Towing Capacity

desertskyz

I have looked around and it looks like I can't tow crap with my truck. Maybe a wave runner. Without messing my tranny and rear end up

2000 Silverado, stepside, 4.8 liter V. 2 WD

All I really wanted was a small, very small toy hauler to put a quad in and go. But it looks like Im out of luck. :(

Anyone know something I don't.

I had the same truck: 4.8 1/2 ton auto(ext.cab).

I bought a 28' cargo box 4500 lbs. I had a sand rail, a quad, and a bike in it. couldn't have been over 7,500lbs. After 4 seasons of running to glamis, I was $2200 into a new tranny. Maybe a transcooler could've helped. Went and bought a 3500 dually, diesel, allisson :ahhhhh: No worries now.

Also, that light little truck got tossed around pretty bad with wind, or passing trucks...something to consider :driver:

It'll be hard. I'm sure there's something out there you can tow. However, with a 4.8 liter engine, that limits you, as well.

Chevy's 4.8 was strong enough for me, but the trans. was the weak link. Just watch what kinda weight you pull, and don't be too proud to back out of it on a hill. If it downshifts to 2nd taching 5500, just lift the right foot a bit :ahhhhh:

I would tow with it...but I d use an interceptor gauge by aeroforce and I d tune it. The interceptor lets you see nearly everything the pcm does, and in this case....knock retard and trans temp.

Most of the truck tuning I do is primarily to the trans. There isnt a lot to do with a stock engine, esspecially in a tow application, but there are great improvements to the trans. When, how hard, how long, lock up etc etc ...

Best if done with a trailer , witch is pretty easy for me since there is ussually a few around.

Edited by 1320

How about one of these. Its only 2140 lbs dry weight. It would hold 1 quad and has all the creature comforts.

Even with 50 gallons of water, a quad, food, cloths, etc etc.. You probably be at 3800 lbs loaded.

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=226076

Edited by 80grit

Carson Rebel 14ft~ 3200lbs

Carson Fun Runner/Titan 16ft~ 3400lbs

Forest River Work and Play 16ft~ 4000lbs

Weekend Warrior Super Cross 16-18ft~ 4000lbs

There's a couple options available, but finding one at a good price :dunno: .

:beercheers:

Enclosed trailer with an air mattress and a portable geni...

How about one of these. Its only 2140 lbs dry weight. It would hold 1 quad and has all the creature comforts.

Even with 50 gallons of water, a quad, food, cloths, etc etc.. You probably be at 3800 lbs loaded.

http://dunesport.com/view_toy_hauler.php?orderid=226076

I saw that a and thought :laughoff: But not sure of Carson is better or Dunesport. Anyway, Chris 1320 I might be checking with you about the tranny thing. I had a 5.7 in my 93 Silverado. Towed our 24ft. boat fully loaded back a forth to Cottonwood many times. But the tranny did go after about 5 years.

Well I'll keep looking and in the meantime just live vicariously through my neighbor. :laughing: Learn to drive the rail with more confidence and I can still put both 70's (whoops) :laughing: in the back of my truck and stay with Pat or mdthlfa. <<<<< Sorry Bob, I just invited myself.

Edited by desertskyz