Drive at the Poker Run

sand chick

Hey everyone, I have been getting involved this year with a local food bank. This year has been hard on alot of us, some more then others. There has been alot of people struggling just to make ends meet. With the holidays coming up, some feel it even a little bit more. This year the need for food in the food banks is so great that they have had to do away with their "adopt a family" program that they have had in the years past. They just didn't feel like they could care for all the families already trying to sign up starting about 3 months ago. While I know that times are tough right now, I remembered that it is even harder on others.

One of the gentlemen that I have been in contact with ia a hard worker, he was a construstion manager, making good money, his wife worked in accounting, they have three children. She was laid off in November of last year. They thought they would be ok, he was still working while she looked for another job. Then he lost his job, luckily they own their home out right and had not over extended themselves on new cars as they were saving for their children college. She has recently taken a job at a fast food resturant and he is back to doing general labor and handy man work, while they ride out these trying times. BUt the holidays are going to be a tough time for them, they always hosted their family dinners. This year it will be at someone else's house. But it really made me think that there are other families out there that are in the same position that may not have family here to lean on. It made me want to help even more....

So I have been working with the food bank and will have a food donation bin out at the registration booth at the Poker Run.

Here are a couple lists of the things that they are really looking for....

I know turkey's are the list, but please refrain from donating them as I don't have room to keep them in the hauler freezer :old:

Any help even a can of food is greatly appreciated!! They also mentioned "tolietries" tooth paste, tooth brushes, TP, deoderant, shampoos, soap... etc.

When the donation gets turned in it will be listed as from dumontduneriders.com

THANKS IN ADVANCE!!!!

post-2396-1257571691_thumb.jpg

post-2396-1257571718_thumb.gif

Edited by sand chick

I think this is a fantastic idea. Thanks for taking this on Jodi. Your right times are tough for everyone, but some are definately alot worse off than alot of us. I will definately be bringing some donations. Just think if every person on ddr brought just one can, man what an amazing inpact that could make for so many familes.

count me in for a sack or 2 full. Its very cool you are taking time to help some people out. You helpig with the food drive will make a kid smile and also fill his or her little belly!!!

As far as I know I'm in for Poker Run. You want me to bring a few boxes (school paper boxes) for you to put the stuff in?

Sounds good to me!!

I have a big plastic bin that I am going to bring out and hopefully over fill, so I will need something for the over flow! That would be awesome!! Thanks Skyz!! :headbang1:

Sounds good to me!!

I have a big plastic bin that I am going to bring out and hopefully over fill, so I will need something for the over flow! That would be awesome!! Thanks Skyz!! :banghead:

I was able to score 4 School Paper Boxes and one large heavey duty box. Hell, I should just roll them around my neighbor hood and bring them out a ready full. :headbang1:

Edited by desertskyz

so is the poker run for charity???? or food bank next to charity???? how much does it cost? doesn't say on fliers!!!

The Food Drive is my baby. Every year (except last and the year before I did Toys for Tots) for the last 15 or so years I have always done whats called "Adopt a Family" usually run by your local shelter, food bank, Salvation Army, etc. they give you the number of family members and you go buy their Thanksgiving dinner, at Christmas time, you also get everyone's ages and a gift "wish list" and you get them gifts as well as dinner! Its just something that I have always done to "Pay it Forward" When my son was little I was a single mom scraping to make ends meet, I never took a hand out and work three jobs to give him what he needed. One year was really hard for me and someone (I am sure my mother) went behind my back and signed me up! It was such a relief for me that Christmas morning when I got up, my son had nothing on Christmas morning, then the door bell rang...

This year, when I contacted the charities to do the "Adopt a Family" they said the need for food was so great this year they had to do away with the program, so I asked how else I could help, they said Food Drive, I said let me see what I could do... then I thought.. Hmmmmm..... I will see if its ok to add a Food Drive onto the Poker Run..

So its completely seperate from the Poker Run.... thats why its not on the flyers

But when I turn in the donated cans of food, etc... the donation is not going to be listed as just from me.. but from DumontDuneRiders.com... since you guys are going to come forward and make this happen! :beercheers:

I hope that clears it up! Now lets scrape some cans together and feed some hungry children... there are after all millions of children that go hungry every year.....

Just Paying it Forward! :laughing:

Edited by sand chick

:shout: HEY EVERYONE!!

This just in on the Food Drive front....

dunefaster has generously donated a brand new helmet adult size large to the person who donates the most cans, etc of food!! :headbang1:

Just one more reason to bring in as many cans, etc!

A GREAT BIG THANKS TO DUNEFASTER! :laughing::laughoff::shocked::driver:

:shout: HEY EVERYONE!!

This just in on the Food Drive front....

dunefaster has generously donated a brand new helmet adult size large to the person who donates the most cans, etc of food!! :headbang1:

Just one more reason to bring in as many cans, etc!

A GREAT BIG THANKS TO DUNEFASTER! :laughing::laughoff::shocked::driver:

I will definitely donate some food. Your an angel for taking this on. The world is definitely a better place with people like you.